Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Terror of Sidewalls
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I and a few other folks are thinking about doing some longer rides on the Enduro course in preparation for the big day. Weather permitting, I'd like to do a ~40 mile ride on Sun, July 6 and a ~50 mile ride on Sunday, July 13th. My idea is:

July 6th. Start at Happy Jack parking area (enduro course mile 22.85) head east on the Pole Creek trail and soon reconnect with the enduro course (mile 27.3) and follow it until the Headquarters Trailhead Parking Area (mile 64.1). At that point, bypass the climb, head back to aid station 2, and backtrack from there to Happy Jack. Should be right at 40 miles total.

July 13th. Start at the Summit/W Headquarters trail head. Follow beginning of Enduro course to Upper UW, but bypass miles 2 through 26, take a left onto rollercoaster (mile 26.2) and continue on with the rest of the Enduro course (including evil climb at the end). Should be right around 50 miles total.

Post up or PM if you're interested in meeting up for either or both days or have any suggestions. I rode the section between aid stations 2 and 4 last Friday and managed all water crossings with dry feet, so it won't be as miserable as the preride a few weeks back. There was still some water/mud between stations 4 and 5 a week ago, but it shouldn't be too bad in another week. Unfortunately the cattle are back and continuing trail maintenence in their own messy way. In the case of lightning or 50 mph wind, these plans will change.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Maybe worth caching at least some water somewhere around/past midway. If the temps are like they have been 40 miles worth of h2o is a pretty good load to carry for a while.

·
Terror of Sidewalls
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wyosam said:
definitely in for this sunday, the other will depend on baby sitter:thumbsup:
Sounds good, I figured you would probably be up for some miles!

wyosam said:
Maybe worth caching at least some water somewhere around/past midway. If the temps are like they have been 40 miles worth of h2o is a pretty good load to carry for a while.
I was actually thinking the same thing. We should have a rider from Cheyenne with us, so if we stash some goods around Aid Station 4, I bet he could pickup any empty containers left there on his way back home.

see you at the race tomorrow

·
Terror of Sidewalls
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yikes, you need to remove the bike washing shenanigans from your prerace agenda. You rigid, steel, singlespeeders are making us squishy gearys look slow! Well done.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think I could make it up this Sunday

Next weekend (12th/13th) I have to do the roadie thing and ride the Triple Bypass.

What time were you thinking of starting?

·
Terror of Sidewalls
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also - an alternate, less brutal route for the 13th could be to start the enduro course at the Upper Tie City Parking area (mile 2.1) ride the course to the Happy Jack parking area (mile 22.85) head east on the Pole Creek trail and soon reconnect with the enduro course (mile 27.3) ride the course until Aid Station 4 (mile 52.4), then ride highway 210 a mile or so to connect with 707C (last seen at enduro mile 30.5) and backtrack back to the Tie City Parking Area via Hooch, old HJ highway and Pole Creek trails.

This should still be around 50 miles, cover almost only enduro trails, but with less elevation

·
Terror of Sidewalls
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
July 6 Update

Here's the plan: We'll meet at the Happy Jack main parking area (enduro course mile 22.85) and do the ride listed above. Be ready to ride at 8 am (hopefully early enough to miss any pm storms. We will have a van with a bunch of water and a cooler moving to Aid station 4 by the time we get there, so feel free to bring any food/beverage you want to stash in that, and it will be cold and waiting for you later on.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Sounds like a good plan- Right now I'm going to have to be a maybe. I'm pretty sore today, I'll have to see how I feel later on, and in the morning. I'm going to try to go though, I can always shortcut back at quite a few different places if I need to. I guess I bruised some ribs pretty good, too. Hadn't noticed them much until this morning- now breathing sort of sucks. Oh well, I can rest up after tomorrow. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
245 Posts
I ride 32-20 on a 29er, and think it works pretty well. Much of the course is fast, so If anything I would go taller than that, and plan on walking a bit more. For me, that's the right gear though I think.

·
Terror of Sidewalls
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1speed said:
That would be fun to do next Sunday the 13th. We may very well like to jump on with you guys. What gear is good for Singlespeed there?
Feel free to join up next Sunday if you're in the mood for a longer ride. Today's was great - perfect cool weather, no wind and (relatively) grippy trails from recent moisture. Props to Sam for riding 46 miles while pretty sore and mangled and to Dan for talking us into doing the Headquarters climb at the end. It really wasn't bad after all the chowing down we did along the way.

I think some variation of the second route I proposed for next Sunday would be best - Miles 54 - 64 of the Enduro course include more muddy bogs than I'm willing to deal with during the next 3 weeks.

·
Registered
245 Posts
And props to Jason on cleaning the Headquarters climb after that many miles, nicely done! I was thinking early on today that I would regret riding that much tomorrow- I was wrong, I already regret it! I'm hurtin. :thumbsup:

sam

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey lunar, I sent you a PM. We would be into riding with you on Sunday if its still on as planned. We would probably camp somewhere close by so an early start would be perfect.

thanks

·
Terror of Sidewalls
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like we are still on for tomorrow. Right now the plan is to meet at the parking area on the east side of the Lincoln monument rest area and be ready to roll at 8. We should be passing through the Happy Jack rec area around mile 22, so thats probably the easiest place to stash food/water if folks are so inclined. The forcast says warm with little wind.

·
Registered
222 Posts
We are not going to be able to make tomorrow after all. We may try to get up this week to check it out. Still trying to figure out what gear to run for the race on my ss 29er. I have heard everything from 32x17 to 32x20 from people.

·
2,822 Posts
Man 32x17 I think is a suggestion from a 26in wheeled rider I bet. Coming from someone who rides quite a bit of 29er SS down in Fort Collins, personally I would run a 19 or 20 t unless you don't mind walking towards the end. The biggest hills seem to be at the end.

Anything we should be prepared for lunarprobe? How are the water crossing levels? Mosquitos bad this year up there?

B

·
Terror of Sidewalls
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
2melow said:
Anything we should be prepared for lunarprobe? How are the water crossing levels? Mosquitos bad this year up there?

B
We rode through Aid Station 4 yesterday and the trail is overall in pretty good shape. All of the really wet spots had finally dried up for the most part (although the bogs between AS 4 and 5 will likely still be bad). We made it through all of the water crossings between AS2 and 4 with dry feet, but the mosquitos were pretty bad. I had Deet on, so they left me alone, but they could probably carry you away if you weren't wearing any.

There really isn't much gnarly singletrack (although the proximity to barbed wire can be a little unnerving while riding fast around mile 47) and I think the downhill 2-track sections north of highway 210 are about the most treacherous portions of the course just because they are really loose and you're flying on them - washing out on the corners is easy. People unfamiliar with the trails (roads) need to watch their speed on the blind, downhill corners in these areas - you could really go airborne with some of the huge gullys and mounds that sneak up on you. Theres a really nasty one on 712A around mile 21, I believe.

Overall, its in good shape, its been absolutely gorgeous up there with the wildflowers and rock formations, and I think people are going to have a great time!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.