Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
04 Spot is getting bought back from turner, to turner which will get me a new frame for <$600 from retail. I'm honestly stuck between the spot and the frx. Spots been good but the low BB has caused some issues over the years and it just never felt as fun on the downhill as the Joker did.

Bottom line National, Mormon, 24st ,Holbert and Telegraph Pass deserver a bike that will ride up and down them. Which bike?????

What fork for that bike? Pike, Totem, Something zokes (bad wraps right now)

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
This is a good question. Will you be riding the bike anywhere else? Hawes, BCT, Sedona? If it is strictly a SOMO bike, go with the RFX. If you plan on a bit with more than single duty, go with the Spot. I have an 06 RFX built heavy at about 38lbs and it climbs well, descends better. I have thought about going to a Spot though as it is more versatile. The new Spots are running 5.5" and the RFX is 6.4". Lots of people very happy with their Spots with a Talas 36.

I qualify my statements by saying that I have multiple duty bikes. But if I could only have one, it would be the Spot. Besides, that Sangria Red is HOTTT!

·
Registered
216 Posts
My .02 Get the RFX I recently sold a Yeti 575 and ASX and got a RFX w/talas 36. I constantly found my-self reaching the limits on the 575 and the ASX was a little porky for most of the riding I do. After much research I decided the RFX was good middle ground between the two and exactly what I needed. I dig this bike and ride it everywhere I didn't loose a noticeable amount of climbing efficiency over the 575 or descending ability over the ASX. The RFX is my new "do it all" bike and I'm quite pleased with it even though I bottom out allot more on this bike than any I have owned in the past. I might put the low volume body on the RP23 this is discussed on the Turner board and is supposed to improve an already great bike.

I hope this unbiased opinion helps

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,344 Posts
Greg, the RFX is going to be more tolerant of the places you ride including Globe which you did not mention. Saw this kid riding up and down Porcupine in Moab on a RFX and loving it. With the climbing ability and how light you can build a RFX it seems like a good fit. See if you can borrow a loaner for a day.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,523 Posts
Rfx..

·
Registered
765 Posts
I've had both, and I prefer the RFX for South Mtn. While it's way heavier than my Spot was, I can get up more stuff on the RFX. It's slow going on the way up though.
Now what I'd like to get is a Sultan or Flux for the more XC type stuff.

·
I think I need to Upgrade
1,620 Posts
I have an RFX as well as a Flux (for XC use). I upgraded to the RFX after breaking my Spot frame and I couldn't be happier. It will climb anything that I have the legs or ability to climb, and I can still carve an XC trail with it with no problems at all. I have mine set up with a Fox 36RC2 so that would be my reccomendation of fork. It has an excelent balance in handling and suspension with that fork on it. Another thing I would like to mention is that when I go out of town to ride the RFX is my prefered ride because it is so versatile, it can do anything that I have the guts to do from shuttle runs to fast carving XC work.

·
mr. wonderful
879 Posts
Knowing how you ride and what you ride, I would say an 07/08 RFX with an rp23 is perfect for you. It will build a couple of pounds heavier than a spot, but with the longer legs and slightly higher BB it will manage the SoMo gnar with more speed and ease.

What to do for a fork? I love my 07 66SL, but a lot of people have had problems with them. I would buy one again in a heartbeat. I would stay away from Zocchi's 08 air offerings though. The 55 has been a complete bust and from what I've seen of the 08 66SL I would pass. A U-Turn Lyric might be a good choice as would either an 06 or 07 66SL.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
still have Race Face Cranks if Kavu wants them

azdog said:
Greg, the RFX is going to be more tolerant of the places you ride including Globe which you did not mention. Saw this kid riding up and down Porcupine in Moab on a RFX and loving it. With the climbing ability and how light you can build a RFX it seems like a good fit. See if you can borrow a loaner for a day.
I had forgot all about them. I've bee on both bike. Spot will do the job but I'm always a little concerned about fatigue. In fact I think I bent a chain stay in globe with you one day.

Thoughts on the best fork. Lyric or totem for a RFX?

Still have the Joker too. If I go to the RFX I'll probably sell the Joker.

