Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· All fat, all the time.
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 of the most stubborn moose I've ever encountered today! Perfectly happy just hanging out, eating leaves and such. Bush was too thick to go around, I tried.

Took me well over 30 minutes of talking/yelling/pleading/jumping/arm waving until they finally moved to where it was safe to pass.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

· Self Appointed Judge&Jury
84,235 Posts
Shark…Shark..Shark..Shark. I know you know this and I’m amazed I’m here saying this to one that lives in Moose country. I’m usually schooling tourists on this stuff in Colorado. Not the critter you want to wave at, trying to get them to move. You must know that moose are at the top of the attack list on humans in the states. They even go head on with freight trains given the right “unpredictable mood”. 🤣

Oh, amazing photos by the way.

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,092 Posts
Moose are not impressed by humans. Get too close and you’ll get stomped. There is no predator that will take a full grown moose, so they ain’t going to move on their own. I will go the other way, it’s not worth it to get stomped.

84,235 Posts
Eye-phone. Don't be silly :)

Here is no zoom no crop. = Safe distance.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Famous last words. ^

This just happened in my hood a couple of days ago.

And here I am 40' from this big elk today, the Rutt just started and he's already taken claim to 20 plus ladies. Was I too close? Yes.

· Registered
434 Posts
Just amazing. Here in NE Georgia, we get slithery and crawly, some lovely raptors, white tail deer are as common as ditchwater, occasional bear.

I would stain my pants if I came up on something as big as those or moose or an elk. There are a few elk in Northwest NC but I've never seen them.

84,235 Posts
These are incredible photos of majestic beasts.. Where were they taken?
Thanks, all in Colorado: I see Elk, Rams and Deer regularly and Bear, Moose and Bobcat on occasion, Antelope if I head north 45 minutes.

^Pronghorn Antelope

Mother and calf moose.

This guy itched himself with his antler. Amazing, Elk antlers grow an inch or more a day for four months until fully grown. How he knows where the end of it is amazed me.

A pissed of momma bear false charging me and stopping at the river bank.

A BIG boar [male] Black Bear snoozing.

A mother and three Cubs. These are the Cubs, the momma is off camera to the right. The following photo is of her dropping down the mountain and popping out in the tall grass on the other side, luckily stopping at the rivers edge giving me a warning to back off. Which I promptly did very slowly.

Young bull moose.

And the biggest Mule Deer I've ever seen. 16 points and his body is massive.

· Registered
14,400 Posts
A buddy and myself got pinned down by a big bull moose in Glacier National Park. A cliff face, maybe a 12-15 foot wide ledge (which the trail was on), then a huge ravine down into a river. The moose parked
himself off to the side of the trail sitting down chomping on the greenery around him. To make matters worse there was only 100 yards or so distance between a technical steep backdrop where we couldn't run and the moose.

We approached him several times, very slowly, making sing-songy voices. Each time his ears would go back, the hair on the back of his neck would stand up, and he'd stop chewing. We'd retreat and debate on what the hell to do. There was no turning around, we simply weren't prepared to spend the night up there. Finally after several approaches and debating on what to do we decided the best solution was to just book it past him as fast as we could run. And that's what we did, couple of intense moments there.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

· Registered
434 Posts
A buddy and myself got pinned down by a big bull moose in Glacier National Park. A cliff face, maybe a 12-15 foot wide ledge (which the trail was on), then a huge ravine down into a river. The moose parked
himself off to the side of the trail sitting down chomping on the greenery around him. To make matters worse there was only 100 yards or so distance between a technical steep backdrop where we couldn't run and the moose.

We approached him several times, very slowly, making sing-songy voices. Each time his ears would go back, the hair on the back of his neck would stand up, and he'd stop chewing. We'd retreat and debate on what the hell to do. There was no turning around, we simply weren't prepared to spend the night up there. Finally after several approaches and debating on what to do we decided the best solution was to just book it past him as fast as we could run. And that's what we did, couple of intense moments there.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Oh, yeah...well I got bitten by a spider a few weeks ago. It was early in the morning before anyone had ridden the trail and knocked down the spider webs. It was in the sensitive fleshy part of the inside of my elbow and only the most liberal application of cortisone cream could bring me any relief. And there was the time I had to swerve out of the way of a box turtle. :p

· All fat, all the time.
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

· Cycologist
16,945 Posts
“She was walking in good moose habitat without a light in the dark, so we suspect she walked right into the moose,” Area Wildlife Manager Jeromy Huntington said in a news release.

Ok, so how do they know it was a moose she walked into? Dig she have moose hair stuck to her?

I find it hard to believe it could be so dark she would walk right into a moose. She was probably staring at her phone.

84,235 Posts
That's awesome but now he's got a strap tangled around his antlers. Not could if he gets tangled up on something.

I'm my area last year a big bull elk got tangled up in some twine tvst some clipless person put up to keep the elk out of their yard. Really! Twine.

Anyway this elk ran around my local area for three months with this twine entanglement. Many people spotting him and getting photos and posting them up on the local Nextdoor site. Calls to Fish and Game became fruitless. They would not interfere saying it would put more stress on the animal by tranquilizing it.

I'll post a photo later of that bull.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.