Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, first time to post a message here. I ride a 2006 Cannondale F600. eastcoast Maryland rider. and i'm interested in trying some different tires... I'm riding Kevlar Velociraptors for now and am quite happy with them.. I do run them with low pressures....I don't don't know the PSI, but I keep them just enought so I don't hit the rim over roots and rocks..... Anyway, i'm hearing more and more about Large Volume (or Big-Air) tires and running lower pressures.... I like the idea, but when looking up tires on company sites, how can one tell if they air Large volume tires.... are not all 2.1 tires roughly the same Volume??? Is there a number or spec I should be looking for??? can someone send me a link to an example of a large volume tire..... I am interested in a XC tire which will not have a weight penalty... Thanks for anyones time.
Greenhill.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Doublecheck factory measurements

Most tires I have checked ended up smaller than claimed, off hand I can only think of one tire (2.4 firepro FR) that measures larger than claimed.
For instance the 2.4 Mutanoraptor is smaller than 2.2 and the 2.4 Schwalbe Nobby Nic is more of a 2.25. I've found I really like the 2.4 Nobby Nic on my local semi desert trails and they still weigh right at 600g, as do the Mutanoraptor 2.4 which has a tall but narrower than claimed width.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,452 Posts
greenhill said:
Anyway, i'm hearing more and more about Large Volume (or Big-Air) tires and running lower pressures.... I like the idea, but when looking up tires on company sites, how can one tell if they air Large volume tires.... are not all 2.1 tires roughly the same Volume???
Your Velociraptors are a good sized 2.1 - compared to, say a Maxxis High Roller 2.1, or a Panaracer Fire XC 2.1, the V-Raptors will be fatter. Compare them to a Tioga Blue Dragon 2.1 or Hutchinson Scorpion 2.0 and they will be slightly smaller. It is a frustrating situation when tyres marked as "2.1" end up being barely 2 inches wide. Some makers are quoting tread width as opposed to casing width. Some seem to just take a stab in the dark, and WTB for one, quotes tread and casing width in mm.

To make things more confusing, some makers are making tyres marked "2.0" that are actually fatter than their 2.1's - Maxxis have a few like this. This new crop of "2.0" tyres are generally marketed as "high volume" XC tyres.

Shiggy's tyre site give real measurements of a lot of tyres - casing and tread - so have a look at that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys for your responses. thanks for the Website too, I was'nt aware of Shiggy... I'll have to do some thorough reading....

So basically... the higher the number 2.0, 2.1, 2.2.....etc the Larger the volume??
thanks again....
my goal was a Large Volume XC tire i can run with LOW, LOW pressures and not have a weight penalty.
thanks again.
Greenhill.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
greenhill said:
thanks guys for your responses. thanks for the Website too, I was'nt aware of Shiggy... I'll have to do some thorough reading....

So basically... the higher the number 2.0, 2.1, 2.2.....etc the Larger the volume??
thanks again....
my goal was a Large Volume XC tire i can run with LOW, LOW pressures and not have a weight penalty.
thanks again.
Greenhill.
Well it varies. Generally the size printed on a tire refers to the Tread width, but the volume may be higher or lower than that. Shiggy has posted most of those numbers (including casing height and tread depth) so you should have enough info to decide from there.

What do you mean by LOW, LOW pressure?
If you want a big sub-600g tire that will run at 25psi, you may be dreaming.

I think someone posted on another thread that Maxxis Advantage 2.4 are pretty big volume tires, but more AM oriented.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fsrxc said:
Well it varies. Generally the size printed on a tire refers to the Tread width, but the volume may be higher or lower than that. Shiggy has posted most of those numbers (including casing height and tread depth) so you should have enough info to decide from there.

What do you mean by LOW, LOW pressure?
If you want a big sub-600g tire that will run at 25psi, you may be dreaming.

I think someone posted on another thread that Maxxis Advantage 2.4 are pretty big volume tires, but more AM oriented.
Yeah, something like 25-28psi is the range i'm looking for, for a 600-700gm tire... I'm pretty comfy on my V-raptors at these pressures, However i have to admit that I found a root with my rear rim which now has a very slight hop, only noticable on the stand...If i'm not too crazy, this works and the ride is quite smooth for a hardtail... Anyway, i just wanted to explore some options to get a little more absorbancy without adding a ton of weight.... I just may have to do some experimenting.....
Thanks for your help.
Greenhill.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
greenhill said:

Not really. It "should" be the case but it is not. Stated tire width tends to be more about the tread width, not the casing volume. There are some "2.00" tires that are higher volume than other "2.25" tires.

Use the spec charts on my tire site to compare. I use a "Volume Index" that is the casing width x casing height. The volume range of 2.0-2.10 tires is incredible.

·
4,452 Posts
EDDIE JONES said:
Again, Geax Sturdy 2.25's. Huge volume. Really tall and not too heavy
Yep - one of my neighbours has some 2.25 Sedonas on his Gitane hardtail. Fat and tall - as long as you don't mind the green sidewall......

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Sideknob said:
Yep - one of my neighbours has some 2.25 Sedonas on his Gitane hardtail. Fat and tall - as long as you don't mind the green sidewall......
Geax dropped the colored sidewalls 3+ years ago. Never available on the Sturdy.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
shiggy said:
Not really. It "should" be the case but it is not. Stated tire width tends to be more about the tread width, not the casing volume. There are some "2.00" tires that are higher volume than other "2.25" tires.

Use the spec charts on my tire site to compare. I use a "Volume Index" that is the casing width x casing height. The volume range of 2.0-2.10 tires is incredible.
Thanks Shiggy, I do plan on spending some time on your site and doing some research.....
Quick question, What excactly is the "casing" of the tire????
thanks,
greenhill.

·
4,452 Posts
shiggy said:
Geax dropped the colored sidewalls 3+ years ago. Never available on the Sturdy.
One LBS here is still selling the puke green wire beaded ones - NOS in that case. They still had a few of the original Hook / Warp pair in the rack too.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I recently purchased a Maxxis Advantage 2.4, and it's huge compared to a Michelin Hot S 2.2 or Panaracer Fire XC 2.1. Both wider and taller.

A question I had though is about the minimum inflation stated on the tires - I've noticed for most it's at least 35psi. What do they base that on?
Obviously people go below that recommended figure particularly if they're not clydes and want more grip in certain terrain.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
energetix said:
I recently purchased a Maxxis Advantage 2.4, and it's huge compared to a Michelin Hot S 2.2 or Panaracer Fire XC 2.1. Both wider and taller.

A question I had though is about the minimum inflation stated on the tires - I've noticed for most it's at least 35psi. What do they base that on?
Obviously people go below that recommended figure particularly if they're not clydes and want more grip in certain terrain.
Yeah, I'm not sure where that 35 PSI number comes from, but I've gotten away with running much lower pressures.. often in the 25 psi range without issues. I only weigh about 160 tho.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.