Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase a Santa Cruz Bronson. I'm 5'10 and 160bls. The size chart on the website for the M is 5'5 to 5'10 and the L 5'10 to 6'1. I'm on the top end of the size chart for an M and the bottom end for the L frame. What would be the next measurement I would look at to determine if I should get the M or L frame? And should I lean towards the M or L?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Id personally go with the medium.
If you are comfortable on your current bike just compare the geometry of it with the M and L bronson and get the one closet to it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm almost the same height and weight as you and prefer a smaller frame. I had a hardtail XC bike that was a large and I could ride it but never felt 100% on it. Now that I've gotten a medium GT i-drive 5 I feel at home again. Its going to be personal preference in the end but I've always felt I got a better fit on a size smaller than the size chart said I should ride.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
compare stack and reach.

i say large and run a shorter stem with a wider bar. braap! if you get the large you're instantly more centered on the bike for ggrrrippp! if you do longer rides and have some descending the large frame gets you stability w/wheelbase and reach with toptube.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am just about the same height and weight as you. I compared the Bronson to my old bike and ended up going with a large frame and a 50 mm stem. I love the fit. I'm really comfortable and the bike feels very stable. I frequently ride it at a park that has fairly fast bermed corners and the large feels perfect. The decision probably boils down to if you prefer a longer more stable bike or something shorter.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you look at the specs the difference between a large and medium isn't much. It's not like a shirt or something. We're talking about a centimeter difference on the frame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
392 Posts
I am 6 ft (1.83 m) and I recently bought a medium Reign SX after owning a large Fuel EX. Both are 26ers. Personally I feel much better in the trails in the medium Reign than I did in the large Fuel. It is difficult to explain it but i have much better control on the Reign. And I was running a 50mm stem 780mm bar in the Fuel. Maybe it also has to do with the fact that I prefer a more upright riding position.

Having said that if I was slightly taller I would have gone for the large Reign but as it is now I am really happy.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm exactly the same height as you and faced the same problem - 5'10 is exactly between models for many manufacturers. It was a different company but I also went with a Large and swapped for a shorter stem.

·
Salt Lake City, UT
1,422 Posts
I would without a doubt go with a Large. For me, it is easier to get a bigger bike to fit right as opposed to adjusting a smaller bike out to feel like it is bigger. I'm about your height (even a touch shorter) but have gone with a Large for my past three bikes and never gave it a second thought. With the Mediums that I had before, I had the seat way up and the overall settings were adjusted too far out, etc.

But as you can see from the other posts, some people are totally the opposite. Your call, ultimately.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am 6 ft (1.83 m) and I recently bought a medium Reign SX after owning a large Fuel EX. Both are 26ers. Personally I feel much better in the trails in the medium Reign than I did in the large Fuel. It is difficult to explain it but i have much better control on the Reign. And I was running a 50mm stem 780mm bar in the Fuel. Maybe it also has to do with the fact that I prefer a more upright riding position.

Having said that if I was slightly taller I would have gone for the large Reign but as it is now I am really happy.
Every manufacturer has different sizing, even between models,years, etc. He asked about the Santa Cruz Bronson which run small. Giant bikes are totally different.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
If you look at the specs the difference between a large and medium isn't much. It's not like a shirt or something. We're talking about a centimeter difference on the frame.

Where did you get that? The geometry chart on their website shows 1" (25.4mm) difference in both top tube and reach.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I want to thank everyone who posted a response to my Bronson M or L frame question. I am most-likely going with the Bronson Large Frame with a 50mm stem. The M frame with a 70mm stem felt good as well. However, the L with the 50mm stem felt just a little better.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Every manufacturer has different sizing, even between models,years, etc. He asked about the Santa Cruz Bronson which run small. Giant bikes are totally different.

I know (and thank you for reminding me) but this is a common question regardless of models and manufacturers. Considering that he is between two sizes and that he should try both before buy my reply is valid since I only demonstrate the benefits of a smaller size.

Anyway it seems that the OP already make his decision so let's wish him to enjoy the bike and have great rides!

·
Registered
943 Posts
depends on your trails. tight tech with lots of turns size down. wide open high speed size up. im 5'10" too and have delt with this on a handful of frames. what worked for me in CA was too cumbersome in Western NC

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
I am about to purchase a Santa Cruz Bronson. I'm 5'10 and 160bls. The size chart on the website for the M is 5'5 to 5'10 and the L 5'10 to 6'1. I'm on the top end of the size chart for an M and the bottom end for the L frame. What would be the next measurement I would look at to determine if I should get the M or L frame? And should I lean towards the M or L?

I have a SC Nomad....initially had a XL and then had a L. I can ride both sizes fine. I live and ride in tight twisty trails in the forest so the shorter wheelbase of the L is an advantage.

If I lived in the desert with wider more open terrain I'd probably ride the XL.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Pro Tip:

If you're in between sizes…go with the smaller size. Everyone always seems to want and get the larger sized frame when choosing. I don't know why that is so since mtn biking is about control at various speeds…having a bike that is 'smaller' allows for more body control…

GO FOR THE MEDIUM! If you still feel its too small after purchase you can off set that with a longer stem and layback seat post.

Not much you can do if you get a L…cockpit omponents don't make a large frame smaller but can make a smaller frame larger…

__edit
btw I'm also 5'10" but 165 …I ALWAYS get Medium frames…I like being able to throw my bike around and do a little body english on tight turns

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Pro Tip:

If you're in between sizes…go with the smaller size. Everyone always seems to want and get the larger sized frame when choosing. I don't know why that is so since mtn biking is about control at various speeds…having a bike that is 'smaller' allows for more body control…

GO FOR THE MEDIUM! If you still feel its too small after purchase you can off set that with a longer stem and layback seat post.

Not much you can do if you get a L…cockpit omponents don't make a large frame smaller but can make a smaller frame larger…

__edit
btw I'm also 5'10" but 165 …I ALWAYS get Medium frames…I like being able to throw my bike around and do a little body english on tight turns
AMEN to that!

Let's clear up some bogus info first...
The Bronson does NOT run small! In fact it runs longer than SC's bikes of past (this isn't hearsay, I've owned 4 other SC bikes).

I'm 5'9" with a long torso and short legs (30" inseam) so I probably fit very close to what you would. I got the medium Bronson and am VERY glad I didn't get the large! I run a 50mm stem with 750mm bars so it has nothing to do with that (if you're a stand-up rider using "modern" riding style). I put a lot of emphasis on airtime and body english and can't imagine going with a large as the bigger tires create a "gyroscopic" effect making the bike harder to throw around versus a 26'r. Now if you're more of a sit and spin XC racer kind of guy that avoids air then yeah, you might like a more stretched out cockpit of the large. But that's not really what that bike is designed for and you should think about a Tallboy if that's the case!

My 2 cents,

G Man

PS - The 45" wheelbase is pretty long for the medium Bronson. In comparison the BLT was 42.7" for the medium so I just have to laugh when I hear claims that the Bronson runs short!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts