Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ride what you want!!
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.velonews.com/tour2006/news/articles/10326.0.html

Floyd Landis's reputation as the toughest guy in the peloton took a quantum leap Monday when he announced that a degenerative bone condition is causing so much pain he will undergo hip replacement surgery "sooner than later."

Landis said he will be able finish the 2006 Tour de France, where he sits second overall, but added that the pain has become so excruciating that surgery could come as soon as this summer.
One tough SOB.

george

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
ibisGuy said:
No joke! Pretty amazing that he continues to ride, but it does make me wonder what will happen in the coming mountain stages.
Landis will win the Tour!

He'll follow in the mountains. He may lose some time here or there to the climbers but will climb with all the gc contenders. (That are left.) He will make it up in the stage 19 tt.

Consider also that he has the highest watt-chin/kg ratio of all time!

Go Floyd!

Morgan

·
Registered
175 Posts
...and has been allowed to use cortisone. I hate to be a cynic, but it sucks that the best riders America can muster have been allowed to take medications with "side effects" that benefit their cycling performance...

·
Ride what you want!!
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SPDu4ea said:
...and has been allowed to use cortisone. I hate to be a cynic, but it sucks that the best riders America can muster have been allowed to take medications with "side effects" that benefit their cycling performance...
I think when you bust out the x-rays of a bone on bone hip joint, you can kind of get away with the cortisone.

george

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
"Normally, it's like a smooth ball that rides in the socket," said Dr. Brent Kay, one of Landis's personal physicians. "This is like a cauliflower and it grinds down the cartilage. At this stage, it's pretty much worn out."

:eekster:

·
Registered
179 Posts
And he won the Tour of California and one of the spring classics this year on a ruined hip. Cortisone or not, he's still one tough SOB.

BTW, this is the same injury that ruined Bo Jacksons's career in sports. So root for Floyd, this may be his last professional race ever.....

·
Registered
45 Posts
mine has been replaced

Im 44 I had mine replaced when I was 42.It feels so much better now that the pain is gone.
When A person catch up to me on A climb I want toYell to them,dont get to excited you just passed a guy with a oem parts.Good luck to him.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
I've got a similar scar, broke my femur in half at the top where it makes a 90 degree bend (greater trochanter) when I was 21. Luckily it healed well, I had the metal taken out a year later and all's well that ends well. I won't bug you with my scars tho. (I've got lots.)

Anyway, GO FLOYD!

Boo yah. Today's stage 11 was excellent.

Morgan

·
pedal pusher
2,234 Posts
I wish I could climb like that with my bad hip. Next week I am getting a cortisone injection so maybe I will become super-climber.:D

Sean

Great ride by Floyd today.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.