Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who carry alot of stuff, what are you packing it in? I need a large(r) pack for night riding (lights, down coat, beer, food, etc). I'm looking at the Osprey Manta 30 (1600 cubic inches), anyone ride with one of these? Other thoughts? Thanks in advance.

·
the test dummy
3,487 Posts
i got a camle back the don and its big enough to fit my dog in it (20 something pound beagle) along with all my gear (knee pads and helmet) and 3 L's of water. there also like 50 bucks on jenson right now rather then the 120 the usually cost.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll check it out, thanks!

Took a look and $51 is hard to beat but the colors are a bit much for me. Black or grey all the way! I do appreciate the info though!

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No one rides with a large pack they like? C'mon, opinions are like @s$holes around here, everybodys got one!?

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I use a CamelBack Hawg for fall/winter riding. It's pretty good, tho I'd be interested in trying an Osprey or Dakine. For winter, I also use a post mounted rack and bag to carry the compressed down coat and other bulky items.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For winter, I also use a post mounted rack and bag to carry the compressed down coat and other bulky items.
I looked at the HAWG but thought the Osprey was nicer though pricey. I like the post mounted rack idea though! Perfect for that type of stuff. What brand you runnin'?

·
Registered
3,718 Posts

Delta Post Haste. They also have a model with a quick release. Topeak makes them too, and there are probably others if you look. I got mine on sale.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
No one rides with a large pack they like? C'mon, opinions are like @s$holes around here, everybodys got one!?
A friend of mine gave me one of these: DAKINE Heli Pro Dlx 20L Backpack -1200cu in Blue, One Size It's actually a snowboarding pack, but damn, it's huge and got lots of useful features. It does have a pocket for a bladder, but I've have to say I haven't used it on the trail with a bladder yet. I have, however, carried home a 12-pack in it, along with a pair of shoes and an assortment of misc. sheeyit.

Check it.

·
High Gravity Haze
418 Posts
I just picked up an Osprey Manta 20 today. I went to the shop with the intent of picking up a Raptor 18, but then saw the construction of the Manta and was totally sold. Its not as big as the 30(obviously), but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to fit the following:
iPhone
Wallet
Keys
Sunglasses
Compact tire pump
shock pump
an extra 29" tube
multi-tool
patch kit
3 cliff bars and 6 gels just in the waist belt pockets
My Lights and Motion Solo-Arc light & battery
My Nikon D300 w/ 50mm f1.8 lens
an Arcteryx Gamma SV jacket
full 100oz reservoir
and likely a good bit more.

My only issue with having a larger pack is that before I know it I have a 25 or 30 lb pack on my back because its so easy to say "Well maybe I'll need that also" to just about anything I see or think of before I get on the bike. I did that with a Camelbak Hawg many years ago. Really sucked the day I ran under a cedar tree branch with a sharp stem hanging down that ripped the pack apart while yanking me off the bike. The pack was full so I had stuff thrown everywhere and no way to secure it again.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I use a CB HAWG most of the time, but I also have a CB Outlite and a CB Transalp. The last two are plenty big enough for your purpose. Maybe buy second hand as big packs are one of the things people buy and then don't use.

·
Registered
8,672 Posts
I have had an Osprey manta 24 for over a year. I think its a great pack and a great bladder. It holds a lot of junk but doesn't feel that big on your back, and can be compressed down low if you travel light, in which case it really has about the same "footprint" on your back as the smaller raptor series.

·
Registered
760 Posts
The thing about a big pack is that if it is going to be good at carrying a lot of stuff, like beer, food, and other gear, it won't be good at being small. The frame necessary to carry weight comfortably will still be there when it is empty. This is just my opinion, but it is based on 40 years of back packing and, in recent years, bike packing. The good news is that modern packs are really good. I would focus on comfort and good construction, and then only buy as much pack as you actually need. My three cents.

·
Registered
422 Posts
For those of you who carry alot of stuff, what are you packing it in? I need a large(r) pack for night riding (lights, down coat, beer, food, etc). I'm looking at the Osprey Manta 30 (1600 cubic inches), anyone ride with one of these? Other thoughts? Thanks in advance.
I started with a Camelbak HAWG NV, which I thought I might use as dual-purpose pack for biking and hiking. It worked pretty well on the bike, but was (for me) a terrible hiking pack because it doesn't have any frame or suspension. I found that after about an hour hiking, my shoulders started to ache.

I next tried the Manta 30. Much, much better than the Camelbak IMHO. It has nice suspension system and I found it very comfortable both on the bike and for hiking. The Manta's come in 3 sizes: 20, 25 and 30 and I would definitely recommend the 30. The Manta includes a nice bladder that has a stiff, curved back and a plastic "handle" which makes it super easy to slide in and out of the pack and follows the curvature of the pack's frame. Very well made, with lots of adjustment including load-leveler straps at the shoulder. Cinches down very well if you're not carrying a full load. A couple of things to consider about this pack: even though it's a 30-liter pack, it isn't HUGE. The way the bladder compartment is designed seems to make the main compartment smaller than it should be. Also, the waist straps are 3/4" webbing and I like a wider web, but it seemed to function fine. Also, be aware of the sizing. They come in Small and Med/Large. I'm 6' tall and I thought a Large was what I needed, but I'm not sure about that now because.....

The Manta 30 had a manufacturing defect--one of the straps was sewn on to the pack body with a twist. I returned it to REI and started talking to the local pack expert. By this time I had decided that what I REALLY wanted was a bigger pack for hiking and something very minimal for biking. That led me to purchasing an Osprey Stratos 36, which I've now used for about a month and I really, really like it. It has a ton of room for day hiking . It's a little bit big for biking, especially on short rides, but if I could have only one pack it would be this one. If it's not full it cinches down well and it's very comfortable on the bike also. The Stratos doesn't come with a bladder, however, so you have to factor that into the pricing. I got a 3.0 liter Camelbak Antidote bladder and use it for the Osprey. The Antidote doesn't quite fit the pack as well as the Hydrapak, but I like the quick-connect feature on the antidote.

Miscellaneous thoughts: the Manta's bladder has a nice magnet on the reservoir hose that attaches to the chest strap. But you can buy clip-on magnets for other packs, which is what I did to mate up the Stratos and the Antidote.

For short bike rides I got the Camelbak Charge LR (lumbar reservoir) pack, which isn't in stores yet. It's extremely light and small, but has enough room for water and essentials and the lumbar reservoir keeps the water weight down low. I like it so far.

Let me know if you have any specific questions on the Manta. I whole-heartedly recommend either the Manta or the Stratos--both excellent packs.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
Check out the Camelback Octane series. I've got the smallest one, and the largest one. The largest zips up smaller/larger as needed, and can carry a **** ton of gear without feeling too overloaded.
CAMELBAK Octane 18X Hydration Pack - Eastern Mountain Sports
Mine is a couple years older than this version, but you get the idea. I think they have darker colors as well.

This is my medium pack, and it works great for anything other than super huge all day trips.
EMS Mantis Hydration Pack - Eastern Mountain Sports

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.