Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone!

Got it a issue with the new KTM USA warranty... my cousin bought the bike as an ambassador from them in 2017 roughly just shy of 3 years. The bike is full Carbon so it qualifies for a three year factory warranty.. the bike development 2 points that are severe cracks in the frame after less than 300 miles. Side not my cousin has a lot of bikes and this one just sits. Other than the cracks everything on the bike is 100% brand new basically.

they are now saying that the bike was bought as a close out which dates the warranty to manufacture date. The bike was made in 2014 so by that knowledge they sold my cousin a 7k bike with zero warranty. I am still in talks with the one person they have available the US. Yes they only have one person who you can talk to in the US. Last thing I was told was the warranty issue.

We are legit 2 months away from the 3 year warranty window based on date of purchase. My cousin is pissed because this is his main back up bike and KTM isn't responding anymore. We are 100% willing to send the entire bike for them to see it is basically brand new.

I feel like KTM was very misleading in this sale. Do you guys think they should honor the warranty?

Any suggestions? Open to any ideas

Attachments

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
Where is his Proof Of Purchase?

Receipt?

Credit Card Statement?

Did he register it when he got it?

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,876 Posts
post #1 written like a proper Nigerian Scam email

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol but I didn’t offer up my inheritance of 1 trillion for your response. It is a very real ordeal and KTM is just starting to ramp up there US presence and I am looking for help on this or possibly bring light to bad business practices.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 🚲
12,669 Posts
Do you have specific warranty paperwork that states when the warranty start date is? Date of purchase "should" be the start date but if they are claiming something different it would need to be disclosed at the time of purchase.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
The closeout excuse seems like BS to me. Agree with the above post that a warranty/owners booklet would be helpful.

Practical issue: Even if you have evidence to back your side of the claim, you're still stuck in court (hopefully small claims) if they say no.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Another vote for 'the closeout excuse is BS'. This isn't a car, where the warranty starts when it goes 'in service' (which is BS, but that's another topic). If you've got a receipt with a date less than 3 years from now, then it should be covered--plain and simple.

·
CEO Product Failure
2,139 Posts
If I am unable to meet face-to-face with anyone selling (manufacturer, lbs, private owner) me a mtb, then I do not do business with them. Better yet is if you have an established relationship with them. All of my bikes, except the Ventana, are purchased through a LBS. The LBS handles all this BS for me.

The Ventana...I have Sherwood and Teresa's telephone number, we've been FB friends for years, and I've visited them in Sacramento at least twice. Good people.

Long story short: the warranty is only as good as the people behind it.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
Yup, warranty period begins at date of purchase....not when it was manufactured.

Sounds like KTM is not standing behind their product.

If you have a dated receipt, which shows less than 3 years since purchase, you should be covered.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Hey everyone!

Got it a issue with the new KTM USA warranty... my cousin bought the bike as an ambassador from them in 2017 roughly just shy of 3 years. The bike is full Carbon so it qualifies for a three year factory warranty.. the bike development 2 points that are severe cracks in the frame after less than 300 miles. Side not my cousin has a lot of bikes and this one just sits. Other than the cracks everything on the bike is 100% brand new basically.

they are now saying that the bike was bought as a close out which dates the warranty to manufacture date. The bike was made in 2014 so by that knowledge they sold my cousin a 7k bike with zero warranty. I am still in talks with the one person they have available the US. Yes they only have one person who you can talk to in the US. Last thing I was told was the warranty issue.

We are legit 2 months away from the 3 year warranty window based on date of purchase. My cousin is pissed because this is his main back up bike and KTM isn't responding anymore. We are 100% willing to send the entire bike for them to see it is basically brand new.

I feel like KTM was very misleading in this sale. Do you guys think they should honor the warranty?

Any suggestions? Open to any ideas
27.5 Scarp Prestige?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yup how did you guess? They are now starting to ask for dimensions on the bike so I am hoping they are going to back there product and do the right thing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.