Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Laramie Enduro will be my first endurance race. Will some of you who've ridden it give some advice?

Here are some of the things that are keeping me up at night:
-gearing choices--I'll be going single-speed:eek:
-bottles only or hydration pack?
-carry my own food or take what they're offering at the aid stations?
-etc., etc., etc.

Thanks, y'all

Attachments

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,779 Posts
RJR said:
Here are some of the things that are keeping me up at night:
-gearing choices--I'll be going single-speed:eek:
-bottles only or hydration pack?
-carry my own food or take what they're offering at the aid stations?
I'll be on a SS this year for the first time, but I've ridden all the Enduros, including the original version, and am local to the area.

-- I'll be using a 34x20 on a 29er (about 49 gear inches). I'll walk some steep pitches, but most of the climbing is on more gentle grades where that gear will work well for me. Your mileage may vary -- gear preferences are notoriously individual.
-- The aid stations are frequent enough that even a single bottle could get you from one to the next. That being said, I'll have two full bottles leaving every aid station. The terrain allows use of bottles, but again it's a matter of personal preference.
-- The aid stations are well stocked. I always have a gel or two along in case I bonk between aid stations, but there is both a diversity and a lot of food available.
-- I always carry a rain jacket on long rides like these. When it rains in Wyoming it is always cold, no matter how hot it was before the rain moved in. There's always a chance for a thunderstorm in the area this time of year, so better safe than sorry...

Good luck and have fun!

·
2,822 Posts
This will be my 5th one (on a 29er geared) and as Pete mentioned the aid stations really are well stocked. Gels, bananas, watermelon, fig newtons, vanilla wafers, bagles, and bars. Every year I bring less and less, now I do it with just a multi tool, co2 extra tube and 2 bottles (20+ pound hydration pack not necessary to load you down). Every year the weather brings something new. Mosquitos were REALLY bad one year, 30 mph wind another, 95 degrees another. 95% of the course is exposed and above 8,000 feet so you want sunscreen. It's typically in the high 40's in the morning and 90 at 2-3 in the afternoon when most people finish. I've gotten by every year just with arm warmers, I put them on one year it rained (turns cold real fast up there) I bring my own energy mix in ziplocks. Hammer Products (Heed) seems to be the preferred aid station drink so I fill up with water instead and drop cytomax in pre mixed baggies. Also I have a 5 ounce gel flask, but not really needed if you stop at the aid stations. If I were doing SS I'd be on a 32x19 or 20 for that course. You'll have to walk the last two big hills probably and a few of the short steep ones. Really really fun course though.

Brett

·
Dud Rocket
42 Posts
Indeed

I would say the best advice is to make time on the fast sections, if I were still SS I would choose a fairly strong gear in order to do this.

Although its personal preference.

See you there.

Peter Haile

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.