Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had the privilege to be present at the Maiden voyage, of Ventana's Newest creation.
El Capitan!

4" Travel 29'er.

First impressions, wow is it tall. The tires just looks so dang big, but Geez do they roll over obstacles ridiculously easy. Curbs don't matter anymore! (As I witnessed Sherwood roll over a curb no handed) Stairs, HA! Roots, babyheads? seamingly disappear. And at the hands of a great bike handler the bike was a suprisingly agile perfomer.

First Set of Pics, the Bike itself.

1) 17" El Capitan Driveside

2)17" El Capitan Brake Side

3) El Capitan (How do I type in the accent mark????)

Attachments

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
El Capitan - World Premier - Action Shots....

And here's the Actions Shots...

1) Air Cap'n!!!

2) Rolling a fun Rock/Concrete Ledge.(STIL)

3) Rolling? Heck Drop-It! Concrete Ledge (STIL)

4) Stairs? What Stairs?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Turgid member...

...that is sweet. Some comments:

1. Front Nano on backwards.
  2. (Pleasantly) surprised they're using an X5 front end - thought it was going to use the Salty diamond.
  3. Get a stiffer fork to match that beautiful frame.
  4. I want one. Yesterday.
Sean

·
Ventana Mountain Bikes
172 Posts
Yeah, I know the Nano is on backwards...er...that is after Ciclista pointed that out on the trail. You see I was all bleary eyed with new-bike-wood and didn't notice it when I threw that thing together on Friday night.

And those pedals are just some of our demo combo Shimano SPD/platforms that I threw on so I could go for a ride. I broke the plastic platform off on that stair climb. In fact in the posted stair climb pic the platform is still there. I did those stairs at least 7 or 8 times, and one time I just caught my toe on the face of the top step and broke the platform clean off. And still made it up the stairs!

Had to go with the X-5 style top tube to gain enough standover height to keep my boys out of danger.

I really did dig the bike. Rolled exceptionally well and I could climb just about anything I aimed it at. I even was able to clean two climbs I have never been able to do in the past, and as you can see from the pics, I am a lonnnng way off of being fit. Musta been the bike/wheels...fork is only so-so, noodles around quite a bit, we put WB's on our demo bikes instead of the Zoke, wheels are not super stiff, and I am not especially tall. I could see where big wheels could be a huge confidence booster for big guys though.

Please stop by and try one out for yourself at our booth at Sea Otter.

Sherwood

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Nice lookin ride

Way cool - glad to see a 29er added to the Ventana lineup.

A few questions for Sherwood:

What sort of rear tire clearance is there? Can you fit one of the new ExiWolf 2.3s? (Asking this as a public service - you will probably get this one a lot.)

What is the shock size? Same as the Salty / X-5?

Now that you don't have anything to do but ride, how about designing a 29er El Toro? :D

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
OK Sherwood, you asked for it.

If you are committed to a 29'er I'm going to finally have to assume there is some benefits over a 26 inch wheel. What I've heard so far is when they get rolling they stay rolling.

My current impressions/concerns (I've only had a couple parking lot rides on 29ers)

1. Handling, I like a bike to handle with a decent amount of agility and bigger wheels would seem to equal a longer wheelbase for a given frame size, slowing handling.

2. Wheel concerns - Weight, Strength, Stiffness. Bigger wheels will be heavier, and be tougher to build as strong and as stiff (I think) over a 26 inch wheel.

3. Geometry, The few I have ridden just seem to feel "floppy" in the front end. Similar to when a fork that it way too long is put on a frame.

4. Accleration (would be slower given the larger wheel).

What I have read/and can imagine are benefits

1. Traction since the contact area is larger.

2. when they get rolling, they roll.

Now I know that we are riding 26 inch rims since that was what was available.

Seriously, I know I'd really like your impressions and what you think about advantages, disadvantages etc. Where you would choose a 29er over a 26 etc.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
As thankful as I am...

...that Sherwood has come through with a FS 29er I must admit that if you've been waiting for validation from him to put you over the top maybe you're just not ready for The Revolution.

If you haven't already, read the FAQ - most of your concerns have long since been addressed there.

Come aboard. You'll love 29erism.

Sean

Green Giant said:
If you are committed to a 29'er I'm going to finally have to assume there is some benefits over a 26 inch wheel.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
sherwood said:
I really did dig the bike. Rolled exceptionally well and I could climb just about anything I aimed it at. I even was able to clean two climbs I have never been able to do in the past
Precisely. Couple that tendency to climb anything with the ability to roll over larger objects (for a given level of skill on the rider's part) and the phenominal traction in loose conditions, and you have the reason I'm so attached to 29" wheels- they let you ride more and walk less!

Folks, you're looking at what could be the most capable all around mountain bike ever. It looks really nice Sherwood, and I'm sure it rides even nicer.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Over a curb no-handed?!!!

...So you're saying I could light a cigarette while riding the el Capitan regardless of terrain? That's so moto!!!

I'm thinking that If I get an el Capitan, I won't have to quit smoking before Mammoth.

Feel the gin

Ciclistagonzo said:
So I had the privilege to be present at the Maiden voyage, of Ventana's Newest creation.
El Capitan!

4" Travel 29'er.

First impressions, wow is it tall. The tires just looks so dang big, but Geez do they roll over obstacles ridiculously easy. Curbs don't matter anymore! (As I witnessed Sherwood roll over a curb no handed) Stairs, HA! Roots, babyheads? seamingly disappear. And at the hands of a great bike handler the bike was a suprisingly agile perfomer.

First Set of Pics, the Bike itself.

1) 17" El Capitan Driveside

2)17" El Capitan Brake Side

3) El Capitan (How do I type in the accent mark????)

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You always could twist reality....

******* said:
...So you're saying I could light a cigarette while riding the el Capitan regardless of terrain? That's so moto!!!

I'm thinking that If I get an el Capitan, I won't have to quit smoking before Mammoth.

Feel the gin
To suit your vices!! =^D

You'll need to quit just to survive the elevation. Base Camp 8500'.

-Aaron

·