Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Kula 2-9 (Full build pics now)

...people post about their new build and don't have pics yet? I do, but I became that guy after forgetting my camera at the shop.

My Kula 2-9 frame arrived today (thanks Matty @ Kona!), and I could not wait to start the build so I headed into work on the day off to get it started. The frame is awesome, especially given the price (around $650 CDN retail). And it has V-brake mounts. And I think I can get cantis to mount properly (!) even though that won't be an issue for most people.

Frame weight is a hair over 4 lbs for a 19", which is solid considering it runs sliders.

Still waiting for the fork, Karate Monkey in brown which happened to be the only thing the Canadian distributor had hanging around. I figure it will give the bike, ahem, character.

The rest of the build is an exercise in using crap I/the shop had lying around. AC/Open Pro wheelset that was dormant (went to a Campy set up) got poached, swapped the R for an ENO concentric, threw on some wire bead 700/42 Mythos take offs from a Fisher hybrid. Kinda narrow, but dirt cheap and 520g!

RF Turbine ISIS cranks 94 spacing, 38/36 for now to run on a 16/18 Dos Eno set-up, gears will likely get lower for racing though. King HS from my bin, old Ti Syncros post, Flite seat, Deus stem, NOS Scott AT-2 bars, Avid Ultimate 1st gen levers, V chipped, and I have the choice of Tri-Align II cantis or Tri-Align III Vs to throw on. Pink cable housing to round it out. Pedals will be Shimano, my new XTRs if I really like the bike!

I weighed what I had together and think I can get it sub-20. Frame, Crank/Rings/BB, seat/post, HS cups, R brake, both wheels with tires/tubes came in under 15. That leaves freewheel (0.4), KM fork (2.5), bar/stem/levers/f brake (~1), cables/chain (~1), and pedals (0.5).

By the time the season rolls around I hope to have a carbon fork on it (which will probably necessitate a f disc), and Stans 355s/White Ind R/XTR 960 F hub, tubeless.

One question though......we just got some 26" 355s in at the shop and the brake track is NARROW. Anyone have any experience running rim brakes on these things?

Thanks for reading and I will have some pics tomorrow, I promise!

Andrew
www.cycle-solutions.com

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
I just saw the un-built bike and it looks great -- frame is super light too. Can't wait to see it built up... pics please when it is.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pics!

Fork did not come in though so no the build is not finished yet. Decided to swap the crank to XT 760s with a 32/34 ratio. Mostly a chainline issue (not that I have even got the Dos Eno on the wheel yet), but the RF sat way too far out. The XT is close, but I think that I still may need to space the cog out on the hub.

The frame weight is correct in the second pic, the der. hanger was resting on the ground in #1.

Really can't wait to get this thing built and out on the trail!

Andrew

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Show me the V-brake mounts!

And add to that the fact that it is costing me probably half of what the Niner would even if I got it at wholesale, and I quite like riding ugly ecclectic bikes and kicking serious a$$ on them, and a beautiful white fork is always a chunk of sandpaper and can of Tremclad away, and it is already in the mail, and I think I will be riding the KM fork for a loooooong time........

At least until I crack and decide I want suspension.

Andrew

·
Registered
192 Posts
That brown fork could work out pretty well especially if paired with some other brown stuff, maybe grips or saddle. I have a brown explosif and was putting various light/baby blue parts on it with a white on-one fork and they looked really good with the frame. Unfortunately none of the blue parts matched up well so all I've got left right now is the saddle until I want to try some painting.

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
Color , smoler, just ride it like you stole it.

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
Might want to ring up Peter from Misfit as he has a local selection of 29'er parts. Had a few nice light 29" forks at one point too. Drop off a bit of weight over the KM fork.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sweet.

I looked at one at a trade show in the UK a couple of weeks ago and it's a lot better in reality although it was geared and
significantly heavier than 20.5lbs. The colour reminds me of the '05 Kula Primo and is an excellent choice, imo!
My only preference, if you don't mind me saying, would be to ditch the red cable outers
and turquoise bar tape for black.

One other thing .. the frame weight in the first pic was 1674g but in the second 1845 - what changed?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.