Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know anything about this company, or the business model. They claim to have the lightest weight AND cheapest carbon fat bike coming. $1800 for frame and fork doesn't seem like that great a deal to me. I read all the threads about Asian carbon ripoffs, and whatnot, but at least these guys are claiming to have developed this bike themselves. All I've seen is this link, which I found while an employee/owner was spamming the comments of Gear Junkie.

lamere

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
Kind of a cool looking frame although he could have gone a little shorter on the stays for being a 170mm frame.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You have walked around Interbike or seen footage of the Taiwan bike shows right? There are a multitude of eastern bicycle manufacturing companies that have libraries of bikes for you to rebrand, market, and distribute under "you bike company name here". Looking at their offerings, this is classic low cost flipping and remarketing of someone else's product. Good on them if they can build a brand, god knows several other "legit" bike companies do the same thing. Nothing wrong with it mind you.

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
Looking at their offerings, this is classic low cost flipping and remarketing of someone else's product.

So do you mean this frame is copied from another company who sourced frames though this manufacture and then re branded and if so who's frame design did they copy/steal?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Their website is pretty clear they get these frames from Asia, so they're not really trying to hide anything:

lamere

Though when they say customize a full bike, I don't think they mean custom geometry.

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
Their website is pretty clear they get these frames from Asia, so they're not really trying to hide anything:

lamere

Though when they say customize a full bike, I don't think they mean custom geometry.
No I think they are being a straight up company and I don't see this frame design as being copied from anyone else.

·
Big Gulps, Alright!
3,223 Posts
You have walked around Interbike or seen footage of the Taiwan bike shows right? There are a multitude of eastern bicycle manufacturing companies that have libraries of bikes for you to rebrand, market, and distribute under "you bike company name here". Looking at their offerings, this is classic low cost flipping and remarketing of someone else's product. Good on them if they can build a brand, god knows several other "legit" bike companies do the same thing. Nothing wrong with it mind you.
Exactly. All catalog stuff, nothing new here.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Personally, I think the guy is a little shady.

This is what he had on Facebook a few months back. Clearly a Borealis.
If you read his comment you can see he says that it is the bike he has had designed.

Don't get me wrong, he has every right to have a Fat bike frame made, and really he has the benefit of making improvements off of the Borealis since he is coming at it second, although he totally missed the mark--probably because he has no experience with Fat bikes, but if he lies about this, then..who knows.

Attachments

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts

This is what he had on Facebook a few months back. Clearly a Borealis.
If you read his comment you can see he says that it is the bike he has had designed.

Don't get me wrong, he has every right to have a Fat bike frame made, and really he has the benefit of making improvements off of the Borealis since he is coming at it second, although he totally missed the mark--probably because he has no experience with Fat bikes, but if he lies about this, then..who knows.
Now that is a Yampa with the clear scuffed off, how cheesy is that! Now the one he is selling is a totally different beast altogether.

·
will rant for food
3,986 Posts
Spending his nest egg on CF molds? Like - one guy?

Is he nuts?! I don't have any solid numbers but based on my own carbon research with pressure bladder molding and inquiries to machining companies, those high volume high polish steel molds have got to be expensive, as in, four zeros minimum.

Does smell a little funny.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hollywood in the Twin Cities deal this companies wares. He's got nothing but good stuff to say about the product. It to me looks like someone wanted to crack the big mfg mold and offer a solid product at a fair price. Remember that as a company based here in the U.S. he'd have to carry insurance in case the product failed and caused an injury. I guess if you don't like or don't want Asian made stuff you should probably just buy a custom U.S. made steel or Ti frame / with U.S. made parts cause 99% of carbon stuff from every mfg comes from Asia.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts