Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Tribe Member
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have our "team" of riders and money has been sent in.

Damn this is going to be a long race. I have never ridden my mtb this far but doing 100 mile days on the road is not tough any longer.

Just trying to see who else is going up for this annual arse kicking?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I'm planning on it

It is quite difficult, at least for me. I've done it 3 times, last year was very hard but I did finish. Took forever tho. I hope to move along a little faster this year. The trails are amazing, it is quite the epic ride with a lot of singletrack, some parts are not even singletrack really, they look more like a game trail.

·
2,818 Posts
I'm in too. I know what you mean...a few of those sections it looked like 3 guys had weedwackers and they just bushwacked through the high plains to the next section of "cattle trail".

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,772 Posts
More singletrack this year...

I was told there was about 2.5 more miles of singletrack this year and about 5 miles less of the gravel roads -- so maybe a bit closer to an authentic 111 K.

And the "weedwacker" comment has more than a little truth to it...

Here's a photo taken on the course, about a mile from the last aid station.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
a little less mileage is fine with me

More singletrack, less overall mileage? Sounds good to me. Actually some parts of the trail looked like someone just rode his bike through very tall grass, matting it down, making a "trail" that way.

·
2,856 Posts
PeT said:
I was told there was about 2.5 more miles of singletrack this year and about 5 miles less of the gravel roads -- so maybe a bit closer to an authentic 111 K.

Here's a photo taken on the course, about a mile from the last aid station.
:thumbsup: More weedwhacked ST!! Awesome. Can't wait for this ride.

Ed E

·
Registered
611 Posts
PeT said:

PeT, do you think the course changes will cause the times to go up slightly even with the decrease in mileage?

This is definitely one of my favorite events and I am looking forward to it.

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,772 Posts
Dave in Driggs said:
PeT, do you think the course changes will cause the times to go up slightly even with the decrease in mileage?
I can't say with conviction -- heck, I'm not even 100 % positive about all the changes -- but from what I've ridden of the second half of the course, I'd say the times should stay about the same.

I'm excited to have cleaned that last rocky climb that's in the race last weekend, after about 30 miles or riding. But I'll be on a tandem again, so I'll definitely be pushing almost all of it come race day.

Here's another couple of pictures of the course, somewhere on Reynolds Hill, about 10 miles from the finish. The first one is of a local fast guy, who last year was riding at the front for the first 50 miles before bonking. He might be on a SS this year. The second is of me and my stoker, but a ride where we were on our singles...

Attachments

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,772 Posts
They were almost gone, but then we just had three days of rain. They're back a bit in town, but I expect they won't be a problem by race day. Even in the worst years (and this was one of those years), the bugs are usually thinned out substantially by the end of July.

One more photo of the trail along Reynolds hill (~60 miles into the course)...

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Should be a good one

I'm a Laramie local, and have ridden the majority of course other the past few weeks. This will be my first enduro, so hopefully it will be as fun as everyone says. I've got a living room if anyone needs a last minute place to crash before/after the race.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.