Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a bigger pull behind trailer for my special needs daughter. We tried a Sunlite Trailer Tot but she is too tall for it. She is around 53" tall with a long torso, the problem with the Sunlite was that there wasnt enough headroom for her. If anyone knows of a trailer with more headroom we would appreciate it.
Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very cool.....thanks for the link...I dont understand what you meant by I DAGS for "bike trailer taller".
Again thanks for the link.......if anyone has more or better pics I would love to see them.

·
Registered
251 Posts
mcausey said:
Very cool.....thanks for the link...I dont understand what you meant by I DAGS for "bike trailer taller".
Again thanks for the link.......if anyone has more or better pics I would love to see them.
Hope it helped.

Sorry. DAGS = "Did a Google Search"

The firm themselves may have other pics.

Nick

·
Registered
444 Posts
You could get a bikes at work trailer and modify it to suit your needs. They are rated at about 400 pounds if I remeber correctly. They don't have a roof so height won't be an issue. Excuse me if this sounds crude, I'm just a dumb *******, but I'm thinking just bolt a seat and seatbelt from a car down to center of it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Not a bad idea.

There could be legal issues with that. I know that here in Western Australia there are pretty strict laws about the age of children that can be trailed, so there is one hurdle. I think there are also standards for trailers. So while it may be doable, it may take some fast talking.

I am not saying the BAW trailers are not safe. It's just that they may need special approval.

Nick

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really appreciate the info....the cycletote special needs trailer looks perfect except for the high price...may need to look into building something myself. Anyone with larger pics of a cycletote?

·
Registered
251 Posts
There are plenty of plans for cycle trailers around the Web. Most are based on lightweight steel frames, and are designed to be buildable without special skills, using standard fittings. Some require bending of thin-walled tubing, which requires a bit of technique or tools. You cannot use a _pipe_ bender for the tubing you will use; it just kinks. If that's a sticking point, you could probably get the tube bent by a shop.

Depends on your skills. It would be possible to TIG weld or braze up a nice frame in tubing, for instance.

Most of them are cargo trailers, but it would be simple enough to put a frame over the top for a canopy.

Try a search for bicycle trailer plans . You will find hundreds of hits. Many of them carry hundreds of pounds. A lot are completely unsuitable for your use, such as one that is basically and esky on wheels!

I was going to build, but had no special requirements, so in the end I bought a standard kiddy trailer.

As far as I am concerned, 20" "BMX" wheels are the best. They give good strength, keep gravity reasonably low, but provide reasonable rolling resistance, and are better on bumpy ground. 16" will do well also.

With the heavier (and precious) load that you are carrying, I would suggest setting up an override brake system, such as car trailers have. They use the pressure of the trailer on its hitch to apply brakes on the trailer wheels. I have not seen plans for such a thing, and have not yet got around to building my own. But if the trailer pulls itself up, it makes the bike a lot easier to brake.

Another rule that I agreed with was that the axle hitches are better than the seatpost ones, especially if you do not have trailer braking. The seatpost hitches can lift the back wheel of the bike and cause poor braking and instability.

here is a good source of different ideas. Go down the page a bit.

Nick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.