Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

large wind driven crown fire, Bonny Doon area

5K views 69 replies 23 participants last post by  Rex_Skidmore 
#1 ·
started 2 hours ago, jumped to 30 acres in the first 30 minutes. it's now 90+ acres and forcast to grow to 400+ . winds of 30 mph+ are pushing it up out of the Scott Creek drainage towards Lockheed. Cal Fire has 15 engines [including the Bonny Doon part of Santa Cruz County fire on scene] and all the inmate fire fighters from camp Ben Lomand. two 6 engine stike teams are just arriving from out of county. more strike teams have been ordered.

this is going to get nasty

#7 ·
fire is over 1100 acres

I went out onto 35 and the glow of the fire reflecting off the smoke is amazing. it's miles long at the top of empire grade. makes the Martin fire look small by comparison

#8 ·
New fire in CZU, Jamison Creek Rd and Empire Grade Road, high on the ridge
MANDATORY EVACUATIONS - STRUCTURE THREAT(250 structures threatened in area of Swanton Rd.)
New fire breaking in La Honda? (Big Creek fire?)

Update: 22:30 - Per Branch 3, extreme fire behavior off Swanton road. LNU dispatching an immediate need ST 9140C.
Update: 22:20 - Sounds like it will be hitting some more structures in about an hour. IC requesting Three Local Gov. Strike Teams of Type 1 engines out of Santa Cruz for structure protection on Swanton Rd. The fire is going to hit their in about 1 hour.
Update: 22:10 - Per battalion 1613 giving an update to Morgan Hill as a lot of 800- 1000 acres heavy timber Command team requested
Update: 22:00 - Per B1712 on recon if the fire keeps push s/w the fire is heading toward the town of Davenport on Hwy 1, putting the fire at 700-800 ac. requesting IMT.
Evacuation reverse 911 calls starting for the area of Swanton Rd.
Update: 20:50 - Per IC fire has doubled in size 60-80 ac wind on it with some crowning, potential for 300-400 ac. Fuels in this area large redwood, brush, and grass.
Update: 20:40 - Per IC fire holding at 30+ ac, 2 spots out side the main fire both 1 ac.

IA: B1713 - Vegetation Fire near Empire Grade Road at Jamison Creek Road somewhat near of Bonny Doon. Difficult access, 25-30 ac wind driven in timber, unconfirmed 2 structures lost.
Resources: Request 10 type 3's, 2 wt, 2 s/t of crews, SCU, BEU, FKU sending Lima Dozer ST (9110-L) ,IC request for tomorrow 10 type 3 s/t,4 tankers,2 type 1 helo's,2 type 2's with crews and WT's,overhead,
Comms: Lockheed fire is moving over to CMD 2 tone 10
Fuels: Heavy Redwood Timber, Chamise, grasslands.
Weather: For 08-13-09 NWS

UPPER LEVEL TROUGH STILL EXPECTED TO MOVE INTO THE
PACIFIC NORTHWEST AND NORTHERN CALIFORNIA THURSDAY AND FRIDAY.
THIS WILL BRING SLIGHTLY COOLER TEMPERATURES AND A MODERATELY
DEEPER MARINE LAYER TO THE CENTRAL COAST. AS THE TROUGH EXITS...A
RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS IN OVER THE WEST COAST AND OFFSHORE
FLOW DEVELOPS. THIS SETUP WILL ALLOW AREAS OF THE NORTH AND EAST
BAY TO EXPERIENCE MODERATE NORTH AND NORTHEAST WINDS OVER THE
RIDGE TOPS AND POOR HUMIDITY RECOVERIES SATURDAY AND SUNDAY.

.THURSDAY...
SKY/WEATHER.........PARTLY CLOUDY...BECOMING SUNNY.
MAX TEMPERATURE.....76-83...ABOVE 2000 FT 85-89
24 HR TREND......LITTLE CHANGE.
MIN HUMIDITY........45-55%...ABOVE 2000 FT 25-35%.
24 HR TREND......5-10% WETTER.
20-FOOT WINDS.......NORTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH.
CWR (>0.10).........0%.
LAL.................1.
MARINE LAYER........NONE.
Video: KTVU raw footage: http://www.ktvu.com/video/20380003/index.html

#16 ·
Air recon has just reported that the fire has reached the trigger points , reverse 911 has been activated and all residents of the town of Bonny Doon should evacuate immediately [1500 plus homes]

#21 ·
Carl Hungus said:
Here's the best map I've seen so far. Felton Flyer, I've heard wind direction is expected to change this afternoon, pushing the fire South towards Bonny Doon.
thanks - this sux, deja vu from this time last year ... i'm getting my stuff together, I live on the east side of Empire at Smith ...

#23 ·
Spokeman said:
Buzzcut - I have prop up off Last Chance road (Pine Mountain), do you think we are ok, looking at the map it looks like the fire is more south? Just not sure, we have a cabin up their and camping gear. I guess i'll know when I go up in a few days for sure.
my friend Barbara who owns big creek ranch says that unless the wind switches directions that area is ok , no homes lost, swanton, big creek, last chance so far

#26 · (Edited)
U.S. Forest Service MODIS Active Fire Mapping

The fire can be tracked on the U.S. Forest Service MODIS Active Fire Mapping: https://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/wms.php On that page, I download the "Continental United States" "Fire Detections" KML files (Google Earth): https://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/kml/conus.kmz

Updated hourly, here is a screen shot of the current map:

[edit] Let me add this link for more info: https://calfire.blogspot.com/2009/08/ca-czu-lockheed-wui-firetimber-1000.html It is webpage/blogspot formatting hell, though.

///Charlie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.