Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
I ride a Bruja, and one of the guys i ride with used to ride a Chap (earlier model before the most recent re-design--the newer Chap seems to have a rocker pivot passing through the seat tube, apparently limiting saddle height adjustment w/o a telescoping post :nono: ). Both are very stiff,plush, and "climbable," and both set up really well with a 6 or 7 inch fork. The layout is pretty similar, though the Chap has a shorter wheelbase and more standover (@ med size), either/both of which might be important to you. The Chap is also considerably heavier, but not as reliable as the Bruja. You might consider a Stinky dlx frame rather than a Chap if you need 7" rear travel. Stinky frames are pretty tough and not too spendy at places like wheel world. Otherwise, you could easily put a 7" fork on the Bruja and send the Vanilla RC to Push to get seven-inch-like plushness in the rear. My Pushed RC with the new bottom-out bumper is stupid plush and still goes over 6' to flat w/o bottoming.

Though the Chap is generally tough, it has a couple of weaknesses you wouldn't likely expect. First, the derailleur hanger is extraordinarily weak; it doesn't bend, but snaps like a dry twig. My friend went through about one a month while he owned the bike. I think you'd want to run a Saint/Hone setup to bypass the derailleur hanger altogether. By contrast, the Bruja has obscenely thick replaceable/adjustable dropouts. Second, the Chap uses a rather light-gauge and seemingly brittle down tube to lighten the bike, and it dents surprisingly easily. One of the dents in the bottom's of the down tube on my friend's Chap developed into nice wide crack, particularly odd since it wasn't near a weld. Banshee wasn't forthcoming with warranty help (fair enough), but, OTOH, Sherwood is keenly interested and consistently fair when it comes to resolving problems involving his bikes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice. thanks for the feedback. I'm really interested in trying the new chap as they revised the geometry to be more like the Scream. They're hard to find though so I'm working on a local shop that might have one in soon. My two buddies ride Bruja's and they love them, as do I, I'm just wondering if the chap is going to be a better bike for the drops I like doing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.