Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
being is
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Registered for the Laramie Enduro in the single speed class. Now I'm committed :eek: Any words of wisdom for a first timer? Looks like there could be a lot of spin-out sections following a creek along a forest road. Any parking recommendations? When should I arrive? I'd like to get up there the morning of the event (cause I'm semi local in Ft. C.)

Are the aid stations stocked w/ food and drink? What do you bring in your camelback?

Thanks and see you there!

P.S. Today's the last day for early registration.

·
No relation
192 Posts
pseudo intellectual said:
Registered for the Laramie Enduro in the single speed class. Now I'm committed :eek: Any words of wisdom for a first timer? Looks like there could be a lot of spin-out sections following a creek along a forest road. Any parking recommendations? When should I arrive? I'd like to get up there the morning of the event (cause I'm semi local in Ft. C.)

Are the aid stations stocked w/ food and drink? What do you bring in your camelback?

I had no idea it had come back to life. Cool.
I did it a couple of times, maybe 1999 and 2000, maybe not. I don't quite remember.
If you're going without a support crew type person, and the race course is still the same, the finish line is a little way away from the start line. So, you have the choice of parking at the finish and doing a warmup ride, or parking at the start and dragging your arse back to the start line. Parking at the finish line will be less crowded, as it's a little out of town. The start line, being downtown Laramie, is a little busier. Busy being relative to a sleepy college town on a Suday morning.
I was lucky enough to have my lovely wife drive to the various aid stations and hand me what I wanted, so I didn't pay much attention to the stuff on the tables. As far as I remember the aid stations were very well stocked. Water in bottles, energy drink in bottles, snacks, fruit, that kind of stuff.
There was a road stretch (right after the first aid station?) where I got into an echelon draft thing with some other riders, that might be a spinout section on a SS, other than that I don't recall any long flat pieces.
The start is down town, and the first few miles are on the road heading out of town. The first year I did it there was a pileup in the pack (a pack of MTBers on the road, sounds like a swarm of killer bees, and feels very sketchy) I was ahead of the pileup because I had a premonition (like most folks I'm sure). I heard the sound of bikes hitting the floor, wheels skidding, and flesh scraping. I'd try to stay up front if possible. It is a slight climb out of town as I recall.
It's a great course and one of my favourite events. If only I were in shape...
Edit - I just checked the site and it seems like the course has changed, so much of what I wrote is not too helpful.

·
Obviously Single
1,143 Posts
Some (old) info ...

pseudo intellectual said:

PI: Good luck! :)

Like Ichabod, I've done the LRE a couple of times, but I understand the course
is much different this year. This year they will be doing the whole race up in the
mountains. They used to start from Laramie, head up to the mountains, ride around
up there, then head back down. The final 10 miles or so was a cool windy (dirty,
twisty, cactusy) downhill that rocked. (I got a flat on it the first year, which sucked,
since there was no place to get off the trail w/o getting in the cactus!)

Because of land access problems, they moved the start/finish to up in the mountains.
I think that'll mean less over-all climbing, but more hard climbing. (Just a guess.)

I don't remember the aid stations very well. Guess I was in a stupor. One year a
friend and I did it unsupported, and the next year my Dad was our support crew. It
was kind of nice having a kind face at the aid stations.

I don't remember what kind of food/drink was at the aid stations, but I don't remember
it being inadequate, so I'm guessing you'll be fine. The only problem is that you
don't want to carry enough gear for the whole ride, so it's nice to have somebody
there that can hand you a rain jacket (or take one if you're through with it).

One more note: bring deet! Deep woods off is 100% deet, so I use it. And even
that wasn't enough one year -- the skeeters actually were biting through the
Lycra! I put deet on under my Lycra (let the deet dry before touching your Lycra),
and I was very happy (and laughing at those that were getting eaten alive -- it
is a race, after all.

·
being is
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haroow said:
I signed up intermediate sport class....time to suffer.... :D
Think I can do the race w/o a map or computer and not get lost? I've ridden in the area just once and it was 4 years ago. I'm doing the "race" on a rigid singlespeed and can't afford to ride any further than the 111kilometers!

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
As I remember, the course was very well marked.

Also, the aid statiosn were superb. Fruits, water, gu's at some, homemade cookies at others. At the last one someone took the camelback off my back and returned it full of water!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I am on the fence

If I can get a good training ride this w/e I may be in. My max MTB rides this year have been 40 miles. My 3 buddies who are good endurance athletes are in already. I did it 2 years in a row, a while back. It was very difficult & took me 8 hrs, then 7 hrs the next year. Trail was very cool. Supposedly it is a little easier tho longer than the old one as 2 tough climbs are gone. The trail was no problem to follow and the food was adequate. I ate ~ 10 GUs each race plus other food too. My buddy called me last night to urge me to sign up. He said this year his object is to "survive". Some truth, some sandbagging.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.