Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a KS LEV with my new bike but this weekend I had some problems. TLDR, post worked poorly on yesterday's ride, didn't work at all on today's ride, but worked fine in the evening.

On Saturday the seat would not go down all the way. Or if I tried it 5-10 times eventually it would go down all the way but then when I wanted to drop the post later I would have to repeat 5-10 times.

Today, it would not drop at all on my ride.
I tried:
-Completely loosening the seat post clamp in case it was too tight.
-removing all air pressure with a pump (was at 150 lbs)
-verifying that when I hit the lever on my handlebars the mechanism was working underneath the red cover.

I let it sit in the garage in frustration and went to test it later and the post worked like a champ. The only thing I could think of was the post sat in my cool garage versus riding in the 80 degree weather today. So I tried to heat up the post with a hair dryer but it still worked fine. MAYBE it felt a little stiffer.

Anybody have this problem and figure out how to solve it?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Try removing the post from the bike and taking off the end cap to verify the internal cable is actually pushing the actuator rod in all the way. when putting the cap back on you have to compress the post all the way first then you tighten it up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'll try removing the end cap and checking. Hopefully since the seat is on the bike the problem won't be a problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The quick update is that I went for a quick ride yesterday with no problems even though I was trying to find one. I have been trying the seatpost in the morning when it's cold and in the new warm evenings and it works smoothly. I did nothing in between the post being absolutely stuck and it working smoothly. It appears to have healed itself. I'm of the opinion that "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but until it shows itself reliable, testing the post will become part of my "before I leave the house" checklist.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Interesting, my Lev did something similar about 2 weeks ago. I'm still not sure how I finally got it to drop again, it had been stuck as well, it also seemed to fix itself. Mine then wouldn't come up all the way and I had to air it up to 220psi to get it to return to the top of its travel again.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Most likely a cable adjustment issue. I would try to re-adjust the cable first. I had the same problem with mine before then I noticed the cable was off slightly. Adjusted it and worked fine again.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Have had the same thing happen on 2 different LEV's, the original about 6 months ago and just last night the LEV Titanium. Would not drop no matter what. Adjusted cable tension to the extremes (tight and loose), pulled cover to be sure everything was moving then magically then this morning on the Ti version and the following day on the original they worked like nothing ever happened. Huh...

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you encounter this issue after a cold ride try putting it in the freezer for about 15 mins and then actuate it. My post was a KS lev dx 150mm and the cartridge itself wouldn’t allow the push rod to depress the valve. The main symptom of this issue is the string snapping from the actuator and the push rod unable to activate the cartridge. I sent in my post last time this happened and it took nearly 2 months to get it back :/ So before you go mailing off your post try sticking it in the freezer for a bit... let it chill out.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I seem to recall riders having issues with their KS dropper from excessive clamp pressures on seatpost clamp??? Doesn't the manual recommend limits? Good luck, I've been riding my KS Lev for 5 years and as long as I keep the shaft lubed with Slick Honey it works great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts