Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one know where I can score the lake winter shoes online? The singlespeed content is that I need them to ride my ss commuter! figured someone out there might know!

Any other comparable options for clipless pedals? It was 5 degrees this morning and 2 pairs of socks and my shoe covers did not cut it! I only got feeling back in my toes about 20 minutes after getting to school!

·
Registered
885 Posts
here...

bikeman.com

You'll love em'.

1 cog frog said:
Any one know where I can score the lake winter shoes online? The singlespeed content is that I need them to ride my ss commuter! figured someone out there might know!

Any other comparable options for clipless pedals? It was 5 degrees this morning and 2 pairs of socks and my shoe covers did not cut it! I only got feeling back in my toes about 20 minutes after getting to school!

·
Registered
756 Posts
....one pair of socks - preferably wool, empty bread bag (plastic bag) over the socks, and thick shoe covers - Pearl Izumi Amfib. The plastic bags will hold the heat in (if any). Also, you could try disposable hand/feet warmers. While the above method would probably work, the Lake's would be more stylish... :D

·
Steel and teeth.
577 Posts
1 cog frog said:

On sale at Performance for $150. <I guess that was yesterday... Today at $199.>

bb

·
Registered
345 Posts
A word of advice-get one size larger than your summer shoes. I use 42.5 sidi dominator 5's in the summer, and the 43 Lake's are just a bit too snug for thick socks. I ended up putting in footbeds that accept chemical warmers.

I couldn't find them 43.5.

Just my $.02,

Joe

·
( )
755 Posts
check out the MXZ301's. They're the newest version. They have the BOA closure which allows you to tighten the shoe by turning a dial. A bit more money though, I got mine at Speedgoat for $197 and bikeman had them for about the same price.

I put them to the test today as my commute was very snowy and at parts too deep to pedal through. An hour of pedaling and walking through snow and my feet were toasty. I sized up one size also, though only wore one pair of smartwool socks and it was all good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good boots, bad time of the year to buy. Watch eBay.

I sized mine the same as my summer Lakes. When it gets real cold (below 20°F) I pull out the insole and swap in a thinner one so I can use big wool socks.

·
Registered
395 Posts
calzonical said:
....one pair of socks - preferably wool, empty bread bag (plastic bag) over the socks, and thick shoe covers - Pearl Izumi Amfib. The plastic bags will hold the heat in (if any). Also, you could try disposable hand/feet warmers. While the above method would probably work, the Lake's would be more stylish... :D
Been there, done that, good for quick downpours or unexpected slush... rather do sealskinz or goretex socks. Screw those expensive Lakes, toss on a pair of skinz or gores and your good to go, esp for <1 hour ride. All day in them your bound to have a leak or two, sucks at 40 degrees and raining, but again why pay over $180 for a pair of shoes for the winter when you can buy on ebay seals for $15 shipped, toss on your cheapo clipless shoes (my case 661 clipless bmx-styles, $30+) and your good. Suggested gear for anyone east of CA in the winter (you wusses compain way too much if the temp gets below 40 degrees and maybe cloudly for more than 40 minutes):
helmet + goretex balaclava
tee/jersey + Wind/Waterproof Jacket (northface, goretex, etc)
longjohns + goretex pants or dickies, depending if wet out
bike socks + sealskinz/goretex socks + shoes
windstopper gloves + goretex glove shells

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
An alternative to the Lake 300 is the Answer Kashmir. Its made with the same English Pittards Leather which is water proof. It has a nice stiff sole and looks very similar. Its only $108 at AE Bike. I took mine out on my coldest ride yet 40 miles at 22 degrees with one pair of socks. My feet did get cold but I think with two pairs I might have been ok. I think for $108 its a bargain. The 301 is supposed to keep feet warm to 15 degrees and I think its much better insulated than the Answer which only has a thin layer of neoprene. I think the Lake has Thinsulate. The Lake cost about $90 more.

·
Registered
256 Posts
No, my feet are toasty.... the wife missed the boat!

Drevil said:
Miss the boat again this year? :p
I was thinking it would be a nice x-mas gift. I guess I'll have to keep looking for that IF hardtail for her :)

Dave

Hmmm... I need to check to see who I'm logged in as!

·
Registered
504 Posts
I Now Have a Few Rides in the 301's...

and I am loving them!! I have horrible circulation in my feet, I mean i can get cold in my Sidi's when the temp drops to 50. Never found anything that keeps me warm. I have been out in low 20's three times now with the 301's. I do add the chemical heat packs, and the shoes are like ovens they are so well insulated. I bought mine from Larry at MtnHigh, but they are around. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
395 Posts
You guys are just pain nuts to spend that much on a pair of shoes for the winter... went riding in 4" of snow, 3 hours last sat in my SealSkinz and maybe at one point when I stopped my toes got cold. They where so dry and warm I put on my reg. shoes and wore them home for the drive. Seriously, ebay for $15 shipped and they will last many seasons if taken care of. The guy I rode with left his $200 pair of Lakes at home because he said they sucked at keeping his feet warm, dry maybe, but he said they never worked well to keep em warm. Instead he rode with flat pedals and boots. He was also amazed and kept asking me if my feet where cold.

·
Steel and teeth.
577 Posts
usr666 said:
You guys are just pain nuts to spend that much on a pair of shoes for the winter... went riding in 4" of snow, 3 hours last sat in my SealSkinz and maybe at one point when I stopped my toes got cold. They where so dry and warm I put on my reg. shoes and wore them home for the drive. Seriously, ebay for $15 shipped and they will last many seasons if taken care of. The guy I rode with left his $200 pair of Lakes at home because he said they sucked at keeping his feet warm, dry maybe, but he said they never worked well to keep em warm. Instead he rode with flat pedals and boots. He was also amazed and kept asking me if my feet where cold.
Oh well... call me crazy, but I like warm feet and have ridden long enough to know what I like... and what works FOR ME. :)

bb

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
usr666 said:
There are so many ways to do things cheaper. I've seen guys use plastic bags on their feet between their socks and shoes. I did that when I first started biking. I also have Gore socks, which work fine, but when it gets downright diggity cold, I like my Lakes.

·
Registered
395 Posts
b1umb0y said:
Oh well... call me crazy, but I like warm feet and have ridden long enough to know what I like... and what works. :)
Same here, maybe just a poorer or cheaper person than the average joe. Rode several years as a messenger on Skinz and Gore socks in -10 to 50 degrees in snow and rain, eventually you get some leakage but they last for a long time. I started carrying an extra pair and would switch em out round 1pm. Oh well if you got it to burn why not :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.