Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Kuat NV 2.0 rack for a few years now and it's been a great rack. This week I bought the 2 bike addon to make it a 4 bike rack for when we bring along other people. I love how quick and easy it is to convert from 2 to 4 bike, and then back to a 2 bike rack. Literally takes me less than 5 minutes, and is just 3 bolts.

The problem is, after installing the new 2 bike add-on. I noticed the locks are completely different from the original rack. I'm assuming these new locks are better, they're certainly more weather sealed.

My question is, I want to replace all the lock cores with the same core, so I can just use 1 key for all the locks and the hitch pin. Are the cores still cross compatible between the new locks and the old locks?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Agree with the person above. This is exactly the type of question that Kuat's Customer Service is perfect for.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I emailed Kuat Support ([email protected] ) and they were very quick to respond. Like less than 2 hours after emailing.

They are going to get me sorted out. Superb customer service!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, they are sending me $90 worth of parts. Replacing both my older locks with newer V3 locks and endcaps, and also sending me a new hitch pin lock as well, so they're all up to date and matching. That's awesome customer service. I wasn't expecting that, I was only expecting to get the new lock cores, but I'm guessing they aren't compatible between the old and new locks. Which was my original question, lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How are the new locks more sealed? I live on a gravel road and the locks on my NV 2.0 are basically un-usable at this point from all the dust. I would happily pay to replace the old locks if the new version is sealed well.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The new locks have an entire end cap that goes over the lock core so it's not exposed at all. Words probably can't describe it well, I'll take pictures when I get home to give you a better idea.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are the pictures. As you can see, the the lock itself sits very deep into the tray, then also the lock core sits very deep into a plastic cover. The plastic cover is also pretty tight to pull off and had another recessed detent ring that kind of locks it into place, as you can see on the barrel of the lock core. Dust and water would have to make some ver extreme angles to make it into the lock core, and get past some very tight toleances.

The cable itself also has a rubber seal, so when the cable and lock are recesses into the tray, a magnet holds them in place and dust or water have trouble making it past the seal to get into the lock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts