Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
I will be racing, Cat 2 - 25 mile loop. Know the park very well.

Cat 3 loop - Overall its FAAST, most podium racers will average 11-12mph average. One tech climb 2 miles in about half mile long, its pretty much flat course. It has parts that's pretty boney (rocks and roots) but there's lines to blow through at speed. 2 recovery areas about half mile long. Really great race due to the environment, there's 500+ racers so its pretty exciting.

here's a POV video when I did the Cat 3 race (placed 2nd in my cat)

·
Just a flesh wound
2,373 Posts
The Landmine is a hoot. Great race and the Friends of Wompatuck do a great job. The Cat 3 ride, based on the map that they just published, is a good route with one big(ish) climb. It is rocky and rooty, but well marked.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
What would be better, hardtail or FS? I didnt see a ton of rocks and roots in the video. It looks mostly flat and flowy. Is a FS worth the extra weight?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
316 Posts
What would be better, hardtail or FS? I didnt see a ton of rocks and roots in the video. It looks mostly flat and flowy. Is a FS worth the extra weight?

are you doing the 12 mile or 25?
If just the 12, a hardtrail is all you need.
If the 25 a full suspension is recommended, it's very chunky for miles.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
are you doing the 12 mile or 25?
If just the 12, a hardtrail is all you need.
If the 25 a full suspension is recommended, it's very chunky for miles.
Im doing the 25. I could ride a 29x3 hardtail or my fs trail bike but thats closer to 30lb. Whats worse, being bounced around or carrying more weight?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Raced one year Cat3 but DNF'd due to a mechanical 3 miles in and have ridden the 25 mile loop numerous times. It is an unending nightmare of baby heads. I know guys who race it rigid but would personally not even look at the 25 mile race without full squish.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would go full suspension, there's not alot of hills. Once the course splits between the 12 and 25, it gets REAL! Non-stop rocks, roots for a good 12 miles. You back and body will thank you!

·
Registered
316 Posts
So how did you guys like the course? Pretty chunky in spots.
[Full disclosure: I did podium in my Cat 2 class] Was not a fan of the two new sections and reroutes. The course is no longer a 25 miler as everyone's GPS showed 26-28 miles. I think everyone rode for an extra 20-30 minutes due to the mileage.

Every racer I asked didn't have a positive response on the course as they were cramping/bonking too early to enjoy it. For the Pros I'm sure it was an awesome challenge but the other 200 riders, it was not fun. After doing this race many many years, first time I've heard similar feedback.

I know the organizers will hear the feedback and hopefully fix the course after feed zone 2. Kind of makes me want the 2011-2013 course now....

·
Registered
2020 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 GX/X01
49 Posts
It was my first time at the race and I only did the Cat 4 but that course was reasonably easy (took 2nd AG). Very well organized though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Just a flesh wound
2,373 Posts
Nice work OttaCee. I rode the 25 mile, Cat 2 50+. Came in 8'th. My GPS showed 25.96 miles. I actually felt really good for the whole ride. A bunch of my friends got destroyed. It was not an easy course, but I honestly liked the additions. Loop de No Flow and Full Monty backwards were a good addition. The lines through the jump line area were also fun. It showcased the good the bad and the ugly as they say. The last run from the top of Union to South Field was obviously tough on a lot of people. I saw quite a few folks walking or standing on the side of the trail when I came through. But as a Wompy enthusiast, I knew exactly what was coming so it was just a great day for a long ride. Anyone can do the easy ones, right?

I have always thought that a 30 mile course in Wompy would be cool. Freetown has that crazy 50 next weekend. If you ride nights, let me know. We have a couple of good group rides from the Cohasset side if you're interested.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Nice work OttaCee. I rode the 25 mile, Cat 2 50+. Came in 8'th. My GPS showed 25.96 miles. I actually felt really good for the whole ride. A bunch of my friends got destroyed. It was not an easy course, but I honestly liked the additions. Loop de No Flow and Full Monty backwards were a good addition. The lines through the jump line area were also fun. It showcased the good the bad and the ugly as they say. The last run from the top of Union to South Field was obviously tough on a lot of people. I saw quite a few folks walking or standing on the side of the trail when I came through. But as a Wompy enthusiast, I knew exactly what was coming so it was just a great day for a long ride. Anyone can do the easy ones, right?

I have always thought that a 30 mile course in Wompy would be cool. Freetown has that crazy 50 next weekend. If you ride nights, let me know. We have a couple of good group rides from the Cohasset side if you're interested.
Thanks Chris (we have ridden once before). Yes the Cat 3 (visitors side) is perfectly good, couple small tweaks near Pleasant St, the stuff through the playground is fun. I hope they can get the course to 25 miles by trimming Loop No Flow or Rogue Dead Guy or Root of All Evil in reverse. There's some talk in bringing back Mount Hope which would be awesome. With the race its 20 year anniversary next year, expect big changes.

Like prior years, did GoPro most of the race:

·
Registered
121 Posts
My second time racing here, only Cat 3 and i loved it. Getting quicker each year, maybe next year get near that podium! I love the event and just wish I lived closer to Wompy if I did I'd ride there regularly, love the trails here!

·
Just a flesh wound
2,373 Posts
Haymaker, glad you like this place so much! I ride here 3 or 4 times a week. 5 minutes from home, 10 by bike. It is underrated because it is vertically challenged, but it keeps coming at you with rocks and roots and punchy little climbs. I have been to lots of different places over the years, but I never get tired of Wompatuck. Kudor to Friends of Wompatuck for hosting an amazing race and maintaining/updating a great trail network.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.