Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
humber river advocate
Joined
·
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
time to move on to better things... landing made, testing it out... smooth like butter.
this feature was made with about 5' elevation 30'-40' run-in. just goes to show you can
build fun trails anywhere.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,875 Posts
Is that ladder just resting on a log?

Is that another log stuck in the transition?

What kind of wood you using?
 

·
Evil Jr.
Joined
·
6,859 Posts
Is the ladder really as crooked as it looks or is it just an optical illusion? :skep:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,875 Posts
So it's just a rock stuck under the ramp?

Kinda like when you were a kid and made a jump in the driveway and just stuck whatever you found under the 2x8?

Hope it's not expected to last or see many riders.
 

·
humber river advocate
Joined
·
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
actually it is two 6" cedar logs buried about 3' into the ground cribed with about 20 rocks
and back filled... see that decking, about 4"s dia. built to withstand trashing by atv's and
dirt bikes... plus i plant ferns etc into the feature so as the wood rots the roots etc binds everything together and blends into the enviroment.

oh here's another structure i built out of dimensional lumber



though i prefer the natural cribbing method. i've seen/ridden some interesting building techniques out west and i'm also developing some other trails construction methods using non standard materials. actually they are being tested and a paper is being written on it. you really have no clue...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
640 Posts
Go Around?

Is there one?
Is the sight line good enough that someone will not happen to be flying through the air by mistake?
Is it a brand new trail? Or is this now something that other user groups will need to learn how to use?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,875 Posts
singlesprocket said:
you really have no clue...
The arrogance is strong in you.

How about you post some actual detailed pictures of if that original feature.

ps what of my work have you seen to judge if I have any clue? Should I go for a walk and snap photo's of my portfolio in order to ask questions of your work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,875 Posts
singlesprocket said:
oh here's another structure i built out of dimensional lumber

Really? Are you just baiting for a slagging response from me here? Flat ground, dimensional lumber and not needing to incorporate it into an existing trail nor natural terrain is nothing to brag about.
 

·
humber river advocate
Joined
·
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
shirk said:
Really? Are you just baiting for a slagging response from me here? Flat ground, dimensional lumber and not needing to incorporate it into an existing trail nor natural terrain is nothing to brag about.
ummm your the one baiting posts here and other threads i post... i see someone has to fill the recent vancancy :rolleyes: .

by the way i never said where that structure went, it was donated to conservation area...

here's a novel idea, start your own posts for a change

your also welcome to discuss trail building techniques over on dropmachine. a lot of very experienced
builders post there, both east and west coast. some of the builders are experenced loggers and have
great info. in fact it inspired me to get my commercial bucking and felling certificate...
 

·
humber river advocate
Joined
·
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
shirk said:
The arrogance is strong in you.

How about you post some actual detailed pictures of if that original feature.

ps what of my work have you seen to judge if I have any clue? Should I go for a walk and snap photo's of my portfolio in order to ask questions of your work?
your questions show true arrogance, not based in fact and meant to be purely disruptive. as well as being unaware of the building challenges in eastern canada. when the answer to your question does not go the way you want you resort to derogatory comments like above (someone else uses that term ;) ) it's clear what you are doing (just look at how you respond to all my posts)

by the way feel free to show your own work, start your own thread. i'm always interested in new/better building processes. though try to keep it on topic to eastern canada

oh and i'll be travelling around bc in a little while so just let me know where your trails are and we will ride them if in the area
 

·
humber river advocate
Joined
·
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
want to ride said:
Can you tell the location?

Would be nice to test ride and visualize in real life...
the feature can be found in the fanshawe conservation area near london ontario. the trail it will be on is called the fanshawe lake trail and is managed by the upper thames river conservation authority.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,875 Posts
singlesprocket said:
your also welcome to discuss trail building techniques over on dropmachine. a lot of very experienced
builders post there, both east and west coast. some of the builders are experenced loggers and have
great info. in fact it inspired me to get my commercial bucking and felling certificate...
Why would I discuss trail building on dropmachine in relation to a post you've made here?

If you had posted this as "just out riding in the summer heat" I likely would not have asked any questions related to the feature.

