Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Destroyer of Worlds
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the problem: My local bikeshop has a Santa Cruz Megatower in XL. At 5'10", I'm in the L range according to their webpage Sizing. However, the actual dimensions of the frames aren't all that different, and I tend to prefer my bikes a little bigger rather than smaller to begin with. I'm fairly beefy for my size at 200+ lbs, so I don't expect the bike to overwhelm me.

I can wait until February for an 'L' frame or I can take a chance on this one. I accept that I am taking a chance, but I'd like to try to quantify how much. I'd appreciate any comments or advice from anyone who has ever ridden or owned a bike that's just bigger than the manufacturer recommends. or anyone who just wants to kibitz. That's fine too. :)

ETA: Almost forgot to mention... if I buy it, I'll have to replace the dropper right away as the factory item can't be adjusted down to my inseam.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Normal Times Response: You're too short for the XL.

Current Response: I'd buy the XL since it's close to your size and you like big bikes (same here) and it's actually available.

Because that February time frame for the L could easily slip a month or two.

A great shop will swap droppers at the time of purchase.

·
Registered
316 Posts
So here's the problem: My local bikeshop has a Santa Cruz Megatower in XL. At 5'10", I'm in the L range according to their webpage Sizing. However, the actual dimensions of the frames aren't all that different, and I tend to prefer my bikes a little bigger rather than smaller to begin with. I'm fairly beefy for my size at 200+ lbs, so I don't expect the bike to overwhelm me.

I can wait until February for an 'L' frame or I can take a chance on this one. I accept that I am taking a chance, but I'd like to try to quantify how much. I'd appreciate any comments or advice from anyone who has ever ridden or owned a bike that's just bigger than the manufacturer recommends. or anyone who just wants to kibitz. That's fine too. :)

ETA: Almost forgot to mention... if I buy it, I'll have to replace the dropper right away as the factory item can't be adjusted down to my inseam.
I'm 5'11", 225lbs, with a 33" inseam, and currently have the sz L Megatower with a 200mm Oneup dropper, 50mm stem, flip chip in H, and short, loving this bike. Previously had a sz L 2021 aluminum Tallboy with flip chip in low.

I tried my friends previous gen Hightower in XL and found that a little too stretched for uphill switchbacks, wheelies, and bunnyhops... YMMV, however maybe a 30mm stem in the XL would help me like it more ...

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
I had a similar situation. I’m 5’8 and recently demoed a Heckler MX in both M and L. When I went back to my LBS the M was sold so I bought the L. Initially it felt a little big and I was thinking of trading in for an M at another bike shop. But now I’m getting used to it and it feels pretty great. When I demoed both Hecklers, the thing I preferred about the large is the feel of being “in“ the bike rather than on top of it. If your LBS has one try to give an extended demo ride and see how it fits

·
Destroyer of Worlds
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up finding a Specialized Enduro Expert in Whistler, in an S3 frame size. Another store had a Comp in an S4, but that felt just a bit too big, so I'm happy with the S3. And the Enduro is a similar bike, spec and quality wise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.