Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volunteers needed for trail maintenance at the La Costa Preserve trails on Saturday, January 10th, at 8AM. Work first, then ride! This is always a fun work & ride event. The details should appear soon on the SDMBA website, with RSVP instructions there.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Many Thanks Old Dog Dan

To All my riding friends and neighbors you need to make this trail day. Usage of this little gem has gone ballistic, not only because it happens to be the funnest trail around but due to the closure of Tunnels there is one less place to ride. And a good place at that. So the numbers of riders is up way up. It will probably stay up so a very serious push to expand the trail network is needed. CNLM manages this hill and the one south of us too. I have written the parties at CNLM advising them of the events and that we need to expand our trail opportunities by enhancing the connectivity between open spaces.

One issue that is going to rear it's head is the parking situation. It has reached epic proportions and the local residents are holding their breath but for how long. Today I saw some guy just run up to a residence and start using their hose. If you were a woman home alone with kids, and that house has kids, and some stranger is outside helping himself to your hose what would you think??

So as innocent as it was it is that sort of thing that will soon have us out of there. We need a non-residential staging area. And there is one!!! It is over by the abandoned dump. The big problem is the only way back to the trails is by way of that ugly ugly fireroad. The fireroad is so hideous and qualifies as the most dangerous downhill around. BUT if there were a singletrack it would be a no brainer to set up over there ride up the hill then on the west side do one trail down and the other up creating a big loop. Plus being over on that side we could tie in the trail going up the hill to the south and if you had the time you could ride to Elfin and back.

This idea needs to discussed at the end of the trail day. We need to do this because this little gem will get loved to death, it is being loved to death. So lets ante up some of our time and for a couple of hours show your love. How convenient to have this trail in our backyard ! Help keep this really fun and healthy trail up to it's potential and help show the land managers we are stewards as well as riders.

Again Trail Day is 1/10/09 8:00am at Corte Romero and Camino Junipero. Shwag and burritos await.
Thanks Rich

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rich,
That's a great idea for a staging area and way better than previous discussions of the nearby dead-end street. Thank you once again for organizing this trailwork day, nearly single-handedly building these trails, and now working with CNLM, SDMBA & others on linking up islands of open space. The least I can do is help spread the word, pick up a shovel myself, and bring alonga few others. It's a small repayment for hours of fun spent riding there, and downpayment on future access.

·
Registered
98 Posts
taffy15 said:
To All my riding friends and neighbors you need to make this trail day. Usage of this little gem has gone ballistic, not only because it happens to be the funnest trail around but due to the closure of Tunnels there is one less place to ride. And a good place at that. So the numbers of riders is up way up. It will probably stay up so a very serious push to expand the trail network is needed. CNLM manages this hill and the one south of us too. I have written the parties at CNLM advising them of the events and that we need to expand our trail opportunities by enhancing the connectivity between open spaces.

One issue that is going to rear it's head is the parking situation. It has reached epic proportions and the local residents are holding their breath but for how long. Today I saw some guy just run up to a residence and start using their hose. If you were a woman home alone with kids, and that house has kids, and some stranger is outside helping himself to your hose what would you think??

So as innocent as it was it is that sort of thing that will soon have us out of there. We need a non-residential staging area. And there is one!!! It is over by the abandoned dump. The big problem is the only way back to the trails is by way of that ugly ugly fireroad. The fireroad is so hideous and qualifies as the most dangerous downhill around. BUT if there were a singletrack it would be a no brainer to set up over there ride up the hill then on the west side do one trail down and the other up creating a big loop. Plus being over on that side we could tie in the trail going up the hill to the south and if you had the time you could ride to Elfin and back.

This idea needs to discussed at the end of the trail day. We need to do this because this little gem will get loved to death, it is being loved to death. So lets ante up some of our time and for a couple of hours show your love. How convenient to have this trail in our backyard ! Help keep this really fun and healthy trail up to it's potential and help show the land managers we are stewards as well as riders.

Again Trail Day is 1/10/09 8:00am at Corte Romero and Camino Junipero. Shwag and burritos await.
Thanks Rich
I was there today as well between 12 and 3. I've never seen so many people on the trail at the same time. By the time I left there were ~10-12 cars parked at the bottom. Unfortunately I am out of town on the 10th or I would be there. I really appreciate this trail and love that it is so much fun. I would hate to see it shut down.

Rich - thank you for all you do there and hope it works out to be expanded. If so, please post up the work days. I also get the emails from SDMBA so I will be on the look out for more work days there.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think the staging area near the abandoned dump is a fantastic idea. It's likely that people coming from the West may not like to drive around ... but anyone coming from North or East might even prefer it.

I plan on being there the 10th - thanks so much to EVERYONE who has worked to make these trails what they are. Rich, I appreciate so much your vision for continued responsible expansion and use of these open space areas.