But as you've posted about building a landing I looked at the picture and wanted to know more about the feature. If this feature was built on one of our local legal trails, from what I can see in the picture, we would likely remove it. It simply does not look well build.

Maybe I'd change my opinion if more detailed pictures where provided.

Good for you getting your saw license. They are dangerous for anyone not properly trained in how to operate them.

singlesprocket said:
as well as being unaware of the building challenges in eastern canada.

oh and i'll be travelling around bc in a little while so just let me know where your trails are and we will ride them if in the area
If you'd like to see anything I've had a hand in working on back east please go ride Dufferin Forest, while on your trip out west hit up Seymour, Fromme or the Sunshine Coast, I've put in lots of sweat equity in all three locations both on the mountain and behind the scenes.
 

·
humber river advocate
Joined
·
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"actually it is two 6" cedar logs buried about 3' into the ground cribbed with about 20 rocks
and back filled... see that decking, about 4"s dia. built to withstand trashing by atv's and
dirt bikes... plus i plant ferns etc into the feature so as the wood rots the roots etc binds everything together and blends into the environment"

I guess you missed the building description above. The method is sound, does not matter if the carpenter ants/rot gets into it. the only mainteance it needs is some back filling of dirt.

some examples
https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/fspubs/01232833/found01.htm#crib
one from your neck of the woods
https://nsmba.ca/content/2009-04_griffen-trail-day-april-26-2009

the method is the same, yet you build a ramp/landing

If you want to tear it out feel free if it satisfies your ego (you might get a blister or two). My structures have been proven to withstand the test of time and spring ice break-up floods that moves huge chunks of ice all over (see pic)


Though vandalism and fire is a new challenge. That's why I also build out of steel (see pic) and other materials. i'm also working on a concrete system concept


My suggestion about posting on dm is a practical one as there are more people familiar with the areas you talk about (which is quite large), building methods, would know of your work and behind the scenes activities.

It is interesting you talk about dufferin forest. I've ridden there once and would like to learn more about the trails. Which area are you talking about?

shirk said:
Why would I discuss trail building on dropmachine in relation to a post you've made here? If you had posted this as "just out riding in the summer heat" I likely would not have asked any questions related to the feature.
But as you've posted about building a landing I looked at the picture and wanted to know more about the feature. If this feature was built on one of our local legal trails, from what I can see in the picture, we would likely remove it. It simply does not look well build.
Maybe I'd change my opinion if more detailed pictures where provided.
Good for you getting your saw license. They are dangerous for anyone not properly trained in how to operate them.

If you'd like to see anything I've had a hand in working on back east please go ride Dufferin Forest, while on your trip out west hit up Seymour, Fromme or the Sunshine Coast, I've put in lots of sweat equity in all three locations both on the mountain and behind the scenes.
by the way have you ever heard of the term... "don't judge a book by its cover?"
 

·
Misfit Psycles
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
singlesprocket said:
excellent link sprocket.
nsmba has been a positive impact on not only trails and trail maintenance but advocacy in the area.

you should read beyond the pictures if you haven't.
they (like most mtb organizations) practice a lot of what you preach, just with more actual 'doing'.
The first task of the NSMBA then became containment of the portrayal of mountain bikers as air-headed "dudes and dudettes" as one editorial so unkindly characterized riders. In an effort to respond to issues that all seemed to come to a head at the same time, trail advocates were busy during that long hot summer.
while glamorous and (undoubtedly) the most fun, trail building isn't the first step...cannot be the first step...
Relationships with the landowners, including the District of North Vancouver (DNV), Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve (LSCR), and BC Parks, were established. Trail maintenance days were initiated to show the non-riding public that we were a user group that cared about the trails.
relationships, not unlike sound structures, ensure the longevity of any given trail feature as well as the overall system...
 

·
humber river advocate
Joined
·
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
nogearshere said:
practice a lot of what you preach, just with more actual 'doing'.
I guess you missed the posts about working with the bta, hvhta, cot, other conservation authorities as well as private landowners. There's more, some pretty interesting stuff also but that's confidential. It is amazing what they did out west and the level of acceptance they have, but that is out west. On-terrible is a different kettle of fish.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top