Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some friends and I will be traveling to AZ and UT at the end of may and wanted to stop by lake Powell. Are there any areas we could park our van and ride down to a beach or overlook to spend the night? Perhaps its not really possible but any leads on a secluded are would be awesome.

I know most of the lake lies in Utah but i figured some of you locals might have some insight.

Thanks

·
Banned
7,965 Posts
You are going to find that there is very little secluded access to the lake via car or bike. Most of the lake is surrounded by cliffs and a lot of sand.

I you are going to be at the south end of the lake there is a camp ground near the Wahweap Marina.

You might try calling the Museum (928-645-9496) and asking about any available areas close by. My only experience is from on the water.

·
Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
859 Posts

·
Addicted to 2 wheels
957 Posts
Lake Powell is no good for mountain bikes. All the soil around there is sand. So I guess fat bike folks might like it?

That said, I love camping there. It just lowers my blood pressure.

Go to Lone Rock Beach. 5 miles North of Wahweep marina area. Camping is $10/day. You should be able to get around on 2WD if you are careful and have driven in sand. 4WD would be ideal. If you got stuck, i am sure someone out there would help you out. Basically set up right on the beach and chill. Bring your own table and dig a fire ring and beers. Water will still be a little chilly, but not bad. There are bathrooms in walking distance and showers by entrance I beleive.

There will be others there, but all groups seem real respectful there.

Lone Rock Beach - Big Water - Reviews of Lone Rock Beach - TripAdvisor

Wahweep CG is far from the water, and looked like RV hook up parking lot paradise as I drove by it.

A couple cool things to do. Hike a slot canyon. Buckskin is fre and North. Antelope Canyon is on the rez and is a tour for $$. Chartered a fishing boat last summer and had a blast with the kids catching stripped bass. The dam tour is also fun too.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I did a race there in 1996, it was called the "Red Rock Rumble," the course was between Page and the lake. It was a fun course, it had area's where we rode right along cliffs descending hundreds of feet right into the lake. There were actually hay bales protecting us from ourselves. I bet the LBS's could point you to it. If I remember correctly, the trail was called "Broken Bone".

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.