·
Sup?
639 Posts
Rfx

worked through this very same question with a co-worker the other day who has one of each (used to race Turner) RFX all the way

This is the bike I'd pick up as a compliment to the MotoLite (to have another
FS ride in the garage, with just a bit more travelish/beef for harder stuff)

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,344 Posts
bugaroo said:
I know Kavu has a totem and doodooboi has a lyric so hopefully those guys will be able to help out with this one. I just picked up a fox 32RL coil for my stumpy a few months back and digging it. I haven't tried a 36 yet but I'm sure it would run the same since the internals are similar.

·
mr. wonderful
879 Posts
bugaroo said:
I think the Totem is too tall A2C for an 07/08 RFX. A Totem is more suitable to the geometry of a Highline and other 7-8 inch bikes.

Beyond slacking out the RFX, which is more of a personal preference, it will raise the BB to probably close to 15", which would mess with cornering and give it a tall center of gravity, making slow speed tech more challenging. I don't know of anyone who likes a freakishly high BB. If you were on the fence between the Spot and the RFX, I would think you would not want to put a Totem on the RFX. If the Totem was U-Turn like the Lyric, then I could see it as an option.

I would definately stick with a Lyric (and I would do the U-Turn), 06/07 66SL, or a 36 Talas RC2. An 06/07 150mm RC2 is not a bad option either, but they are hard to find.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For the amount of variety I'm riding I'm thinking I'll go with the RFX. Plan on keeping the heavier set of wheels I had on the Joker for SM riding and keeping the wheels off the Spot for XC riding. I think this should allow me enough versatility to cover 90% of my riding. Changing cassettes is simple and it gives me the flexibility to not have to have a quiver of bikes. Of course I want a new road bike too....

Now my decision comes down to forks. I think I'm tossed between the Lyrics and the 36. I have an old, but hardly used 66RC (first year 6 inch) but the axle to crown ratio is just sooo freaking long. Sucks because it is truly "like new" and it's a killer fork. I've had it on the Joker, built up as a light shuttle bike but I just don't shuttle enough to justify it, and of course, its so slack that other than for downhilling it's a mess to pedal.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,523 Posts
bugaroo said:
For the amount of variety I'm riding I'm thinking I'll go with the RFX. Plan on keeping the heavier set of wheels I had on the Joker for SM riding and keeping the wheels off the Spot for XC riding. I think this should allow me enough versatility to cover 90% of my riding. Changing cassettes is simple and it gives me the flexibility to not have to have a quiver of bikes. Of course I want a new road bike too....

Now my decision comes down to forks. I think I'm tossed between the Lyrics and the 36. I have an old, but hardly used 66RC (first year 6 inch) but the axle to crown ratio is just sooo freaking long. Sucks because it is truly "like new" and it's a killer fork. I've had it on the Joker, built up as a light shuttle bike but I just don't shuttle enough to justify it, and of course, its so slack that other than for downhilling it's a mess to pedal.
That's a good question or crappy choice to be stuck with.

I have one of the 66 Light + Eta models from 06 with RC2 and 170mm of travel. It's the "you won't pry it out of my dead hands" 66, because with ETA you can do some pretty steep climbing just fine.

The new 66s are too big, no ETA function.

The 55 with ETA has a crappy TST damping system, not worth it.

The 55 ATA is not worth the chance for the air system (and the damper).

I feel the same about the 36 talas, no easily adjustable oil level, no real oil-seals, and it's been so-so for many people, in fact my riding buddy here that I ride with most of the time has had to send his talas forks (multiple forks) in multiple times for various problems. With those air seals and the travel adjustment, just way too much that can go wrong, and you can't ramp up the progressiveness (there is the bottom-out adjustment internally) too much due to the design.

36 vanilla? If only it had a travel adjust that at least halfed the travel. That would be a hot ticket, otherwise climbing with a 160mm fork is a pita. A vanilla 36 with a travel adjustment is where fox is dropping the ball, but they've invested so much with the talas stuff that their pride or pocketbooks can't seem to realize this.

Totem is also too damn big, although some people like the 2-step, but I've seen so many problems with the air forks with adjustable travel that I am going to stay away for a while.

So that brings us to the lyric U-turn coil, not a "quick" travel adjust unfortunately, but quite possibly the best current combination of damping, spring mechanism and travel adjust. Put a 10mm spacer in the headset if you need it to be a little higher, as I think a 170mm fork is the hot ticket for that bike, but I'm sure you'd get by with 160mm just fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.