Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Aqua,
Loved the pics, they captured the spirit of the day! ...A sizable turnout....good vibes..
..a good morning's work....a nifty raffle....and a great ride to top it off! ( I shouldn't have
eaten that salami + cheese sandwich right before the ride though!)
Thanks,
George Wongspeed

·
Registered
38 Posts
Absolutely beautiful work up there everyone! I live and ride in the area and am continually impressed with the work on and off the trails that you have accomplished. Many thanks for some outstanding trailwork!

As a frequent trail user, how can I help? Meetings and trail days do not always fit into my family/work schedule, but I'd like to pitch in somehow.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I wasn't able to attend the work day, so thank you for the new trail Great Work! I rode it for the first time yesterday and was very impressed! The only effect of the rains was to increase traction and keep the dust down. Everything drained great without rutting. Riding up I thought 'this trail was designed to be climbed'. On the way down I thought 'this trail was designed for the descent'. It was like one of those reversible ski jackets that fits great and both sides look great. Going up the Swithbacks, down the double diamond, up and back the new trail makes for a great lunch workout but that is so much fun/challenging that it doesn't feel like a workout at all.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Double Your Pleasure

A trail that is fun both ways is a goal I try to achieve in a trail. Especially if the trail is in a small area because now one trail gives you more options and length. Building in every opportunity for water to be shed and watching the amount and degree of continuous fall line
are key to minimizing water's desrtuctive effect and helping a trail dry out. THE PHILOSOPHY IS "LETS KEEP SINGLETRACK SINGLE"

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yep, it's a twofer....two trails for the price of one. I remember back in the day right after the fire there, Randy R and some guys who lived above Stagecoach Park made the rough switchbacks. At first it was off camber and pretty scrabbley. One steep trail was called "Ash Wednesday" for the 8" of ash/soot you slid down on the backside (of the mountain and in my case my own). It was a behind the saddle (un)controlled slide. The trail has kept evolving over the years with the downhillers adding their touches. Kudos to Taffy for the political savvy, planning and implementation to get everything legit and legal while not turning it into a paved bike path. Thanks again to Taffy and all who did the original trail, improved it over the years and the volunteers on Trail Day.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeah I know this is an old thread, but I just rode this for the first time today, and all I can say is WOW! Coming from Chula Vista, most of my riding is Otay Lake, Sweetwater, and Hollenbeck Canyon, and none of them have anything this technical. Huge thanks to everyone who made this trail what it is.

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
Many thanks to taffy15 for this one!

·
Registered
613 Posts
one thing I would love to hear about

is how the whole thing at las costa came to be.

I remember riding there years ago and there was some debate about a lady who owned land, would call cops, so on and so forth.

The place is awesome riding now and should somehow be used as an example of how to get trails built (all the way down to the chickenwire on the switchbacks.

Anyone want to pipe up about the process with land managers, city reps etc on how this all took place?

I ride up there then I ride M.T and all I can think of is the miles and miles of hills that could have kick arse switchback trails built, if only a thumbs up were given.

How did the la costa/carlsbad folks swing this whole deal and could it be used as an example for the city land managers, rangers etc?

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Downhillers suck ballz

I just rode there for the first time in a while, noticed the "new" trail the downhillers have cut straight up Switchback trail cutting all the switchbacks. Starts pretty much from the street to the top, wtf.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Don't be so quick to judge

I thought it was downhillers at one point too. But as I was working there I began to notice hikers and runners and dog walkers were the culprits. DHERS have the way more interesting DBL Black Diamond run. Mtn Bike Bill and I confronted hikers and runners one day and they are clueless. Their response was "What am I hurting?" I have had many shouting matches with hikers about cutting the trail. You wouldn't believe the array of people, young through old, the whole spectrum. I proposed split rail fence to Markus of CNLM but didn't get him interested. That would be much better then metal fence posts and wire.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yep, yep, it's local residents on foot and the occasional young rider out with the family. I ride here quite often as it's in my backyard and most folks I've spoken with on the trails just don't understand that they are doing anything wrong. In fact, they are confused as to why they need to stay on the switchback trail when they could just shoot straight up the hill as they used to before Taffy's handiwork. Unfortunately, when those cheater trails widen enough, new riders to the trail system mistake them for an existing route and ride it as well, exacerbating the issue.

Education is key, and yelling at abusers when encountering them does not help. Signs at the trailheads stating why it's important to stay on the trail could really help the matter. Also, maybe an educational overview at the top kiosk explaining why we should stay on the marked trails only: bio-sensitivity, eco-consciousness, etc... basically guilt them into being responsible trail users. Bad hikers, bad...

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
taffy15 said:
I thought it was downhillers at one point too. But as I was working there I began to notice hikers and runners and dog walkers were the culprits. DHERS have the way more interesting DBL Black Diamond run. Mtn Bike Bill and I confronted hikers and runners one day and they are clueless. Their response was "What am I hurting?" I have had many shouting matches with hikers about cutting the trail. You wouldn't believe the array of people, young through old, the whole spectrum...
Yup, some folks don't understand, and others just don't care. I think it is regrettable, but you have to manage with the "don't care" folks in mind, because education only works for for the folks who don't understand and will respond to education. Fences and landscaping with thorny bushes have to be in your tool bag, along with the educational signage.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
It was a group of 5 dh'rs I saw pushing up the trail. I started to say something to the first guy but He just kept walking past me

·
Registered
151 Posts
youre not talking about the mule deer trail are you, cause that is a posted trail last time i looked. that does cut across the switchback trail a couple of times, and really if you want to go up or down it, it doesnt seem like a big deal as its pretty wide. and steep.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts