Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent a three-day weekend up in Lake Tahoe riding some of the greatest hits. Previously had only ridden at Hole in the Ground (HITG). Weather was perfect. Clear and cool. Almost cold sometimes with the wind coming up over the peaks.

If you need to add something to your Bucket List. Place Lake Tahoe (with a side trip to Downieville) way up there.

Day one was spent at HITG. It is right of Highway 80 on the drive up to Lake Tahoe from our lower elevation resting places. Near the Donner Summit where it is cool to be a cannibal. We started with an out and back on the Donner Rim Trail. Trails here have a good flow. Goes from pretty smooth singletrack littered with pine needles and crushed granite to going up and down and up and down on small granite step ups and down.

Thought it would be wise to bring the single speed. And riding at a much higher elevation than I am use to had me worried. I am at sea level, Tahoe is not. It worked out pretty well.

Attachments

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Day 2 was Tourist Day. We rode the Tahoe Rim Trail (only open to bikes on even days) to the Flume Trail. Nothing very technical about this trail. But you go for the views. Trail skirts above Lake Tahoe offering up a constant show of the deepest blue I have ever seen. Lake Tahoe is gorgeous.

Camera shooting mode was improperly set.

This trail has a gentle climb from the meadow. And cruises along the TRT for about 8 miles. Little fun sections. And then you hit the Flume Trail. Very smooth, and fast but popular with people visiting so we took our time.

Attachments

·
Praise Bob
490 Posts
Love it!

Thanks for the passion hit. I was out in Downieville last year at this time and it was perfect. How long do you think those trails will be ridable before it gets too cold? I wanted to get out there this year and I think I am running out of time.

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Day 3 was ****ing awesome. We did Christmas Valley and Toad's. Toad's otherwise known as Saxon Creek Trail is a new favorite trail. Made my top ten easily even after trips to Downieville, Utah and Colorado.

Xmas valley was the warm up. Nice 600' climb and a steady slow descent mixed in with rocks and burnt trees.

Toad's is a 4 mile singletrack climb. Doable on a geared bike. But after a few days of riding at elevation, to much tequila the night before and a single speed it was a push. But the views of granite, trees and anticipation of singletrack is worth it.

The descent ****ing rocked. It was rocky and technical and the top and then turned into a screaming descent with berms, banks and steps.

Attachments

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Know people have ridden Downieville and presumably Tahoe almost close to Halloween (late October). It is a lot colder of course and the shuttle companies greatly abbreviate their runs, especially week day.

Depends on the snow and rain we get this year. The best would be to hit Downieville right after the first snow/rain dusting.

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you are referring to the berm, those are concrete pavers. Other picture is of some wood stairs with granite slabs between each step.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
You got some great shots there baycat. Is that near heavenly? Do they even have bike trails in heavenly? I have only ever been out there during ski season...beautiful place...skiing is ok.

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pretty much. We stayed near Stateline (Heavenly). TRT-Flume is about a 45 minute drive to the trailhead. And Toad's is close by.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
CraigCreekRider said:
Nice Pics - love that blue water. Thanks.!

What is the lattice type of material I see on some of the photos. Is that something used to stabilize the tread? Never seen that in my area.
It's sometimes called Turf-block. You can actually use it for driveways and parking areas, and grow grass or other groundcover in the openings. It's also great for sections of trail that get seasonally wet.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
I thought that they might run the gondola out there during the summer but I guess not. It seems like there would be some great riding up on Heavenly. I'll get out one of these days to do some riding.

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
whoops. failed to answer your question. I do not think there are any trails up in Heavenly. Or at least good ones you can get from the gandola.

Northstar has that where you take the lifts up and bomb down on DH runs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts