Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
And if not, why not?
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from my laguna beach vacation. I want to say thank you to everyone here that gave me advise. I checked out both performance, and rock and road for maps, directions, and supplies. I got there on friday eve. and by the time I got on my bike my legs were already shot from 2 hikes with my gf, checking out the trails, and a day in disneyland.I ride a 23lb HT with an 80 mil fork, and I just left everything stock throughout the trip(no tire pressure or seatpostajdustments). I went to crystal cove park on tues. with a map, and did two hours there.I started at the lot where el toro meets laguna canyon. I rode willow canyon up tobommer ridge, dropped on tomissing link to fenceline (sweet!) down red tail and rattlesnake, and then down mach one (38.5 mph) I would love to go back and see how fast I could go if I pushed it, but I didn't know the trail, so I didn't want to wash out in sand and 40+.I went up "I think I can" which I thought would be worse, but it still hurt in the middle ring. Morro ridge was actually worse, because I wasn't expecting it. Then down old emerald falls, which was hard to get a rythm on, and was a fun challenge. This is where it all went wrong. I wentUPold emerald, which just sucked, in the granny gear. I dabbed a couple times in the very begining, but cleared the rest. then it was downbommer to laguna ridge trail. I am an xc geek. I was not ready for laguna ridge. I walked the first 50 feet, and the two big rock drop offs, and the vert shoot to I couldn't see what, but I rode and cleaned the rest, and then back over laguna canyon trail back to the car. Next episode: laguna coast park.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sounds like you already did Laguna Coast Wilderness Park. Old Emerald Falls (BVD to us) , Old Emerald (Erection). Laguna Ridge (T&A) Bommer and Willow are all in LCWP.
BTW- regardless of the name, Mach I is not a good one to open up the throttle on. It's very popular with hikers and even families because it's close to the main El Moro parking lot.
Glad you had a good time here. Come back again and this time get the gf on a bike too.

·
"Why I oughta..."
207 Posts
Thanks for riding our "backyard". It is one of the reasons I bought a home here (next to Aliso & Wood Canyon) as I can get home from work, hit the trails and be back for shower and dinner.

Glad you enjoyed it!

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Good you got some good riding in! Missed a few around LCWP and El Morro, but I'm not mentioning any names, even though I'm up in Idaho now!

·
Registered
278 Posts
mtnbkrdr98 said:
Good you got some good riding in! Missed a few around LCWP and El Morro, but I'm not mentioning any names, even though I'm up in Idaho now!
Seeing as how LCWP rangers now have citations priviliges and Crystal Cove now has a ranger specifically assigned to the El Moro backcountry, It's probably best that he stuck to the trails he mentioned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.