Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent a few days riding around Kanwha State Forest (WV) examining what has changed over the winter season... the answer: not much.

In the fall the Superintendent was considering closing-off Ballard (formerly Mystery) Trail to biking traffic due to excessive out-of-trail riding. After the annoucement was made the destruction deminished and right now the trail is still open on a prohibitionay basis.

Middle Ridge Road is becoming a harder ride due to excessive car travel on the road. The short climb after Teaberry Rock Trail is almost completely washed-out, for momentum preservation you should ride on the left side of the trail between Teaberry and Polecat/Ballard. The Middle Ridge Trail system has deepening mud holes at all of its Middle Ridge Road crossings... please be considerate of this and do not expand the puddles. Some are very hard to ride and very easy to endo... beware.

Shrewsbury Hollow ("Pool Hill") is still a tough climb, but got tougher right after Mossy Rock Trail, as a massive wash/mud area has developed on the road. Exercise extreme care coming down from Middle Ridge as the rocks are extremely loose and slippery. There is also a big mud hole at the bottom of Mossy Rock Trail.

The Boundary Ridge side of the Forest is still in superb shape... and the washout on Pigeon Roost Trail has been re-routed well.

As for the condition of Black Bear or Wildcat, I cannot comment... but look for the two to be even nastier this season as the usage makes them "rougher". Davis Creek is how its always been... muddy and washed-out in several places. But a new bridge has been erected at the playground halfway between the Office and the Pool. The field at the front of KSF has been defiled by a car or ATV... quite annoying but not bike-related.

Right now conditions appear to be very dry and gorgeous, with temps ranging from 60 to 80 during the day. The trail are dry and the larger mudholes are finally clearing up. So get out and go ride... you have no excuse not to!

·
Registered
141 Posts
i was up there this week. maybe we need to have a trail day it wouldn't tkae much to fix those mud puddles. i also thought that the middle ridge trail was going to stretch all the way to black bear. what happened? Second what is the best route to take to get to wildcat. i rode it thursday it was in pretty good shape acouple bad mudholes but not much. Lastly i saw a mew trail or at least i thought it wass new on the opposite side of the middle ridge trail at the very beginning. have you seen this?

ksf is one of my favorite and best places to ride since there is nothing here in huntington

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
The new middle ridge trail is supposed to connect to Teaberry I believe, it just hasn't made it yet. I know Steve Marshall has been working on it quite a bit, I'm not sure who all has been helping out.

It seems like everything is in great condition at KSF right now with the exception of middle ridge, that is supposed to change though. I believe the gas company is supposed to gravel the road once they finish up with whatever it is that they are doing. That will suck for a few weeks but once the gravel is packed it will be great.

As for the bear, I'm not sure if it is possible but it actually seems like it is in better condition than it was last year, I'm not really sure how that could be though. I also think that pool is in better condition than last year. There for a while after the flooding that loose section was much worse, the first couple of times I hit it I almost lost it. The only new development on it is what looks to be a little slide starting, there is a hole forming which right now is only about a square foot, just keep an eye out for it. Also watch out for deer on that trail, futurepath actually hit one on it last year. :)

Ballard is in great condition with a couple of new jumps added. The tree crossing the trail down at the bottom has been removed. Teaberry is in great condition as well, unfortunately people have screwed up the rock garden after the first switchback some though by widening the trail to avoid a couple of the sketchy sections. I hate it when I see things like that. Pigeon is just as nice of a climb as it has always been, seems just like it did last year. Pine Ridge is great as well, roots are getting a little worse on the rock drop though.

Mossy is in great condition too. Well, with the exception of some kids hiking it two weekends ago and throwing big sticks and big rocks all over the place. It was kind of funny, I had climbed it about an hour and a half before I went down it and it was in great condition. After I climbed it I went down Ballard then up Middle Ridge. When going down Mossy I saw a family with a bunch of kids hiking the trail. I also saw the kids putting tree branches across the trail. The further down I went the more new "obstacles" I saw. I guess they thought it would be funny to try to crash a rider. Oh well, nothing serious just kids being kids I guess.

Anyway, if you see a guy up there on a blue Superlight with a White Brothers fork give me a yell. Unfortunately won't be there today though, have to go pre-ride Mountwood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.