Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends of mine live in Lake Harmony and have asked me now and then about mountain biking. Other than the Jim Thorpe rails to trails, I don't know anything about the area.

Trails that I am familiar with include Moon Lake, Seven Tubs, Francis Slocum, Moosice, LSP, Merli and Prompton but these trails are more in the scranton - wilkes-barre area and would be a drive from Lake Harmony. From a map it looks like Seven Tubs would be closest to them but I suspect that will be too technical for them right now and they would be better off with something closer so that they can get to the trails more frequently once the rain stops (if ever).

Any good trails in that area??? I know Hickory State Park is very close but I have never heard of mountain biking at that park.

Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, any trails similar to Moon Lake for them to try out?

Forgot about Peterson's - looks to be practically down the street from them. I think they would start with rails to trails but they say they would like to go on trails at some point.
Re: Hickory - yeah that makes sense - haven't been there in years but do remember walking in the boulder field.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well rail trails, they can ride the Lehigh Gorge from White Haven (about 20 or so min west of Lake Harmony) all the way to Jim Thorpe. They can get maps online, maybe petersons or (ugh) Blue Mt sports in Jim Thorpe. For bikes and gear I'd stick to Peterson's.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
White Haven? anything like LSP near Lake Harmony???

Now that name is familiar. Do they have singletrack in or around that area? Ideally, I would be looking for the equivalent of Lackawanna State Park since I know they will be reluctant to drive to LSP from Lake Harmony. I think something like LSP would get their attention in terms of it being tough enough but they can bail as needed and also LSP has nice scenery along with lots of smooth sections for them to play on. Anything like LSP near Lake Harmony?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I really don't think there's any decent singletrack without driving to some of the areas you mentioned. I used to live near Blakeslee and would occasionally ride at the Pohopoco State Park(I think that's the name), which was down 115, towards the race track. Very easy to miss, even if you live in the area. Peterson's might even be doing their rides there because it's so close to them. The trails were pretty rocky (in the beginning sections) and I think they were aimed more towards ATVS (that's the only people I ever saw there) but there were some selections of singletrack, doubletrack, and then mostly fireroads after you did the first 1 1/2 miles of the trail.

·
Rob
48 Posts
Jim Thorpe is not far away. Or, Camelback(Big Pocono State Park) All within 30 min from Lake Harmony. Pohopoco is now named Dixon R Miller. More ATV, very rocky!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts