Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy and I are looking to make our first trip to the Lake Tahoe area and we are Looking for some advice.

Sounds like it can be kind of cold there , so we are thinking about making the trip in August, or is there a better time?

We are both very experienced technical riders. From looking at the trail reviews on mtbr.com it looks like there are lots of very highly rated trails. What are your favorite tails around Lake Tahoe. Any trails that we should be sure not to miss?

Are there any books you would recommend?

Any lodging and or restaurants recommendations would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
759 Posts
There are several options and they are all good. Near the North Shore of Tahoe you can do Northstar resort, Hole in the Ground, Mt. Rose to Spooner Lake (get a shuttle from a local bike store or Flume Trail Bikes), Spooner Lake to The Flume Trail with extension onto the Tahoe Rim Trail up to Marlette Lake Overlook. Moving east towards South Lake Tahoe is Spooner Summit to Kingsbury Grade out and back, "The Punisher" from Nevada lodge of Heavenly Valley Resort to Mr. Toads wild ride, Poweline up to Armstrong Pass and down Mr. Toad's, Big Meadow to Armstrong Pass and down Upper Corral>Lower Corral, Big Meadow to Christmas Valley....O.K., I'll stop before your head explodes with information. My advise is to PM a local when you get closer to your arrival date and try to set up a ride. TahoeBC, Nutball Champ, Tahoetic are the beta kings in the South Tahoe area. Good luck.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It's not cold right now. If you wait until the end of summer it will be hot and the trails will be very dusty and loose. The riding is prime now. The higher trails should be clear in a couple more weeks.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Try here

Lots of photos, maps, videos here: http://arnica.csustan.edu/mtbike
Many great trails and breathtaking scenery everywhere. I suggest you post a few days before arriving and plenty of people will probably volunteer to show you the trails. I doubt I'll be ready by then. All summer has perfect weather. Could get an occasional scattered thunderstorm beginning in August. I only care about a bed and shower so I always stay at the Motel 6. Book online and save a few more $$.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts