Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any trails in the Lake Placid area worth a 5 hour road trip and a stayover, possibly a weekend?

The crew I ride with are more single track / xc types, some moderate technical is fine, but nothing really scary, I occaisonally ski at whiteface, and have also made it a summer afternoon stop on my way to see family in NH. What an awesome area to visit. can't wait to visit again winter or summer.

Blueliner

·
Ride.
118 Posts
I would ride Lake Placid if I was already there. I dont know if It would warrant a 5 hr trip though as it can get techy, rocky and rooty. However, Lake Placid is a very nice place to visit.

·
Big Hittin'
478 Posts
Try doin a good search I remember reading a while back there was some spots around the area. I know whiteface mountain has downhill and I believe some xc stuff.

I have a book called " mountain bikin in eastern ny" that I got as a gift it lists a few place around the adironqcks that might be worth checking out. I habit been to any but I will be riding DH at whitface this summer

·
Registered
45 Posts
Lake Placid has some great riding yes it is wet, rocky and rooty. Pine Pond Trail is worth it. Contact Placid Planet Bicycles the staff there are the most friendly and helpful group around they will point you in the right direction. The village of lake placid is a lot of fun ive been going there for the past 35 years. I live 4 hours from Lake Placid and it is worth the trip.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I live in Wilmington which is where Whiteface Mtn is located. The Flume trails connect with the lower mtn trails of Whiteface and there is a project in the works to connect the Flume trails with the Hardy Road trails that are nearby. I haven't ridden the Hardy Road trails yet, but I've heard good things about them. Downhill Mike is currently working on a website for the Town of Wilmington that will highlight all the trails in the area. According to Downhill Mikes Facebook page the website should be up and running soon. Lake Placid also has the Loggers Loop trails just outside of town. Wilmington and Lake Placid are very bike friendly and attract alot of roadies due to the Ironman event that's here every July. Now the towns are pushing hard to attract the off-road bikers by building a network of trails like the Kingdom trails in VT. There is a visitors center in Wilmington (just up the road from the new dirt jump park) that can give you info. Or stop in Placid Planet or High Peaks Cyclery in Lake Placid.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Planning a stop over day here in June, see a trail area called Loggers \ Lussi. Seems flater for an indermiate rider with me. Review said some stunts and linked to another more difficult, and hilly area also. Any info. . Thx

·
Registered
58 Posts
Planning a stop over day here in June, see a trail area called Loggers \ Lussi. Seems flater for an indermiate rider with me. Review said some stunts and linked to another more difficult, and hilly area also. Any info. . Thx
Loggers/lussi has a wide variety of trails, while there are a few trails without much elevation change there are also a few which do quite a bit of climbing. There are also some really fun jumps/rock drops back there for you to have fun on. Visit Barkeater Trails Alliance and there is a picture of one of the rock drops in Lussi that is very easy to find. Every bike shop in town sells the local trail maps for $10 which go towards the trail builders and will show you everything worth riding!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would recommend the trail maps for a donation as well, but they are starting to put stuff up on trailforks as well. Its a stellar app for riding and finding new trails. My club has been loggin trails about 2 hours north for half a year or so now. Its an awesome tool.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.