Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay he's not running for president, but the article is a good read anyway. I'd vote for him! How about a couple billion for some new trails!

http://briefingroom.thehill.com/2009/01/05/lance-armstrong-hints-at-run-for-political-office/
January 5, 2009
Lance Armstrong Hints at Run for Political Office
@ 10:25 am by Michael O'Brien

Cyclist Lance Armstrong said he may have a future in politics, coyly hinting that a desire to serve may lead him to seek public office after the conclusion of his athletic career.

"If you feel like you can do the job better than people who are doing it now, and you can really make a difference, then that's a real calling to serve, and I think you have to do that," Armstrong said in an interview with The Daily Beast. "So, there will come a time, or not, that I say to myself, 'You know what, I can help affect change.' And if that day comes, then absolutely."

Armstrong is making his second comeback bid to win the Tour de France, but has been politically involved over the years, having cycled with President George W. Bush, and previously indicating he may be interested in running for governor of Texas.

"I felt a strong desire to come back and race right now because I felt we had a place and I could have a real impact and that's why I'm doing it," Armstrong added. "I don't think you want to enter political life unless you really think you can really have an impact."

·
plasma donor
754 Posts
At this point, Don Knotts seems like an improvement, so hell, why not Lance? Even after his bout with cancer, he has more testicular fortitude than any 10 politicians you care to name. Seems to have a level head too. Which could come in handy.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Forget Lance. Here in Oregon we have a kickass congressman, Peter DeFazio, who used to be a bike mechanic. He is sometimes referred to as Mr. Bicycle and was on the short list to be Obama's pick for secretary of transportation. If he was more attractive...he'd be a shoe in for the presidency. I've yet to talk to a liberal or conservative who doesn't like his policies.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I wouldn't vote for him. He's running because he feels he can do a better job? Yeah, him and the 300 million other people in this country. If he runs he'll be banking on his fame garnered from cycling, and will probably cite his work with cancer activism as experience for office.

The fact that he's supposedly gunning for governor is evidence enough of his inexperience. That's like me deciding I want to be a pilot, and hopping in the chair of a 747.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Barkleyfan said:
On the same note, what "qualifications" did George Washington have? I think someone who's political ambitions are NOT preceded by a run as an attorney or oil baron would be refreshing.
George Washington was a sav. That's all the qualification you need.

I agree that it would be refreshing to have someone who isn't an attorney or w/e, but a cyclist? I would think we can do better than that. All the man has ever been seriously is an athlete. There are plenty of doctors, professors, teachers, community leaders, people who not only have good ideas on how to run things better, but have the experience and brains to back it up.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
"I agree that it would be refreshing to have someone who isn't an attorney or w/e, but a cyclist?"

What does that mean? "A cyclist"? Is it the fact that he rides a bike which precludes him, or that he did it for a living (although I doubt that money was his motivation)?

You make too many assumptions about people's intelligence and social aptitude based upon their employment and their academic ability. I don't doubt the value of education, but it is not the only path to knowledge, nor is it necessarily an indicator of intelligence.

·
NEPMCPMBA President
928 Posts
Barkleyfan said:
On the same note, what "qualifications" did George Washington have?
Well, he was a general in the revolutionary army, which just so happened to beat the most powerful military force in the world at the time.... I think that's pretty impressive.

As for Lance... I remember after he won his last TdF, somebody asked him who his personal "heros" were.

He said Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, and some other Nike sponsored athlete. No mention of his parents. No mention of the doctors and scientists that saved his life when he had cancer. His personal heros were other millionaires that were PAID by the same company he was. I'll never call somebody a sellout for simply making money, but to claim those guys are your heros just because they get paid by the same company you do is assinine.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually in a interview he said his mom was his greatest hero. You should read "It's Not About the Bike" even if you don't like him its a amazing book. He talks a lot about how strong his mom is.

RoyDean said:
Well, he was a general in the revolutionary army, which just so happened to beat the most powerful military force in the world at the time.... I think that's pretty impressive.

As for Lance... I remember after he won his last TdF, somebody asked him who his personal "heros" were.

He said Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, and some other Nike sponsored athlete. No mention of his parents. No mention of the doctors and scientists that saved his life when he had cancer. His personal heros were other millionaires that were PAID by the same company he was. I'll never call somebody a sellout for simply making money, but to claim those guys are your heros just because they get paid by the same company you do is assinine.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
I actually like Lance Armstrong a good bit, but I like more consistency in my politicians. I'm a little concerned about his dealings with women, and his retirement on/retirement off episode gives me pause as to what he wants to do when he grows up.

