Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be in L.A. and should be able to get a ride in on the 20th or 21st. I'm staying in Hollywood by Laurel Canyon so that's my starting point. Are there any decent trails close by? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'll be riding my Heckler trailbike and probably leaving my Bullit in the Bay Area for this trip.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
L.A. Trails

Hey Kirk!

Thanks for the suggestion and the link to the maps. The Santa Monica Mountains are pretty close and it sounds like there is some decent riding there. One of my buddies here in the Bay Area recommends Del Cerro. Have you ridden there? It's in Rancho Palos Verdes. I'm not sure how far that is from where I'll be staying.

I've also seen some nice pics from down in Laguna. I know that is a bit of a drive but it looks like there is some fun riding there.

·
cask conditioned
625 Posts
If you really want to stay local there is a trail network near Laurel Cyn. (Betty B. Dearing s.t., Fryman Cyn, Franklyn Cyn.) You might want to find someone to show you some of the better singlerack there. You'd have fun on the Heckler but it's a bit overkill for there. If you have a lot of time you should ride something like the Rustic Loop in the Santa Monica's...or if you don't mind even more climbing but like the tech-y, you should check out the epic-ish Sam Merrill and Sunset trails in the San Gabriels about a 30 minute drive or so from that part of Hollywood.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Betty B. Dearing etc...

endo verendo said:
If you really want to stay local there is a trail network near Laurel Cyn. (Betty B. Dearing s.t., Fryman Cyn, Franklyn Cyn.) You might want to find someone to show you some of the better singlerack there. You'd have fun on the Heckler but it's a bit overkill for there. If you have a lot of time you should ride something like the Rustic Loop in the Santa Monica's...or if you don't mind even more climbing but like the tech-y, you should check out the epic-ish Sam Merrill and Sunset trails in the San Gabriels about a 30 minute drive or so from that part of Hollywood.
Thanks for the suggestions. The last time I was in L.A. I drove out Mulholland and found the Tree People parking lot where this trail begins. Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to come back with my bike to ride on that trip. It is very close to where I'm staying. I did not realize there was more than one trail up there. I'm basing that on the trail reviews I've read on here. Is it worthwhile or should I plan on driving somewhere better?

·
= dirt torpedo =
1,210 Posts
what kind of riding do you like to do?

my friend and i are doing the J-drop loop starting Saturday at 9am..
moderate pace, we'll be riding heavy bikes, so probably a small amount of walking will be involved

PM or reply if you want to join us

edit: you'll be riding a Heckler, which will be right at home on this ride :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm flexible

blender said:
what kind of riding do you like to do?

my friend and i are doing 'mthe J-drop loop starting Saturday at 9am..
moderate pace, we'll be riding heavy bikes, so probably a small amount of walking will be involved

PM or reply if you want to join us

edit: you'll be riding a Heckler, which will be right at home on this ride :thumbsup:
I have a Heckler built up fairly light for trail riding and a Bullit built up for some hardcore abuse.

As for climbing, I'm slow as molasses in January but do it often here as there are not may shuttle rides available. More than likely the Heckler is the bike I will bring. I can do the same trails on my Heckler that I use my Bullit for but if it is gnarly then the Bullit is my preferred weapon.

Unfortunately, my trip has been postponed and it will be next weekend or perhaps in about a month.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
L.A. Riding

blender said:
drop me a PM when you're coming to town..
Heckler or Bullit, you'll find trails around here to enjoy either one of the bikes.

cheers
Hey Blender! I'll let you know ahead of time before I come down. If you are ever in the Bay Area do the same. We have a good variety of trails here for what ever kind of riding you want.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.