Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
edemtbs said:
Hills and horizon and slumber and path and Niner.
Nice shots.

What tires do you find are working the best in that type of snow covered trail?

I ask because I am able to head out on a multi-use 8 mile loop trail that would be tough if not for the fact that snow mobiles have mashed the snow down pretty well so I can ride along in the track and stay upright. I've been doing it on the Nevegals and get about 2" or so of "sink" in the snow as long as I keep moving.

I wish I could float above a little better as yesterday's ride felt like I was having to maintain about 250 - 350 watts just to keep the bike moving. Good workout, but it's a little early in the season for me to push that kind of power on a "fun" ride. I came home drenched with sweat after one loop and was spent for the rest of the day. It's snowing more today, so I'll have to wait until the snow mobiles mash down the new stuff.

Weirwolfs? Exi's? XR's? What's everyone found to work (outside of the Pugsley and Surly snow gear)?

BB

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,170 Posts
Um, where's the KE?
Under a blanket, in the warmest part of the house?

Kind of like a winter beater car then the summer car?

Cheers!

Scoty

·
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
banks said:
Um, where's the KE?
Under a blanket, in the warmest part of the house?

Kind of like a winter beater car then the summer car?

Cheers!

Scoty
Hey Scoty - funny you should ask...KE is getting ready for today's ride, he's not afraid. More pics later, it's a beautiful day outside. That wasn't me on the Niner.

Ed E

Attachments

·
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BruceBrown said:
Nice shots.

What tires do you find are working the best in that type of snow covered trail?

BB
Thanks and...

Practically bald Exi's down around 10 psi. But I'm not saying that works great, just what I have on the Walt. Today I'll be riding the Rampages for no other reason than that's all I have on the other bike.

Ed E

·
old enough to know better
300 Posts
Specialized Resolutions

I was riding on road and trail yesterday on a new set of Resolutions. They are 26" :blush: 2.3s but they worked well through the slush, drifts and hardpack here in (the People's Republic of) Boulder County.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
edemtbs said:
Thanks and...

Practically bald Exi's down around 10 psi. But I'm not saying that works great, just what I have on the Walt. Today I'll be riding the Rampages for no other reason than that's all I have on the other bike.

Ed E
I've been surprised at how well Exi's work in the snow. Granted, speeds (for me) are super slow lately.

Anyone see those blog posts about running zipties around the tire for traction? Looks interesting!

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
I used Exi's yesterday in dry powdery to packed powder at about 15 psi. Worked well. I was surprised acutally. I was able to stick right with a guy on a Pugsly.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
~martini~ said:
I used Exi's yesterday in dry powdery to packed powder at about 15 psi. Worked well. I was surprised acutally. I was able to stick right with a guy on a Pugsly.
I'll swap my Nevegals out to a pair of Exi's I have hanging in the garage to see how they do. Just had about 8 inches of heavey wet snow over night and more coming this evening. The snowmobiles will pack the trail down pretty well, so I am hoping the Exi's are easier than the Nevegals in terms of how much effort is required to pedal.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Exiwolf on ice ...

Debaser said:
I've been surprised at how well Exi's work in the snow. Granted, speeds (for me) are super slow lately.

Anyone see those blog posts about running zipties around the tire for traction? Looks interesting!
I took my first winter ride of the season. I'm terribly out of shape, but I was AMAZED at how well the Exiwolfs grabbed the snow. They also went over snow covered ice well.

So here is my revelation. I went to the trail head and found 4 chicagoans there, 3 on 26ers, one on a cyclocross bike, 2 racer types. I took them out on a loop of our trail system and we encountered quite a bit of suspended ice. I rode in front and plowed it and rode over it just fine. The 26ers were lagging WAY behind.

This bike without studs rode WAY better than my 26er with Nokian 296s. My choice is confirmed. 29er forever!!!

The hint about zip ties for traction is interesting. Though, I'm not sure I need them.

·
breathing helium
2,094 Posts
Nice post Ed!

The Ignitors fared pretty miserably on the white stuff today. Of course snow for this part of the world gets slushy in a hurry and that's just what it was...a soupy mix of ice, water, snow, and mud. I was able to get up most of my regular ride, but coming down was very interesting. The trail was so damagegd by the windstorms we have had lately that it was literally unrideable due to debris and blowdown. I think I'll stick to winter sports for the time being! ;) The snowshoeing at Hurricane Ridge yesterday was breathtaking.

Attachments

·
Registered
944 Posts
willtsmith_nwi said:
I took my first winter ride of the season. I'm terribly out of shape, but I was AMAZED at how well the Exiwolfs grabbed the snow. They also went over snow covered ice well.

So here is my revelation. I went to the trail head and found 4 chicagoans there, 3 on 26ers, one on a cyclocross bike, 2 racer types. I took them out on a loop of our trail system and we encountered quite a bit of suspended ice. I rode in front and plowed it and rode over it just fine. The 26ers were lagging WAY behind.

This bike without studs rode WAY better than my 26er with Nokian 296s. My choice is confirmed. 29er forever!!!

The hint about zip ties for traction is interesting. Though, I'm not sure I need them.
Where were you riding? how deep was the snow?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.