Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And the end of the day, is there a standard size frame for your height, or generally does it all come down to personal preference. For dj, fr and so on. Some 6' riders use anything from 14" to 17" frames. Is there a general rule to follow? Just trying to understand

·
Registered
649 Posts
Kevin B said:
And the end of the day, is there a standard size frame for your height, or generally does it all come down to personal preference. For dj, fr and so on. Some 6' riders use anything from 14" to 17" frames. Is there a general rule to follow? Just trying to understand
It's totally down to personal preference i think.
Just depends on what you are more comfortable riding i guess.
Ideally frames should suit a persons height and reach but the 'right' size may not necessarily feel right for them.

·
Registered
388 Posts
As a 6'6" rider who can get away with a surprising range of sizes here are some things:

1) the more pedalling and climbing you're going to do, the more you probably want to be stretched out and have more weight over the front end. This keeps your front end down when you're climbing stuff.
2) you can get away with a smaller size for DH and shuttling use if you know you won't be pedalling that far. I ride an XL for pedalling but only a large for shuttling. Smaller bikes will be more manoeuvrable and this balances out with the longer wheelbase (for stability) on a DH bike.
3) major things to consider is that your body position relative to the BB is a huge factor in pedalling efficiency. The further back, the better for DH and the worse for pedalling. And vice versa.
4) DJ, trials and 4-cross bikes are purpose-built bikes that generally have nothing to do with seated pedalling so you would shop for those bikes based on top tube length/reach.

At 6' you're pretty lucky to have a wide range of sizes on either side of you. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. Its weird because sometimes i feel my 17" Cowan is right for me, but then i realise i don't know what right feels like. I've done 2 foot drop offs with my seat right down, and that was no problem. There is 100mm standover clearence. I have trouble doing a decent wheelie, but no doubt it is due to lack of practice on this bike. Is the bike too big to wheelie easily, me being 6'? Wondering if i should just quit trying to do them, since it is getting frustrating.
I was given advice that this size frame would be ideal for jumping. Wrong advice?

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
Kevin B said:
Thanks for the input. Its weird because sometimes i feel my 17" Cowan is right for me, but then i realise i don't know what right feels like. I've done 2 foot drop offs with my seat right down, and that was no problem. There is 100mm standover clearence. I have trouble doing a decent wheelie, but no doubt it is due to lack of practice on this bike. Is the bike too big to wheelie easily, me being 6'? Wondering if i should just quit trying to do them, since it is getting frustrating.
I was given advice that this size frame would be ideal for jumping. Wrong advice?
I use to ride a 20 inch to climb. it fit perfect. Now I am riding an 18 inch DH bike for everything. Just need to practice for your wheelies. Try raising the seat a little

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.