Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does LT decrease during recovery and/or later on race day?

While researching this topic online, I've not come across anyone discussing the variability of LT. Here's my subjective example...when I was doing a 12-hour race, my first lap my heart rate would get pretty high before experiencing the lactic build up. Three hours later on my second lap, my heart rate was much lower given the same amount of lactic build up - I felt burning sensation in my legs while my heart rate was still pretty low. I don't have a HRM so I can't give objective data, but I definitely have experienced this in a qualitative way, especially during training. It almost seems like what I'm experiencing has little to with my heart rate and more about general muscle fatigure.

Anyone else experience this? What can I do to mitigate the recovery time? Protein supplements?

·
Registered
692 Posts
ian_carlson said:
Does LT decrease during recovery and/or later on race day?

While researching this topic online, I've not come across anyone discussing the variability of LT. Here's my subjective example...when I was doing a 12-hour race, my first lap my heart rate would get pretty high before experiencing the lactic build up. Three hours later on my second lap, my heart rate was much lower given the same amount of lactic build up - I felt burning sensation in my legs while my heart rate was still pretty low. I don't have a HRM so I can't give objective data, but I definitely have experienced this in a qualitative way, especially during training. It almost seems like what I'm experiencing has little to with my heart rate and more about general muscle fatigure.

Anyone else experience this? What can I do to mitigate the recovery time? Protein supplements?
google heart rate suppression

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm???

i tried, but that didn't really help clarify. can you provide a conceptual synopsis of those technical articles of interest? i read the abstracts a few times and it still appears like mumbo jumbo to me.

·
Registered
692 Posts
ian_carlson said:
i tried, but that didn't really help clarify. can you provide a conceptual synopsis of those technical articles of interest? i read the abstracts a few times and it still appears like mumbo jumbo to me.
I'm trying to search and coming up short, but if I remember right....in summary (at sub maximal loads) your HR will have a bell curve shape to it at the same power output over time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts