Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi girls! (guys, if you're squeemish, stop reading here!!)

i have a serious tampon question for you all. i know we've dealt with this issue to some extent a while back :)D) but i was faced with a dilemma on Sat that i sorta worked out but would like to hear how others would deal with it.

here's the deal: i did a super-long road ride on Sat. it was an organized ride with a 125 mile option, which i chose to do (ride report should be posted tomorrow!). i knew i would be out on the road for 7-7.5 hrs. of course, i woke up Sat am and got my period! :rolleyes: now, it does slow down during exercise as we all know but i still wanted to be sure to have tampons with me just in case.

here's what i did: i put a tampon in the back pocket of my jersey (along with my CO2s, a spare tube, 7 gels, etc). this seemed like a good solution until i took the tampon out to use it. it was soggy from sitting against my sweaty back for 3 hrs!! :eek: needless to say, it was useless. fortunately, i could do without, but if the ride were today i would be in trouble!

here's my question: how would you carry them and what would you take?! (i don't wear a camelbak or any other type of pack on the road so putting them in there is not an option.)

rt

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,908 Posts
could also stick it someplace other than a jersey pocket. Small saddle bag for example (ironic location there for it).

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
ziplocks rule. I also take lots of extra tp, if nothing else to wrap up the offending creature until I can dispose of it properly. I'm always in the back country, and so "pack it out " is a must.

Why is it that these all say epics always end up occuring on my heaviest days? I ended up with the worst case of saddle sort, I think it's because of extra congestion in the area. I never get saddle sore othewise.

formica

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
At the drugstore, check out the section where they sell travel items- you know, the soap holders, empty plastic bottles, tiny shampoos etc. A plastic toothbrush holder might be just about the right size!

But Ziploc bags work great, and it's always best to have moist towelettes and extra tissues (and extra plastic sandwich bags) for purposes of carrying out.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MidAtlanticXCer said:
These are great for everything. They keep your $ / tampons / kleenex dry.
good idea. i didn't think of the ziplock till it was too late. i'll buy a box of the snack size tonight when i'm at the store. :)

rt

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Christine said:
At the drugstore, check out the section where they sell travel items- you know, the soap holders, empty plastic bottles, tiny shampoos etc. A plastic toothbrush holder might be just about the right size!

But Ziploc bags work great, and it's always best to have moist towelettes and extra tissues (and extra plastic sandwich bags) for purposes of carrying out.
i think i'll go with baggies. a toothbrush holder would definitely be too tall to fit into a jersey pocket. :) i was lucky for this ride in that they had port-o-potties set up at each of the SAGs so i didn't have to worry about packing out.

rt

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
formica said:
... Why is it that these all say epics always end up occuring on my heaviest days?
ya got me! :D but it always seems to happen doesn't it?! must be murphy's law of menstration or something! :rolleyes:

rt

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
my gf who was with me was making jokes about a PMS ride.... we could male bash all we want, pass out ibuprofen and chocolate at every break, we'd ALL be riding like dorks, compare tampon brands, it'd be a hoot. We's all have to live in the same house for 6 months prior in order to get synchronized, tho.

formica

·
Registered
922 Posts
the keeper can be used longer than a tampon since no obsorbsion(sp)

It's great for those long days since you can go 8 hours or so with out haveing to empty it.

no toxic shock, it's made out of natural rubber.

Otherwise, zip baggies rule. They have saved my cell phone more than once too.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CycleMainiac said:

It's great for those long days since you can go 8 hours or so with out haveing to empty it.

no toxic shock, it's made out of natural rubber.

Otherwise, zip baggies rule. They have saved my cell phone more than once too.
i think i'll go with the baggies! :p

rt

·
Back in the saddle!
123 Posts
*rt* said:
i find ob's can get kinda messy.

rt
I'm not sure if ob's are the ones I use for smaller purposes or not. I was going to suggest the 'travel' size type tampons in plastic that are kinda folded into the applicator. The only problem with that is if you open them in a hurry, sometimes you pull the applicator part out and then you have to wrestle with rethreading the string through the applicator, etc. :eek: Then you'll have an excuse as to why your race time was a little lacking, lol. ;)

Atty

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
CycleMainiac said:

What about super heavy flow days? the change a super plus every two hours kind of flood? I'd seriously consider it for my longer rides but I have certain days where it seems like my whole period is over in a 24 hours or less.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Atty said:
I'm not sure if ob's are the ones I use for smaller purposes or not. I was going to suggest the 'travel' size type tampons in plastic that are kinda folded into the applicator. The only problem with that is if you open them in a hurry, sometimes you pull the applicator part out and then you have to wrestle with rethreading the string through the applicator, etc. :eek: Then you'll have an excuse as to why your race time was a little lacking, lol. ;)

Atty
good idea. the compact ones are a better size for jersey pockets (i kept worrying that the one i had with me would poke out the top of my pocket! :eek: ). and if i put them into a baggie then they will be doubly protected!

rt

·
Registered
329 Posts
I was going to suggest the same thing. they are tiny, plastic wrapped and if you just through in a little wetwipe, you can clean afterwards as well.

I use a keeper, but not on the bike. I find it uncomfortable for riding.

·
Cracker-magnon
1,149 Posts
*rt* said:
a toothbrush holder would definitely be too tall to fit into a jersey pocket. :)
Shorter than a tooth brush holder.... go to the candy section. Buy one of those plastic tubes of M&M minis. My wife uses one, perfect size, comes with chocolate, leave the lable on it or not :) .

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
gpsser said:
Shorter than a tooth brush holder.... go to the candy section. Buy one of those plastic tubes of M&M minis. My wife uses one, perfect size, comes with chocolate, leave the lable on it or not :) .
very clever! :D

rt

·
Registered
145 Posts
Pack it in..pack it out.

I, too, use plastic baggies. I think for RT's purposes, the little snack size ones will be OK, as it sounds like port-a-potties are along the way for disposal purposes.

However, I must admit that I quadruple wrap my used ones when I'm in the backcountry. And I use freezer-style baggies which are thicker and more durable. I just can't stand the thought of that, um, smell, attracting all the carnivors of the forest to my general vicinity....if you know what I mean.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts