Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
hipneck
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to get any info from all the L/XL Trance riders that I can. How tall are you? What is your cycling inseam? How much seatpost is showing ? (saddle rails to frame) What is your cockpit length? ( effective top tube+stem+ post offset). Also whats your center of crank to top of saddle measure? (along seattube) Im 6' 1 3/4" barefoot, my cycling inseam is 36.25, cockpit on my last bike was 29". Deciding between L /XL and Im leaning hard toward the XL but with a straight seatpost. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
John S said:
Would like to get any info from all the L/XL Trance riders that I can. How tall are you? What is your cycling inseam? How much seatpost is showing ? (saddle rails to frame) What is your cockpit length? ( effective top tube+stem+ post offset). Also whats your center of crank to top of saddle measure? (along seattube) Im 6' 1 3/4" barefoot, my cycling inseam is 36.25, cockpit on my last bike was 29". Deciding between L /XL and Im leaning hard toward the XL but with a straight seatpost. Thanks
OK here's my info... I ride an XL Trance3, barefoot I am 6' 2 1/4" and have a 35 3/4" inseam. (36.5" w/ riding shoes on). The effective cockpit length using a Easton EA50 post and 100mm 7 degree stem is 30.75" (comes stock w/ a 120mm 6 degree stem and I cut the steerer tube 5m shorter than stock) 32" from top of saddle to BB and 39.25" top of saddle to center hole of pedal (175mm cranks) 7 3/4" of seatpost showing. Standover is 36.5" where the brace for the seattube comes off the TT. Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
20" vs. 22"

I've been there Dude!! :)
I'm 6'2", 250 lbs (with long legs). I started from 20" and I was positive that this would be my size. I tested Trance 4 size 20" and was great. I found dealer with Trance 2 but have only size 22". I test ride this one and... surprisingly feel better than 20"!
I started checking all geometry, measured my existing bike length and compare to Trance geometry, asking my friends, get measurement from salesmen's in LBS... :confused:
Then I got lucky, found dealer who have Trance 4 in both 20" and 22" size. Next day I test ride on parking lot both for about 30 minutes to find that 22" is my size for sure.
You have to try it to see which one feel better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Which sizes?

I am really confused about the Trance sizing...

MEAK: When you are talking about the 22'', is this then the largest size availiable?

- Best regards
Olle
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
XL = 22"

Dude, you really have to ride to decide.
Trance is selling in: 14.5, 16, 18, 20 and 22 inches.
I assume that this will equal: XS, S, M, L and XL size.
And yes, 22" is the largest size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Giant sizing

Giant measures centre to centre, instead of the industry norm of centre to top. I'm 5'10" witha 34" inseam and ride a 20" giant frame. The odd measuring throws people off sometimes, who end up riding a size smaller than they should because of the way they're measured.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam. I've got a 22" Trance Advanced set up with a raceface set back post, 120mm stem and 180mm cranks. My raceface riser bar is level with my saddle. I find it's super comfy to ride and to throw around. I diddn't really need the 22" seat tube but the 24.75 top tube is a must. Heck my post only just out about 4" from the top of the clamp I even had to chop off 3" off to get it down far enough. My riding position is pretty good but I'm not really impressed with the bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
Youch.......

........that's an expensive test :madman: What don't you like about it? Is it the Trance itself or the Carbon Advanced bit? Suspension not up to what you expected????

bikesinmud said:
I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam. I've got a 22" Trance Advanced set up with a raceface set back post, 120mm stem and 180mm cranks. My raceface riser bar is level with my saddle. I find it's super comfy to ride and to throw around. I diddn't really need the 22" seat tube but the 24.75 top tube is a must. Heck my post only just out about 4" from the top of the clamp I even had to chop off 3" off to get it down far enough. My riding position is pretty good but I'm not really impressed with the bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
LyNx said:
........that's an expensive test :madman: What don't you like about it? Is it the Trance itself or the Carbon Advanced bit? Suspension not up to what you expected????[/QUOTE

Maybe I'm being fussy, but at that price the bike should be flawless. With the XTR you have to take off the rear skewer nut or back it off completely to remove the rear wheel. The cable routing is to tight from the front triangle to the rear, it ghost shifts through the travel they should have come down from the top tube somehow. I'm looking into running a full length rear derraileur housing. RP23 lever takes quite a reach under the water bottle to flip on and off, in a race situation this won't be fun, because I find that it does bob a lot when hammering while seated and the RP23 is off. It does make a pretty good trail bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
Post a pic of it

Post a pic of the Advanced for us to see. Is the cable routing different than the normal Alu version? I think that's why you don't see too many of these here, just the Alu ones, where you won't feel as bad if you have any problems. You should be able to sort this stuff out though :confused: some of us had troubles initially with our Trances shifting etc and got them worked out.

bikesinmud said:
LyNx said:
........that's an expensive test :madman: What don't you like about it? Is it the Trance itself or the Carbon Advanced bit? Suspension not up to what you expected????[/QUOTE

Maybe I'm being fussy, but at that price the bike should be flawless. With the XTR you have to take off the rear skewer nut or back it off completely to remove the rear wheel. The cable routing is to tight from the front triangle to the rear, it ghost shifts through the travel they should have come down from the top tube somehow. I'm looking into running a full length rear derraileur housing. RP23 lever takes quite a reach under the water bottle to flip on and off, in a race situation this won't be fun, because I find that it does bob a lot when hammering while seated and the RP23 is off. It does make a pretty good trail bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
Wow.........

........it sure does look purdy :thumbsup: all that Carbon wrap an all :D So what'd you do with the new '07 XTR that it came with then if you stripped it off for presumably using the older M960 model? They used the same cable routing as the ReignX design and that a lot of Trance owners have modified their Trance's to have. Oh and you will wrap the bejusus out of the stays in case you get chain slap or the chain get's dropped/sucked - right ?

bikesinmud said:
here's the cable routing, I snapped a few pics before I discarded the stock stuff for the old faithful XTR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
I got rid of the XO, avids and those pitiful crossmaxx wheels in favor of full XTR 970, gave the cranks to my wife and put on my 180's with a ceramic bottom bracket. Under 25lbs with pedals and a bottle cage.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top