Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as a Disclaimer...I did search for this stuff....but my stupid Internet doesn't let me see certain threads...I don't know why! I can not see the "adjustable seatpost" thread....

I've been using my Intense Tracer VP for the past 3 months...I ride fairly aggressive, I like to jump, etc. But I've never felt the need for lowering my seatpost, until today....I tried bunny hopping with the seat in XC position and BAM I fell...cut my hand pretty bad...Now I am sure an adjustable seatpost's gonna help a lot!

I was set on the Rock Shox reverb...did my little research on it...until I saw that I needed 195mm of clearence to run it.....I have a clearence of 175mm from the top of the seat post clamp to the bottom of the seats rails...

How much clearence does the KS i950 125mm seat post need? I would really like 125mm of adjustability...but theres a 75mm as well...although with a seat setback.

I'll appreciate your help! :)

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
Go to display modes and select linear it would allow you to see large thread.

This may help for your measurement. I'm not sure you get what you need. I can attach the i7r pic for you too, it's a 27.2mm post and 100mm travel just get the shim. Let me know what pic you need. I think you'd be close at 175mm

i7r

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey great pics! Thanks!

although I'm kinda sure it will work for my situation...I need the minimum seatpost extension needed for the i950 to work...Maybe I'm not being clear enough...

i.e. My seatpost (Thomson) protrudes 175mm. Can I use a 125mm i950 without problems? Obviously at the same height...

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
dhbomber said:
Hey great pics! Thanks!

although I'm kinda sure it will work for my situation...I need the minimum seatpost extension needed for the i950 to work...Maybe I'm not being clear enough...

i.e. My seatpost (Thomson) protrudes 175mm. Can I use a 125mm i950 without problems? Obviously at the same height...
The min height needed as mimi1885 posted is 6", plus the 125mm of travel that you want. Although, you do not have the run the seatpost at max height, however, it is not ideal.

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
macming said:
The min height needed as mimi1885 posted is 6", plus the 125mm of travel that you want. Although, you do not have the run the seatpost at max height, however, it is not ideal.
Macming, I think he has a small size frame and need 125mm travel+61mm to the rail=186mm minimum length needed to run the post at full length. I'm kind slow sorry but I think that's what you meant right, DHbomber?

I had similar problem as my bike is a bit too tall for me and I needed more room to extend the post all the way. From the look of it you should be fine especially when you go with adj post you can handle a bit higher saddle height in your case only 11mm.

I hope it's the right assumption on my part, if not we'll try to come up with and answer for you. Hey you are local to me, you can PM me if you want to test it out I'll bring my post so you can see how it fit, Intense is 31.6 I've got you covered.

I actually set mine up 20mm above the optimum height for steep climb:thumbsup:

Nice bike btw.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thanks for the help guys!
I really don't know if it will really fit....I ride a size medium Intense...I would need a little bit more clearence if I wanna ride a 5" adjustable seatpost...I think I have to go with something with a little bit less travel....Say 75mm?? like the old Joplin model. Bummer....

And I definitely don't want to run my seatpost higher than I should...It just doesn't work that way. :(

The deal breaker for me and the 75mm version KS i900 is the stupid setback they have!

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
dhbomber said:
I really don't know if it will really fit....I ride a size medium Intense...I would need a little bit more clearence if I wanna ride a 5" adjustable seatpost...I think I have to go with something with a little bit less travel....Say 75mm?? like the old Joplin model. Bummer....

And I definitely don't want to run my seatpost higher than I should...It just doesn't work that way. :(

The deal breaker for me and the 75mm version KS i900 is the stupid setback they have!
Like I said if you wanna try mine let me know, or there's another option of KS i7r 100mm travel.

·
Registered
144 Posts
dhbomber said:

You can get the i950 (no setback) in a 75mm travel version.

·
Tire Geek O_o
1,027 Posts
I am wating for my KS i950 (125mm), I am 175cm high, and ride a M sized 2008 Giant Reign, reading the posts, I am wondering if I ordered the wrong lenght for me. :S ?

·
Registered
954 Posts
I am wating for my KS i950 (125mm), I am 175cm high, and ride a M sized 2008 Giant Reign, reading the posts, I am wondering if I ordered the wrong lenght for me. :S ?
I think to a degree it would depend on your inseam

The min length seem pretty standard.. from the i900 to the newer i950r.
Have both and they measure 7 5/8" from the max u can insert to middle of seat rail...
The rest from this point on will actually depends on the thickness/height of your saddle...so from top of saddle to max insertion I would say you need between 9 to 9.5" depending on thickness of saddle (from rail to top of seat)

With 175mm cranks--my KS posts are slammed all the way to max insertion but now running 165mm cranks i have a wee bit more sticking out from the seat tube and thus have a wider range of saddles to choose from. I'm probably one of those lucky enough to be right at the border to use the 125mm drop version. Bike seat tube length is 18" C-T

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thought I'd ask here instead of starting another thread: what length of the i950 should I get (if I do decide to get one)? I currently have a Thomson elite on my gt force, and I measured it to be roughly 367mm. The highest seat position I usually have is about 9" from the seat clamp/collar to the seat rails. That still leaves a lot of room from the min insertion line. I usually lower it by at least 3". It is a 31.6mm post, so I was considering the 385m x 125mm travel post. Will that work? I'm only guessing 385 since it is the closest to the length of the current seatpost I have. Not sure if that is the way to go. It seems like the longer 435mm might stick out too much, but I do get 150mm of travel. And the 300mm might be too short and only has 75mm of travel.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
135 Posts
is the specified length for the ks950 seat post the maximum possible length? i.e., it includes the specified travel? looking at some of the pics of the seat post w/ tape measure above, it seems to be that way. if so, the 31.6 x 485mm - 150mm might be what i need. thanks in advance.

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
Is this still going on you Force? If yes I think if you have 9" of seat post length to work with you can even get the shorter one of the 2 choices of the KS Supernatural.

Let me know if I can help you with the measurement I can post the pic for you if you need to confirm some thing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
thanks! yes, it is still going to be used on my force. i guess i don't understand what you meant by going w/ the shorter length. will that leave enough room from the min insertion line? just to clarify, the 9" that i mentioned in my previous post is only the length from the seat clamp to the seat rails. that' how i have it during the highest seat position. the full seat post length is 367mm (~14"). so i was thinking either the 385mm or 435mm will work. but i realized that the the 435mm might be the better option due to the 6" travel. i did try pushing in the thompson elite down the seat tube as far as i could and it went all the way in, so there should be a lot of room. only downside i can think of the longer length might be the weight and the price.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts