Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
sapienti sat est
261 Posts
bad experience

I've had nothing but bad experience with Kind Shock. I owned 3 different models: i900 R 125mm, i950 R 125mm and Supernatural R 150mm. All of them failed after some time and turned into suspension post. :) My posts failed 6 times alltogether last year. Eventually I got pissed and got rid of Kind Shock. Now I'm waiting for a new Blacx Jewel to arrive next week.As for the LEV, according to Pinkbike article handlebar trigger and internals remain unchanged.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I've had nothing but bad experience with Kind Shock. I owned 3 different models: i900 R 125mm, i950 R 125mm and Supernatural R 150mm. All of them failed after some time and turned into suspension post. :) My posts failed 6 times alltogether last year. Eventually I got pissed and got rid of Kind Shock. Now I'm waiting for a new Blacx Jewel to arrive next week.As for the LEV, according to Pinkbike article handlebar trigger and internals remain unchanged.
I had the same experience with my KS Supernatural 150 this past year as well. I only use it on terrain where I absolutely need an adjust seatpost, then standard most other times until a reliable 6+" adj. post comes out. $450 for the Lev with KS's unreliable track record, with the their prior 150mm post at least, is kind of whacko, IMO.

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
I saw that story saying the internals are the same but I think that's a mistake. With the new cable position I bet the locking system had to be changed considerably.

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
It's not the locking system that causes problem.
Though my KS has been faultless, every problem I've heard has involved the locking mech. There are 3 parts prone to failing on an adjustable post:
Faulty spring makes it come up too slow or not at all.
Faulty bushings/keys creates slop.
Faulty locking allows post to move up and down.

The LEV may use a similar hydro lock to the 950/900 but it will need a couple significant changes to accomodate the new actuation. In the process I'd expect them to make improvements to whatever was failing. It was supposed to be available now but no updates on what's happening.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It was supposed to be available now but no updates on what's happening.
I spoke to KS USA last week. It should be in stores in 2 weeks.
I am thinking.. :) if the Kronolog lever would be replaceable with the KS one...
What do you think?

The 30.9 & 31.6 125mm version would be available first, end of April. $395.00
Other sizes probably in June.
150mm version $450.00

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
In the past the Jopin and KS remotes wrre interchangable. KS isn't changing (you can by their remote right now) and CrankBros looks to have changed little. You're saying you'd prefer the KS remote to your Kronolog's? My only remote experience is the Reverb which fits my setup perfectly. I hope I can easy hit the KS. I like the idea of their tucked in style over the protruding CrankBros.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The changeability of the remotes - that is what I thought. Yes, I like the KS remote better. I have not bought the kronolog yet, but it is on hold at my LBS. I believe the price is $280.00.
I am deciding if I should wait for the Lev, I also like the idea of 150mm travel. But the price is really steep - $450.00.
I am also little afraid of the side to side play of the Lev, but that might be unjustifiable.
The kronolog looks like does not have this problem, the design of the tube should not allow it...

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Where'd ya get that Blacx post thingee? How much? Looks pretty interesting. I like how their goal is to make something that is bombproof. But I threw it up on the Google and just like everyone else they had a previous post that broke all the time. I'd like to hear your thoughts when you get it set up.

I was set on the Lev myself, but that price is through the roof. I thought the Lev was going to be a totally new post. Now that I hear it's basically the same thing I'm backing off until I see some positive reviews and price drops.

Some day someone will make a dropper that's reliable and works right.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Bummer to hear the internals are the same after all the rumors of problems with the old ones. I was looking to pick up one of these too, but maybe I'll hold off.

·
Registered
692 Posts
My first i-950 was somewhat problematic. KS customer service is really good. Sent it in and they rebuilt the post and got it back fast. No real major problems since. It is slowly developing play fore and aft though.

It might be worth holding off until Thomson's CAS dropper post is released September. They're keeping very hush on it. My emails were responded to but nothing more detail wise than whats on the site. That's my plan of action anyway despite it being a little hefty. Decent price.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Two full seasons on my i900r with no issues. Its amazing how much variance there is in experience.
I think it might have something to do with peoples willingness/ability to maintain it themselves. Many of the problems some people warranty them with others report fixing by simply dismantling, cleaning, regreasing and reassembling. No problems yet for me on my i950 but its only months old so time will tell.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've had my mind set on a KS LEV when it was announed. Now the kronolog is out....not sure. The main drawcard of the LEV is the remote....wonder if you can use the KS remote with the kronolog

1 - 20 of 178 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.