Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
It's a Turner!
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back when I started singlespeeding one of my favorite places to go was Laguna Coast Wilderness Park. There's no warm up before you start a serious ~2 mile climb up to the top, and the climb starts out steep and then becomes more gradual. The first couple of times I got sick at the top, but then I was ok. Then someone told me that it's bad for your heart if you don't warm up.

So now I am worried I did damage to my heart. I don't wear a heart rate monitor when mountain biking, but I know that on the road I can sustain 20mph and my heart rate hovers around 150bpm. I think my max is 186bpm and it's very hard for me to get to that point.

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
mmmmm Cookies!

Cookies and warm milk would certainly give you the right proportion of carbs/fats/protein for such a jaunt!

Seriously though......your heart and lungs were designed for stuff like that. It's your other musculature that suffers from improper "warm up".....makes your quads and other supportive muscles and connective tissue suffer, but your heart will be just fine!

Just LISTEN to your body during those first few miles, and things'll be great.

I'm just a licensed Respiratory Therapist, and an recreational Cardiologist/Gynecologist....so take my advice with a grain of salt......my forty four year old heart just keeps tickin' along.

·
Registered
338 Posts
You can tell when your heart and lungs are "red lining". Just slow down or stop and take a break. But if you have any risk factors for heart trouble or are just concerned, go see your doctor and get it checked out.

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
That first hill is a killer without a warm up

sirbikesalot said:
Back when I started singlespeeding one of my favorite places to go was Laguna Coast Wilderness Park. There's no warm up before you start a serious ~2 mile climb up to the top, and the climb starts out steep and then becomes more gradual. The first couple of times I got sick at the top, but then I was ok. Then someone told me that it's bad for your heart if you don't warm up.

So now I am worried I did damage to my heart. I don't wear a heart rate monitor when mountain biking, but I know that on the road I can sustain 20mph and my heart rate hovers around 150bpm. I think my max is 186bpm and it's very hard for me to get to that point.
by the time I hit it I usually have an hour of riding in.
But if you live far away or you don't want to ride all the way from your house, just park a few miles away from the trail.

If only I could find a way to ride to San Juan Trail head with out having to ride on Ortega Highway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.