Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
When Lance became a movement, road biking became accessible to the uninitiated hordes. Great for road bike sales, but kinda took the buzz out of mtbing when it was already deflating. Now that the masses are eating up the road life, I wonder how long before mtbing picks up the first few waves of converts from this new crop of riders like it did 88-91, when road biking was really popular, and suddenly found itself less appealing to a great many of us. Lance and road biking could give mtbing its second wind here. Remains to be seen, but it could be quite good. More people on trails, sure, but in the bigger picture, more money in the sport helps everything from moving equipment innovations along to legitimacy in the face of the semi-elected, slugbrained rulers that decide whether we're an actual sport worthy of trail use, or just another nuisance standing in the sierra clubs way...

G

·
Lance is/was a great bike racer. To win six Tours is unbelieveable. There is going to be a void of top US road racers for a few years.
He's raced a couple mountain bike races already. Bet you see him line up at MTB races in Texas. He won't be able to quit bike racing cold turkey.
The most important thing about Armstrong is what he means to cancer patients and survivors.My Mom is a cancer survivor. She barely knows what the Tour de France is(Lance Armstrong rides in it), but she's read Lance's book and knows all about his battle with cancer. For those of us lucky enough to never have cancer, we will never understand what that really means; to be a cancer survivor. Lance Armstrong is a hero and source of hope for these people. That is the true legacy of Lance Armstrong.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I think we shall see Lance resign from the hectic schedule that a professional rider must take on in order to be succesful at his level. Just look at all the time lance spends in preparation for the tour. he has expressed a desire to spend more time with his family. I think we will see him involved in cycling just not on a professional level.

·
sh*t disturber
348 Posts
fireball said:
Lance will be retiring one day after the Tour deFrance.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2005/apr05/apr19news

Gonna be weird without Lance, but I can understand.
I figured that was going to happen. He's had quite the run. Now he'll be a Sheryl Crow groupie for a while until she dumps him or he finds some other famous chick to hang around with.

This is going to be one great TDF this year nonetheless. There will be plenty of folks trying to unseat him one last time. It ain't gonna be easy.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Debaser said:
And in other roadie news... Tyler's out for 2 years.

Agreed on hoping Lance goes out on top.
Well it's best to go out on top, good for Lance.

As for Tyler - this'll happen when you go borrowing other peoples blood, he's lucky they screwed up his post-olympics test and therfor didn't take his medal away.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I agree with the above posts, his name will stay huge in cycling through branding etc ... maybe Trek will start Lance-Works, like Specialized S-Works ....

As it turns out I think I will be in the Pynesse for all of July .... so might get to pop into France to see a stage or two ... something to tell the grand kids about one day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.