Hey...it's a free country, and he can do what he wants...but when you get into politics your past/present have to mesh with many other people's value systems. Some of his don't mesh with mine. That said, if he ran and the other person was a big bozo...well...I tend to go with the lesser of two evils. There's some unfortunate truth in a couple of the comments already made...the mass quantity of knuckleheads running for public office in recent years don't provide much confindence. And why are U.S. citizens so prone to falling for the cult of personality?

·
plasma donor
754 Posts
RoyDean said:

Tiger and Michael were both dedicated competitors who brought a new level of expertise to their respective sports. I don't really care what his inspiration was, nobody pushes as hard as Lnce did for the money. He already had the money. He already had the champonships.He did it because he loved doing it. If he persues a political career, I expect much the same.

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
Random Drivel said:
He'd make a great Republican candidate tho, even though he lacks political experience.
Experience means nothing in the GOP. Can you win is what matters. They lambasted Obama as a "celebrity" candidate. This from the party that endorsed such non-celebrity candidates as Ronald Raygun (B rate actor), Ahnuld Schwatzenegger (C rate actor), and Sonny Bozo (married to a celeb and less than average skier, apparently).

No, I wouldn't vote for Lance. He's a great cyclist. That doesn't translate to anything else.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Tweezak said:
Forget Lance. Here in Oregon we have a kickass congressman, Peter DeFazio, who used to be a bike mechanic. He is sometimes referred to as Mr. Bicycle and was on the short list to be Obama's pick for secretary of transportation. If he was more attractive...he'd be a shoe in for the presidency. I've yet to talk to a liberal or conservative who doesn't like his policies.
I met the guy! I was in one of his political tv ads in middle school, something about education. I got $75 to stand there and nod and look smart, then afterward he actually talked with us (there were 5 or 6 others) about the political process and how it works. Seemed like a really nice guy.

·
Registered
647 Posts
SteveUK said:
"I agree that it would be refreshing to have someone who isn't an attorney or w/e, but a cyclist?"

What does that mean? "A cyclist"? Is it the fact that he rides a bike which precludes him, or that he did it for a living (although I doubt that money was his motivation)?

You make too many assumptions about people's intelligence and social aptitude based upon their employment and their academic ability. I don't doubt the value of education, but it is not the only path to knowledge, nor is it necessarily an indicator of intelligence.
So we should just assume that anyone who wants to run for office is qualified? What do you look at to decide if they are qualified if you cant look at their employment and academic ability? It may seem wrong to you, but it seems entirely right to me to make an assumption about a person's intelligence and social aptitude based on their employment and academic ability. What else are you going to look at? Do you just see a familiar face and decide to vote for him because of a common intrest?

Sure, it's important to hear the person speak and hear them out on their ideas, but when it comes down to it, the only thing Lance has experience leading is the pack in the TDF. Does he have any ground in reality to think his ideas of how to run things better would work? It seems arrogant to me that Lance thinks he can step in at the governors level, because the only reason he would win is because of his fame garnered in the cycling world - almost entirely unrelated politics.

But w/e, it's Texas, the state who has had GWB as governor, can't really do much worse than that. As long as lance is against executing mentally disabled prisoners, it's a step in the right direction.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
"So we should just assume that anyone who wants to run for office is qualified?"

Is that what I said? Or are you just demonstrating the limited scope of your own alternatives?

The problem with discussing any subject with somebody who relies so heavily on assumption - I'm referring to you, of course - is that that person also assumes that everyone else suffers the same reliance. I assure you that I do not. You haven't understood that I'm not supporting Lance Armstrong; I'm just questioning your own logic. Again, I ask you:

I have worked with many, many people in academics who I wouldn't trust to walk my dog, let alone impose foreign policy. In truth, you actually have very little knowledge of what Lance Armstrong is like as a person. However, his single-mindedness, determination and self-belief could actually predispose him perfectly to despotism, who knows?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
i would campaign against him for sure. experience/education DOES matter. rather have someone who has spent 8 hours a day thinking about this stuff than a total beginner. come on. lance would be no more qualified than the average JOE.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.