·
"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
1,317 Posts
taffy15 said:
he big problem is the only way back to the trails is by way of that ugly ugly fireroad. The fireroad is so hideous and qualifies as the most dangerous downhill around. BUT if there were a singletrack it would be a no brainer to set up over there ride up the hill then on the west side do one trail down and the other up creating a big loop.
I'm all in favor of creating a ST on the North side of the hill. i work in the valley over there so when i get out at lunch I have to take the road up to the South side trailhead(s). I do occasionally climb the fireroad for variety but it's definately not high on the fun list. having a ST on the North side would provide much more variety and the ability to create different loops or options in a pretty small space without a whole lot of doubling back.

I can't make the trail day though as it's my son's third B-day that day. I'll make the next one.

Thanks for the work you are putting in Rich.

Michael

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Additional Trail Work Details

Date: December 21, 2008 9:28:43 AM PST
Subject: La Costa Trail Day

Dear Trail Volunteers

Jan. 10th we are meeting at 8:00 am for four hours of much needed trail maintenance on the very heavily used Switchbacks.

Our job will be to:

1) Eliminate as many of the social trails as we can. The idea is show the mountain as small a footprint as possible. We will attempt to replant native cacti, repair fence and other methods to discourage social (trail cutting) trails.

2) Fill in brake ruts that have broken trail tread encourage erosion and fill with water.

3) Create water bars , grade dips,& nicks. The trail was built long ago with very little water management incorporated. Today the lack of water management is the trails worst enemy.

4) Repair the many in slope turns ( berms ) due to water damage. See above.

5) Repair sections of the trail that have been blown out and the trail has severely widened.
Work crews will be created so you will be with someone that has an idea of what strategy is best suited for the job.

We will meet at the above time at the semi cul de sac of Corte Romero and Camino Junipero.

From the 5 take Leucadia Blvd east, cross El Camino, it turns into Olivenhain Rd then turns into Rancho Santa Fe Rd. Going east on Rancho you will see the hill on your right.
Before the road crests the top turn right at the light, Camino Junipero. Corte Romero is the first left.

From the 78 take either Ranch Santa Fe west or take San Marcos Blvd west to Rancho Santa Fe and turn left. You go past Lake San Marcos and San Elijo Rd,( the turn off to Elfin Forest). You go up the hill and you will see the big green water tank on your left. That is our mountain. Camino Junipero is at the top and turn left at the signal. Take the first left at Corte Romero.

Don't forget sun glasses, water, a hat and gloves. All tools will be provided.

Any inquiries and RSVP ,so we have enough tools, to [email protected]

·
Registered
253 Posts
Had To See It To Believe It

Just when I thought the guy getting water off the hose from someone's house was a good one yesterday afternoon I witnessed a true classic.

Coming down on Vista Del Mar was a lady on a HORSE WITH A MULE IN TOW AND A DOG.(no leashes on mule or dog) One switchback up is a rider. The lady's horse was having a definite hard time with the narrow singletrack and I was thinking what is she going to do if a hiker or rider is coming up the trail? Meanwhile the rider coming down behind her is gaining and has a "bear bell".

He finally catches up as her horse is getting more agitated by the constant narrowness. Remember she is also in charge of a mule and dog. I watch as this rider does all the correct things. He has a bear BELL, he STOPS, he gets OFF his bike, he HAILS her,and by now you can see her starting to lose it. She ends up chewing him out for having the bear bell. You can't win! One minute you are the silent scourge of the trail and the next you are the noisy clanking insensitive habitat threat.

You can't win! Here she is having made a terrible decision with three animals (two of which are very large) and has them on a very very busy small narrow singletrack. The rider does everything right and he is still wrong. Then after he finally got by she and the horse and the mule and the dog left the trail and blazed a new line right through the sage straight down the face of the mtn. Last I heard that was the same environmentally sensitive coastal sage that we can never build singletrack through. But I guess when you do that sort of thing on a horse with a mule and a dog it is "natural".

Had I been thinking I would have put the whole thing on my camera phone and sent it to Marvin Gerst and the clan at the Clews Ranch.https://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/eek.gif

·
Registered
106 Posts
Postholes and Poop

I must have been heading up VDM just after she got off the trail yesterday because I noticed fresh post holes and one pile of steaming horse poop. The tread was nice and tacky for MTB tires, but stood no chance against a hoof supporting a 1000 lb animal. Horses and mules at La Costa, WTF? Just when you thought you'd seen it all.

