Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Elfin-La Costa Connector

bjammin said:
Bill, what's the next step to reclaiming the C to D portion of the trail. Should we discuss this with the proper management bodies?
Mtn Bike Bill and myself had a more then meaningful meeting with the lead ranger. We went over the maps and looked at the reality and the reality is we are now going to put the boots to the ground. As soon as it stops raining we will march it off and present the route to the lead ranger at our next meeting. Meanwhile he is presenting this proposal to his higher ups. If this goes this area will suddenly have it's first EPIC ride. Having Bill along is like bringing a live satellite feed. He's got the friggen place memorized. The ranger said their mission statement is to link up Elfin with as many other open spaces as possible. Their biggest obstacle is they lack the manpower to work anything more then what they already have. Well thank God for a mission statement like that and SDMBA, you just got more on your plate. Having more food on your plate is actually a good problem.

·
"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
1,317 Posts
taffy15 said:
Having Bill along is like bringing a live satellite feed. He's got the friggen place memorized.
You're best bet is to let Bill do all of the scouting before EVER going along with him on a ride. Otherwise you'll end up hearing things like "I heard about this awesome downhill out this way, I checked the map and there's a fireroad at the bottom of it!". Only to find out that the fireroad can only be found after slogging through a stream over wet granite boulders in cycling shows for 1/4 mile while trying to find anything that looks like a trail. then, when you finally do find the trail, you realize that it is way to frigging steep to ride so you have to push up the hill in wet cycling shoes for at least a mile before you FINALLY find the frigging fireroad. So, yes, there was in fact a fireroad somewhere in the general vicinity of hte bottom of the downhill............

or so I've heard anyway!

YR

·
Its only 1" on the map!
1,160 Posts
Yeti_Rider said:
You're best bet is to let Bill do all of the scouting before EVER going along with him on a ride. Otherwise you'll end up hearing things like "I heard about this awesome downhill out this way, I checked the map and there's a fireroad at the bottom of it!". Only to find out that the fireroad can only be found after slogging through a stream over wet granite boulders in cycling shows for 1/4 mile while trying to find anything that looks like a trail. then, when you finally do find the trail, you realize that it is way to frigging steep to ride so you have to push up the hill in wet cycling shoes for at least a mile before you FINALLY find the frigging fireroad. So, yes, there was in fact a fireroad somewhere in the general vicinity of hte bottom of the downhill............

or so I've heard anyway!

YR
Details, Details. Thank you! It warms my heart to know that even after fours years , you still have "fond" memories of that ride.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Bush Wacking

Yeti_Rider said:

or so I've heard anyway!

YR
I have been on rides like that where mutinous behavior resides just under the skin because the ride is being led by Lewis & Clark. But for what we are going to do what you are describing is what I want. When you are crawling through scratchy,thorny, dirty, thick, snake and tick prone chaparral you can't see through you need someone with an attitude like Bill's. If he doesn't think "It's just over the hill" when you are slogging through stuff you can't see five feet ahead of yourself you won't make it. So his unbridled optimism in the brush is great. Even with it it will be a biatch without it we would give up.

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
taffy15 said:
I have been on rides like that where mutinous behavior resides just under the skin because the ride is being led by Lewis & Clark. But for what we are going to do what you are describing is what I want. When you are crawling through scratchy,thorny, dirty, thick, snake and tick prone chaparral you can't see through you need someone with an attitude like Bill's. If he doesn't think "It's just over the hill" when you are slogging through stuff you can't see five feet ahead of yourself you won't make it. So his unbridled optimism in the brush is great. Even with it it will be a biatch without it we would give up.
I tried that once. Poison oak is a biatch!

·
1,317 Posts
bill was smart enough to stay about 100 yards ahead of the rest of us on the hike-a-bike. I think he knew we were all plotting against him! We decided that if we got stranded we weren't going to wait until he died before we ate him! fortunately for him he did manage to blindly stumble across the fireroad..................

YR

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Attention Bill

Yeti_Rider said:
bill was smart enough to stay about 100 yards ahead of the rest of us on the hike-a-bike. I think he knew we were all plotting against him! We decided that if we got stranded we weren't going to wait until he died before we ate him! fortunately for him he did manage to blindly stumble across the fireroad..................

YR
Bill If you are following this thread then would you please leave me the maps you have of the area we want to explore. It sounds like you could end up as sausage or chorizo in some buritto.:eek:

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
Next Saturday.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Trail Day at La Costa

Saturday is just about on us. Remember to be there and help break in all the trail heads on the new trail as it crosses over the old trail. I hope to request replacing other trails that maybe too steep rutting and just deteriorating. Replace with sustainable singletrack and just plain make them more fun. Hope everyone thinks the new trail is more fun. I have just started to ride it and I have a smile on my face everytime. I am just bummed when it is over. I invited the ranger from Elfin and we will have the CNLM managers there so a couple of the puzzle peices needed for a connector trail will be there. I also plan to announce my effort to build a bike skills park in Carlsbad and maybe a trail system coming off it. I will need to address it to Carlsbad residents specifically. Anyone out there have a rock/pry bar? I need to move a couple of gigantic rocks to make an obstacle to ride. PM me.

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
24 hours away.

·
1,317 Posts
Unfortunately, it looks like I'm not going to make it tomorrow. My in-laws decided to come visit the grandkids mid week so the wife has re prioritized my weekend..........

I'll definitely be at the next one.

YR

·
Its only 1" on the map!
1,160 Posts
Yeti_Rider said:
Unfortunately, it looks like I'm not going to make it tomorrow. My in-laws decided to come visit the grandkids mid week so the wife has re prioritized my weekend..........

I'll definitely be at the next one.

YR
Whhhhuuuuuppppped! Come on at least make up a good excuse and entertain us. Maybe something like my wife is out of town and I have some strange lined up at Ron's Notell Motel all weekend. Oh yeah, and he is hot! That would be acceptable, but in-laws....:confused:

C-ya next time.:)

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
Easy or Hard?
Trail day was a success! "Vista Del Mar Trail" lookin' good!
Huge turnout!

Attachments

41 - 60 of 77 Posts