Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of builing a Pugsley, and in my excitement to check out those monster tires, I just hurried up and threw the tube in and the tire on. Then it just dawned on me, I don't think I saw a rim strip on the LM. Crap. Do I need one with this rim, if so, who makes them? Or would I be better off doing something homebrew?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
cloth packing tape (the stuff with the cloth strands running through it) has always worked for me and it's what stan's used to recommend. I've used it on bicycle and motorcycle tires without any problems.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, thanks guys. I'll pick some up. I just hope I didn't ruin the tubes by having them in without a rimstrip. I haven't ridden the bike yet, but still...

·
hispanic mechanic
2,611 Posts
Unless you've put way more pressure (>1 bar/15 psi) than necessary in them, I doubt you damaged the tubes.
I'd definitely pull them, throw some packing tape, or even duct tape, over the spoke holes.
For my customers with LMs, I used everything from Velox (22mm width, 3 wide!!!) to different types of packing tape, to duct tape, and I think duct tape works just fine.

Los

1 - 7 of 7 Posts