Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that lactate threshold can be determined without blood testing. I have looked for formula's and theories, but have come up empty handed. Can anybody elaborate ?
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
173 Posts
what I was shown

It's easy enough to find out it just involves a controlled environment with of course a heart rate monitor.
It's best to do it on your trainer at home as it keeps the variables to a minimum. You need to do it in stages such as 2 mph every 4 minutes or such. Consistency is key.
start with a warm up and when ready start the increases. Keep them up until you cannot anymore then cool down. You then need to get a piece of paper and your hr monitor and write down the rates as they appear on the watch. I guess I should have mentioned that you should set your watch for the smallest intervals it will record at.
Now what you will be looking for in those written down numbers is where the hr gradually increases and then gets temporarily stuck . Meaning where your hr doesn't increase consistently with the workload.
Example .... 155bpm -30mph, 160- 32mph, 169-34mph, 170bpm-36, 171-38mph, 177-40mph, 172-42 mph and so on. I guess a better way of putting it is that you should see a little flat spot.
I use this method for running on a tread mill and it works great. This combined with a true max hr test and your resting heart rate is a very good indicator of how your training is going.
I'm not sure if you have ever done a proper max hr test before but if not then your hr monitor isn't being used properly. The 220- your age is about as out to lunch as a random guess.
Type in "conconi" to your search engine and there will be more clarity.

Dallas "don't forget the max hr test" Sigurdur
and now that I think of it you could always use the "if you cannot hold a conversation your going to fast" method.

·
Registered
170 Posts
another test that I've read in VeloNews is to warm up for 10 minutes, then do a 30 minute time trial on a flat or slightly inclined road. Take your average heart rate for the last 20 minutes of that time trial and you'll be very close to what your LT is.

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
when I do a VO2max test, the trainer also shows me where my LT is....Seem to recall it is similar to dmsigurdur post.

if you look for old post from MTBdoc, i think he associates LT with wattage. Can't quite remember. I know the trainer also records wattage along with my HR.

·
Dirt Whore
297 Posts
ketchd said:
another test that I've read in VeloNews is to warm up for 10 minutes, then do a 30 minute time trial on a flat or slightly inclined road. Take your average heart rate for the last 20 minutes of that time trial and you'll be very close to what your LT is.
Yeah, also published in the Joe Friel books. Can you do this on a trainer? I ask because there are no flats by me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.