Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading to Park City from Wisconsin next week, and thought I would find some good riding in WY on the way.

Laramie and Green River are right on the way and seem to have some trails. I was kind-of thinking of doing a full day on the bike next Thursday on the trails around Curt Cowdy State Park, Happy Jack and Vedauwoo, but which trails?

My tentative plan is then to drive to Green River, and do a shorter ride there on Friday. Any recommendations?

On the way back to WI the next week I was planning of traveling across the state from SW to NE, heading towards the Black Hills. It looks like there are trails around Lander WY, are they any good?

My plans are currently somewhat flexible, so if the Laramie area trails are worth 2 days, I could do that and skip one of the other spots, for example. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I was in Lander for the first time a few months ago. We camped at Sink's Canyon State Park. From camp, we crossed the river on the suspension bridge and rode sage draw and moose something or other, started the climb up Lower Brewers, turned down a connector loop back to camp. Short ride on one day, fun enough trails. I was more motivated to fish the Popo Agie that day, so kept the mileage short. The next day, we drove up the highway switchback and rode Upper Brewers as an out and back from the eastern trailhead. Also a fun trail. If we were there for more day, definitely would check out more and will be back again to do so. The trails I mentioned are named as such on mtb project, for reference.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Just east of the park & ride at the Happy Jack road exit from I-80 is a trailhead. The trails from there are fun, and a great way to shake out your legs after driving. Not a huge area but worth a stop. Curt Gowdy has good trails and more variety, and has a campground if you need that. There is also free dispersed camping in much of the forest in the area as well as a forest service campground on Happy Jack road with access to the Happy Jack trails. We frequently stop when driving through to camp and go for a ride.
P.S. what are your plans for Park City?

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,784 Posts
I'm heading to Park City from Wisconsin next week, and thought I would find some good riding in WY on the way.

Laramie and Green River are right on the way and seem to have some trails. I was kind-of thinking of doing a full day on the bike next Thursday on the trails around Curt Cowdy State Park, Happy Jack and Vedauwoo, but which trails?
At Curt Gowdy, consider riding out of the Aspen Grove Trailhead. Perhaps start with a warmup on the Stone Temple Circuit. Don't miss Mo Rocka, and if you're really into some sketchy stuff then do Crystal Ridge and Canyons loop. There's plenty of other stuff worth doing, including El Alto, Gold Watch and Middle Kingdom. You could spend a day there and be entertained.
At Happy Jack, the recently rebuilt Aspen, Middle Aspen, and Haunted Forest trails are fun, either up or down, but if you're linking them, take Haunted Forest down and Aspen up, then find your way to Middle Aspen down. My favorite loop at the Happy Jack system is Crow Creek (from the Summit trailhead). Other trails to ride include Double Black Diamond (some trail finding skill required) and Death Crotch (both best ridden downhill). The Blair Picnic Ground is a good place to start for access to Regolith, Skeleton, Cow, Devil's Slide and Valley Massif trails. They're a bit more classic Wyoming style trails than Happy Jack or Gowdy have, having originally been formed by cows, deer and elk.Again, having a GPS track on top of the trail map is useful at times in this area. Stay away from the Turtle Rock trail at Vedauwoo as it's short and heavy with foot traffic.
Laramie has a newly developing trail system on the east edge of town, referred to as the Schoolyard and Pilot Hill. In a couple of years there will be a nice system there, but now it's mostly easier stuff close to town and a route (Trail 10) to the top of Pilot Hill that's about half single track, half double track. But the single track is really good. You can connect from the School Yard trails up Pilot Hill to Happy Jack using the trails and Forest Service Roads. The round trip from town to Happy Jack, even without riding anything in Happy Jack, is 30 miles.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
P.S. what are your plans for Park City?
Not sure what we're doing in Park City. Fortunately I have a friend who's been there before, so I'm letting him make the decision. Options seem endless, 5 days there will not be enough.

Back to Wyoming, I'm more inclined to rustic forest service campgrounds over more developed state park campground, but a post-ride shower sure is now. Right now I'm thinking of doing a 'quick morning ride' on whatever are the best of the National Forest trails (Happy Jack or Vedauwoo areas?), then a long afternoon ride at Curt Gowdy, followed by sneaking into a shower and then back to my rustic Forest Service campground.

Green River looks pretty straight forward, and it looks like a unique/scenic riding area. I don't see any good camping in that area (other than KOA) so I may just push-on to NF campgrounds in the Wasatch Range.

I'm a little up in the air about Lander right now. Looking at the sheer volume of trails around Park City/Salt Lake, I may choose to stay there one more day and just make a long drive through to The Black Hills. There are endless options! just trying to make the best use of my limited time.

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,784 Posts
Ptor, what do you think about the Happy Jacked Loop on MTBProject? It looks like it would be pretty easy to add Middle Aspen or Crow Creek from that route.
That would be a good route -- certainly a worthy half-day ride. And adding in Crow Creek would be a great way to end the ride (go CCW around it). Next week, right? The aspen's should be in very good color by then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.