·
Banned
35 Posts
our group will for sure be there! It's great to see that its possible to have actuall quality dh trails in carlsbad. We understand the need to be respectful also...and as for the parking change...I'm not exactly sure where the "dump" is..could you let us know? Also I was wondering if the fireroad has truck access for possible shuttling to the top of the "drop down" trail...thanks to whoever built these trails...we would be screwed without them. The only suggestion I have is that the berms be taller on the drop down trail...we're willing to put in hours upon hours in order to make this trail an awesome DH run without a bunch of tree huggers waiting for one excuse to kick us out! Thanks a bunch and don't use short cuts or the trails will be shut down!

·
"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
1,317 Posts
calaverafreeriders said:
oh and why are you crying about someone getting water from a hose...get a job or something
Next time I'm in your neighborhood, I'm just going to hang out in your backyard for a bit and use your BBQ. is it okay if I invite some friends over too? we won't bother you too much.

YR

·
No dabs.
320 Posts
Yeti_Rider said:
Next time I'm in your neighborhood, I'm just going to hang out in your backyard for a bit and use your BBQ. is it okay if I invite some friends over too? we won't bother you too much.

YR
I'm sure he'll be totally cool with it. But he's requested that while you BBQ, leave both your truck doors open with your gear littering the road while pumping Tool/Rage/Slipknot as loud as the speakers can handle. :rolleyes:

And Denk Mountain must be, what, 500 feet high? We better build a lift so people can get to the top.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I guess we know who borrowed the hose!...but let's not get carried away arguing with each other, being sarcastic or griping about equestrians. The fact is, as seen painfully at LPQ, but successfully so far at La Costa, we have to share space and respect with other open space users, and neighbors.

CalaveraFreeRider guys, please do come to the trail work day to meet and work with some of the people who built and manage the trails. I know by the other thread you guys are passionate about riding -- well, wait til you meet Rich, you'll see passion.

This land is owned and managed by Center for Natural Lands Management as a habitat preserve, so we will not get to drive shuttle trucks to the top. However, by helping them to revegetate old jeep roads and close erosion-causing trails to protect the habitat, they let us create and enhance bike trails.

It's called a win-win situation. But we gotta show each other some respect. Show up, talk, learn, work,...ride!

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Was up on the trails last week, noticed some recent trail work on disneyland and switchback done after the rains to help with the drainage and the lack of perma tracks in the hardened mud which was nice to see. But wondering if the new kickers and small gap jump on Nascar were sanctioned.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sanction

Sanction is a loaded word. The answer is no. I am trying to get in touch with the NASCAR group and do some work up there together. Things like kickers and other elements that can blend in or perform some kind of functional role can be worked in. A gap jump? Usually they are frowned on because of the high consequence for failure. That is why the same line with a table top is something that flies. I have been busy on the more used parts of the trail and have yet to get started on NASCAR. But I will. I just did some work on the mud hole between the small jumps on the bottom. If I get a response from any of the users together we could work our way down NASCAR and make sure everything will pass inspection by CNLM. The most important rule to adhere to is to keep impact down. Stay on the trail keep things natural keep singletrack single. NASCAR works and is allowed to be NASCAR because it is DH specific and everyone knows that. So user conflict is very minimal if at all. NASCAR has only one trail head at the top and that acts as a filter because only experienced riders will bother to get up there. I only wish someone hadn't torn the double black diamond and skull and cross bones off the entry point. Signage is one of the most powerful forms of risk management along with the location of the trail head and the fact that it is unidirectional (one way-down).

Then there is the undisputed fact that it's existence meets the desires for that style of riding and has actually contributed to the cessation of illegal trail building. We can and do point to the success of La Costa as an example of how a good trail design can help manage an open space. In days of old there were illegal lines going up everywhere and today we have a very heavily used trail network that has contributed to stabilizing the area.

What a contrast compared to Calaveras that currently has no leadership. CNLM has taken the time to partner up with us and it is paying off. It isn't perfect but is a huge improvement over the past. I hope we can build on the relationship we have with CNLM and get a new staging area on the other side of the hill with no residential influence. Turn up the volume you won't bother anyone. But that will work if we can get a singletrack connection.

·
Banned
35 Posts
Thanks old dog dan...we did use the hose...but we're sorry we didnt think it was such a big deal, But now we know. As for those other sarcastic guys...we just want to ride and have fun...I guess those guys are a little too into poking fun at people. Is it ok if we work on the berms on the drop down trail on the tenth? I totally ate it the other day cause I trusted a berm that was way too small. Rather than having to slow down I would prefer making the berms a little safer.

·
Banned
35 Posts
Oh and I respectively disagree with taffy15 about gap jumps. They do have a large consequence for failure...but that step up on drop down is epic. I would like to see more gap jumps...if someone doesn't want to hit them...just go around..just an Idea..thanks Oh and the reason for the next three post is that I got mad and said somethings I souldnt have said...so I deleted them. But just to sum it up: Skeej I hope you're happy that we have to be scared to ride at calavera now. La costa is our new home.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.