Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a nice sunrise SoMo ride this morning I found out that something was wrong with my derailer because I could only use the outermost two gears on the back. Needless to say my legs were quite tired and I could have used those other gears. After the ride I take my bike to Landis Cyclery in South Tempe because I'm tired of trying to mess with it. Turns out there was just a little slack in the cable. I give my bike to the guy and he doesn't quote me a price so I figure its just something simply and (Free). Puts it up on the stand and fixes the cable slack in >10 seconds. Gears shift fine so he takes it down. I think I'm good to go and I'm wheeling my bike out when he tells me it's going to be 8 bucks. I have been in the store for less than a minute is their labor 100/hr? I complained and they informed me that its a flat price for a derailer adjustment which was hardly what was done. Totally peeved never going there again. Sorry just had to vent.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Come on dude. It’s eight bucks. You are in the wrong sport is eight bucks is going to strap you for cash and makes you pissed enough to need to vent on a forum about it.

Wouldn’t you say eight bucks is worth having the issue you were having fixed?

IMO, nobody should work for free. How’s the shop owner going to pay his employees, pay the bills at the shop and save for retirement working for free?

Not trying to rip you but get real. Capitalism will fail if everyone doesn’t make money.

·
Everyone Bleeds!
315 Posts
I agree with MonkeyButt

Get real Dude! You couldn't fix it yourself so you took it to someone that could. Maybe, rather than spend/waste time writing this post you could have spent the time figuring out how to make minor adjustments on your bike. Hmmm?:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
5 bucks maybe but not eight. I don't know for some reason it didn't seem worth it. I'm not normally a stickler for cash, but I just bought a new bike and I would rather spend 8 bucks on a couple tubes instead of some guy's 10 seconds of work.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have never had a shop charge me for one of those "10 second adjustments" or soemthing real simple even if I have never gone into the shop before. Regardless, as soon as the mechanic gets done I immediately ask "how much do I owe you" they always say "don't worry about it" I ask if he is sure and tell him that I would gladly pay....he says no payment needed..... and then I thank them for the nice customer service. He probably charged you because you assumed it was free and "started wheeling the bike out of the store" Obviously I was not there but that could be the reason.

see ya,
ross

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
Yes sorry if you couldn't figure that out on your own you should pay. Let me guess you ride without tools,patches and a tube .

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ride with a multi-tool, two pre slimed tubes, tire levers, pumps, patch kits, first aid, the whole works. I honestly have just never had this problem before and it was on a bike I am just getting familiar with

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
Thats alright you'll get it . I remember when my buddy paid a shop $22 for shiftercable and install. Cable=3.99 install was the rest ..

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Just don’t expect anyone to work for free. I’m assuming you don’t work for free for your employer whether you’re on the clock for 5 minutes or an hour. Correct? Everyone has bills and needs to turn a buck so you can’t expect to walk into a shop that doesn’t know you and receive a favor.

However, if you build a relationship with a shop you may be able to get some of these small fixes done for free in the future at the discretion of the shop depending on what you do for them. Building a relationship with a shop is a two way street. You need to do favors for them too, like send in people to buy bikes/parts, have their bikes worked on etc. This is a good scenario to be in because the shop values you as a customer and what you do for them, you value the shop as a business and the deals, favors they help you out with.

·
What, who, me?
215 Posts
it's obvious to me your paying for someone's knowledge.

you couldn't figure it out, so had to go to a more knowledgable source (the LBS.) so yes lesson learned. learn to work on your bike, you may need it if ever stuck out in the boonys and next time in your LBS ask them to show you what they did. you will learn and WILL use that knowledge some day.i would consider it a cheap quick lesson. cheers and keep the shiny side up :thumbsup:

mike

·
I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
874 Posts
I know I have had many things fixed by various shops around the valley that if I had the knowledge to fix at the ntime I would so when I can I go to Cactus when something breaks and the guys there are allways good enough to fix them while explaining to me what to do so the next time I can do it myself, so thats money well sopent in my book.

·
EDR
10,594 Posts
A service was provided and it was provided on the spot with no waiting. That in itself is pretty darn good, most shops make you leave the bike.

The problem that you were 'tired of messing with' was fixed by someone who posses the knowledge that you yourself did not have.

The way I see it...10 minutes of your time, problem fixed on the spot, and you maybe have gained a bit of bike knowledge all for 8 bucks? Sounds like a screaming deal to me.

I never expect anything at the lbs for free. Rage swapped crown races between two forks while I was there a while back, I asked what I owed him (Peter) and he said, "nothing", I pushed him and he said "OK, you owe me 1 dollar."

Bottom line is the lbs offers a service, if you willingly seek that service out, I think it's to be expected that it will carry a cost.

·
What, who, me?
215 Posts
get to know your LBS

most of them have really cool guys that are willing to help you out (show you how to work on basics) it also help to bring them in goodies. i bring RAGE Cycles SKA beer, but then again they are my teams LBS. over time you will gain immense knowledge, good friends and inside deals (maybe.) and if you don't at least you will learn to work on your bike.

mike

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
I just think back to my own experiences with "fixing" stuff and it all seems pretty reasonable. Like the 2 weeks I spent trying to fix my Landcruiser only to have the guy at the shop do it in 1 hr... Best $100 I ever spent.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
After buying my first mountain bike in over 13 years, the headset came loose after a few rides. No problem I thought. I whipped out my cone wrenches, took a look at the headset and went...WTF? Threadless what? Took it to the shop and, of course, it was just a matter of tightening up the stem cap. In any case, I insisted on paying the shop $10. I was a bit embarassed too. Paying made it seem better.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Did you buy the bike there ? If it's a new bike that you recently bought
from them then I agree he would be a douchebag to charge you.
On the other hand, if it's your first time ever in that shop, maybe not.
Eight bucks is a lot these days when you're nickled and dimed everytime
you turn around whether its gas or groceries.

I first started getting into mtb when I lived in Tempe. Rage seemed like the
best shop in the area back then, Landis always seemed like more of a roadie
place. FWIW, the shop I now go to here in Tucson wouldn't charge for a ten
second adjustment.

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
second that with praise for Rage. . . (except for the fact they forgot to put on all but one of my bolts for my chainring. . . finding out mid ride) they constantly and continually impress me with their customer service. . . and it's worth it. I'll throw em beer, baggie, money, anything.

Get to know the shop, let em know you care and your interested in it, and that you want to learn, usually they want to help you, and moreover teach you. If a shop spent all of it's time giving out free advice, they would be worth nothing. You've also got the happenstance that perhaps the employee was just doing as he was told and perhaps had a far superior manager peering over his/her shoulder. . .

Did you learn from the shop or merely pay em and leave? The best thing you can do is get to know your LBS. . . they like. . .love. . . return customers, they need em.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.