Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'll be there. This is my second Enduro.

My hope is to beat last year's time, and to ride more of the Headquarters trail (rather than walking it). But I'm not feeling very well-prepared this year. So my actual goal is to finish and enjoy the course. It was a lot of fun last year.

I'm also hoping it isn't blazing hot on race day.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm looking forward to it again this year. Hoping to come in under 7 which would be a small improvement over last year. Fsrftc, I noticed on your blog you're downing 500 calories an hour, what are you taking in? Between energy drink and gels/clif shots I'm about 350 an hour but always seem dog tired the last part of a race, if I eat more riding just isn't comfortable.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MtbRN said:
I'll be there. This is my second Enduro.

My hope is to beat last year's time, and to ride more of the Headquarters trail (rather than walking it). But I'm not feeling very well-prepared this year. So my actual goal is to finish and enjoy the course. It was a lot of fun last year.

I'm also hoping it isn't blazing hot on race day.
Temps look good so far (which is GREAT for me - YAY!)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dmccune said:
I'm looking forward to it again this year. Hoping to come in under 7 which would be a small improvement over last year. Fsrftc, I noticed on your blog you're downing 500 calories an hour, what are you taking in? Between energy drink and gels/clif shots I'm about 350 an hour but always seem dog tired the last part of a race, if I eat more riding just isn't comfortable.
I'm doing a modified version of my normal nutritional strategy. 1 - 2x caffeine gel, 1 scoop of accellerade, 1 ounce honey, and 2 normal gels is going to be my target for the race.

110 x 3 (gels) + 120 (accellerade) + 100 (honey) = 550 calories/hr

With the temps under 80 degrees I'll be taking in between 30-35 ounces of water an hour as well.

·
Registered
417 Posts
That honey accounts for the extra calories. Probably to late to try for this race, but that is good info to have.

Congrats on your strong season this year, from reading your blog the hard work is more than paying off.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dmccune said:
That honey accounts for the extra calories. Probably to late to try for this race, but that is good info to have.

Congrats on your strong season this year, from reading your blog the hard work is more than paying off.
Thanks a lot, and it is, I can't deny there has been sacrifices to obtain it tho. It is really hard to find balance (family/work/downtime)

Are you in/around FoCo?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm hoping to be under last years time- 6:48 or something like that. This will be my first year with gears (last 2 on the SS). Not in the shape I'd like to be in, and right now there is some question of weather. Looks like it could be cool and unsettled. That can be both good and bad, nothing wrong with cool and cloudy, but if it brings the wind with it, a couple of those long gentle gravel road climbs become demoralizing death marches. Mostly I hope to finish, and not get attacked by the Goshawk on Windy Windy.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wyosam said:
I'm hoping to be under last years time- 6:48 or something like that. This will be my first year with gears (last 2 on the SS). Not in the shape I'd like to be in, and right now there is some question of weather. Looks like it could be cool and unsettled. That can be both good and bad, nothing wrong with cool and cloudy, but if it brings the wind with it, a couple of those long gentle gravel road climbs become demoralizing death marches. Mostly I hope to finish, and not get attacked by the Goshawk on Windy Windy.
yeah the wyo wind can be BRUTAL. good luck!

·
Registered
94 Posts
dmccune said:

I agree, probably too late to give it a shot, but I've had zero issues with getting honey down. I put instant coffee in it to give me jolt and to cut some of the sweetness.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
noah19692000 said:
I agree, probably too late to give it a shot, but I've had zero issues with getting honey down. I put instant coffee in it to give me jolt and to cut some of the sweetness.
I've had ZERO issues adding honey in, I think i get quicker energy from it than gels and take it when I know I'm going to need a quick boost for a long climb or something similar

·
Registered
3 Posts
First 1 Singlespeeding

This will be my 5th enduro, but the first one on a single speed - looking forward to it (32/18 is a great match for this race).

Have ridden parts of the course over the last few weeks and it's really in good shape. Wet spots have new bridges, but I've heard they are mandatory to walk over and not ride - so be sure to listen to Rich the race director at the start of the race when he makes announcements.

Also there are some minor re-routes, but they are totally awesome! If you've done it before, just prior to Aid Station 2 there used to be two deep stream crossings - we'll bypass those in exchange for a super smooth and fast downhill singletrack section.

Then there's a spot after Aid Station 3 that is a bit sketchy 'cause it rides next to a barb-wire fence. Some has been rerouted and it's super cool.

Have fun everyone - see you Sat, temps look to be great. The post-race is killer: beer, food, and welcoming smiles from good people!

·
Terror of Sidewalls
301 Posts
I'll be there for the second time - raced it in 2008, but got sick and missed it last year. I'd like to beat my 08 time, but not sure if I'll be able to as the course was really fast that year. Rain the day before (to harden the sand and loose stuff) and no wind was really nice. I'm also hoping to avoid any rain, lightning, hail, crazy birds and the horrible bloating and stomach cramps I got from stupidly trying Perpetuem for the first time during a 70 mile race. Probably my last year racing it as the transition from "winter beer season shape" to "able to finish the Enduro shape" is fairly time consuming

ducati38 said:
Also there are some minor re-routes, but they are totally awesome! If you've done it before, just prior to Aid Station 2 there used to be two deep stream crossings - we'll bypass those in exchange for a super smooth and fast downhill singletrack section.
That section is pretty sweet. Has a sharp, loose left turn near the bottom though, so watch your speed a bit if you've never ridden it before. I ate it big time there on a race a couple weeks back. Had an outta-towner right on my tail and took it too hot worried he'd rear end me if I braked as hard as I normally do. Very painful.

I'd also recommend taking it easy heading into the trees on the campground bypass trail (around mile 2 at the beginning). The near pileup that occurred there as everyone slowed dramatically at the narrow boggy section in 08 fueled my fear of being taken out from behind. Well, that and what happened to Niner Brett that year...

·
Registered
245 Posts
lunarprobe said:
I'd also recommend taking it easy heading into the trees on the campground bypass trail (around mile 2 at the beginning). The near pileup that occurred there as everyone slowed dramatically at the narrow boggy section in 08 fueled my fear of being taken out from behind. Well, that and what happened to Niner Brett that year...
I heard a rumor we're going to go through the campground instead of that route, so much traffic that early that even with the new bridge, that spot is still too likely to cause a big pileup.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Course is getting a nice rain right now- I guess its a double edged sword. The wet areas will be a little wetter, but it sure does tighten up the loose stuff and make the majority of the course a lot faster.

Everyone will probably hear it many times- but please listen when they say that all the new bridges are mandatory walks. Many of them can be ridden easily, but 1) the forest service said it has to be that way, and 2) they aren't really built to take it. They are temporary, and we have to haul them out after the race. If the first couple hundred bikes ride them, there may not be much left for everyone else to cross. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
473 Posts
I saw the course post on the website, but am wondering if anyone has a current elevation profile? I saw the one linked from the LAramie site from 09, but every time I try to see just elevation profile, it has the other stuff on as well and hard to see.

Any advice for a first timer? By that I mean first time riding even in Wyoming.

·
Terror of Sidewalls
301 Posts
fsrftc said:
I've had ZERO issues adding honey in, I think i get quicker energy from it than gels and take it when I know I'm going to need a quick boost for a long climb or something similar
I used some of the honey stinger packets in training rides this summer and really liked them. No problems with my stomach at all and I like the taste of honey much better than gels. I experimented with the GU electrolyte drinks and chews last weekend on a 40-something mile ride and thought I was going to die. At about mile 30 I got horrible stomach cramps and my legs felt totally dead.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts