Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Shot Down in Flames...
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warning, teaser:

Shark Blue El Ciclón.

A nod to Dazed for the inspiration. Thanks to Teresa & Sherwood for the hook-up on the trade-in.

Build pics to follow.

D.

·
Shot Down in Flames...
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. The colour is damn close to my old Psycle Werks. It also got the original headset and seat post from the PW. A tip of the hat to the past.

I traded the front triangle of the Fuego. My wife decided that MTB wasn't for her. I put the Fuego rear on the Salty and converted it to 4". The 5" rear from the Salty went to the Ciclón.

Weight as pictured is 8.37 lbs. 19" frame with 18" ST.

No custom decals for now.

D.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
D-Rock said:
Thanks all. The colour is damn close to my old Psycle Werks. It also got the original headset and seat post from the PW. A tip of the hat to the past.

I traded the front triangle of the Fuego. My wife decided that MTB wasn't for her. I put the Fuego rear on the Salty and converted it to 4". The 5" rear from the Salty went to the Ciclón.

Weight as pictured is 8.37 lbs. 19" frame with 18" ST.

No custom decals for now.

D.
wow...cool..you almost have the full FS 26" lineup now :D

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Awesome swap out. I knew you were upto something!
The Shark Blue Matches my new truck. I ALMOST, ALMOST picked that for my Salt.
Congrats!

-A

·
Shot Down in Flames...
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Beer:30

Not going well.

I had to drill out two chainring bolts and dremmel off a rotor bolt so far. :madman:

Swapping stuff around with one stand sucks!

That is all,
D.

·
Shot Down in Flames...
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lots of blood and aggravation results in this. The colour in the pics is a close to the real thing as I have ever got with a camera.

32.04 lbs.

D.

·
Shot Down in Flames...
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is the build list:

Frame: '08 19" El Ciclón with 18" ST
Color: Shark Blue
Options: Quad bearings
Shock: Cane Creek Double Barrel
Fork: Rock Shox PIKE 454 Air U-Turn
Wheelset: Chris King ISO Black 32 Hole, 20mm front/Mavic 819/DT Swiss Competition 14/15 DB spokes
Seatpost Clamp: Chromag
Front Der: XT M761
Rear Der: SRAM X.9 Med. cage
Shifters: SRAM Shorty Twist: X.O
Chain: SRAM PC-991
Cassette: Shimano M760 11-34
Brakes: Formula Oro K-24 180mm Rotors
Cranks/BB: Race Face Deus Black 175mm, Diabolus DH BB
Chain Rings Blackspire SuperPro, RF bash ring, Heim guide with Blackspire roller
Pedals: Shimano 540
Headset: Chris King NoThread Black
Handlebar: FSA K-Force DH Carbon 31.8
Seat Post: 27.2 Thomson Elite 330mm Black
Stem: 90x0º Thomson X-4 Black
Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Gel Black
Grips: ODI Lock-on Rogue Gripshift Length
Front Tire: Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.35 UST
Rear Tire: Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.35 UST

Weight: 32.04 lbs. using an Ultimate Alpine digital scale

D.

·
Shot Down in Flames...
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LoneStar & I met up with cruzthepug and a group from SORBA Huntsville at Bull Mountain yesterday for the shakedown ride. I had a rough day on the bike. Right from the start I pegged my heart rate and paid the price the rest of the day. 18 miles that felt like 100. I survived. Nevermind I busted my ass 3 times.

Today LoneStar, RedRocker and I hit Chicopee Woods. We got in 10 miles before the thunderstorms moved in.

Coming from the 5" Salty, the Ciclón was familiar, yet different. Bull Mtn. starts off with a 4 mile sorta technical climb. The 90mm is the shortest stem I have ever run. It definitely took some adjustment climbing. The Bare Hare descent is a blast. Tight, fast & choppy. It was here that I first got a whiff of what the Ciclón is all about. An absolute blast.

Chicopee is a much more groomed trail, but has its own challenges. It is also tight and fast, not as choppy.

Overall my impressions are that the Ciclón handles the speed a little better than the 5" Salt. Especially in the corners. The Salty feels a little more "flickable", but the Ciclón is a little more stable.

A few pics from the shakedown:

LS & some of cruzthepug's group plan the route.

After the Bare Hare descent.

LS points out the bail out option.

As Steve Forbert would say: "Georgia red sand"

Beer and enchiladas await.

D.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.